Diesel Fuel "Gelled" Due To Cold???

Had a 2018 Sierra 2500 for a loaner while my 1500 was having warranty work done. We got a couple 0 degree days here in St Louis during the polar vortex and the 2500 went into limp mode and wouldn't allow me to go above 25 mph. CEL came on and a message popped up "Reduced Engine Power". I was 30 miles from the dealer that loaned it to me and they sent someone out and gave me a 2019 Silverado 1500. Next day they towed the 2500 back and found the diesel fuel had "gelled" from the cold temps.

Curious, is this common in diesels? I let it warm up for at least 5 minutes before driving as I know diesels need a little more warm up time than gas engines. How could it idle and drive up to 25 mph with the fuel "gelled" as the dealer put it? Didn't shake or sputter, just had the rpm limiter kick in at 25 mph.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

Yes this happens.  Its luck that it did idle.  Most times the filter gets a wax in it and doesn't flow fuel.  In your case it let enough fuel threw to idle, but as the rpms and load increases it cant supply enough fuel to do this.  Diesel needs to be cut or have additives in it to keep it from gelling.

Yeah I've heard diesel gells, however since I'm in Florida I've never had that issue.  Coldest my truck has seen is low 20s for a few days.  There are anti gelling additives you can pick up at the stores or order online to prevent this.  What I'm jealous about is that you gave your 1500 up for warranty and the dealer loaned you a 2500!  I give them my 3500HD and I get a friggin Enclave :'(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Yeah I've heard diesel gells, however since I'm in Florida I've never had that issue.  Coldest my truck has seen is low 20s for a few days.  There are anti gelling additives you can pick up at the stores or order online to prevent this.  What I'm jealous about is that you gave your 1500 up for warranty and the dealer loaned you a 2500!  I give them my 3500HD and I get a friggin Enclave :'(

Ha! Yeah I'm fortunate to have a really good dealership by me. They try to get you in a similar loaner to what you brought in, their 1500's were all being used at the time so they brought me a diesel. I have a Sierra Denali 1500 and they even found a 2500 Denali to match the trim, crazy.

• Sad 1

On 2/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, midwestdenaliguy said:

Had a 2018 Sierra 2500 for a loaner while my 1500 was having warranty work done. We got a couple 0 degree days here in St Louis during the polar vortex and the 2500 went into limp mode and wouldn't allow me to go above 25 mph. CEL came on and a message popped up "Reduced Engine Power". I was 30 miles from the dealer that loaned it to me and they sent someone out and gave me a 2019 Silverado 1500. Next day they towed the 2500 back and found the diesel fuel had "gelled" from the cold temps.

Curious, is this common in diesels? I let it warm up for at least 5 minutes before driving as I know diesels need a little more warm up time than gas engines. How could it idle and drive up to 25 mph with the fuel "gelled" as the dealer put it? Didn't shake or sputter, just had the rpm limiter kick in at 25 mph.

There are winter diesel blends that can prevent it.

Obviously that's not what was in the loaner.

Normal diesel is #2.

#1 has a much lower gell point, but also has less BTU's per gallon so mileage is worse. Require more refining, so price isn't reduced -- hence #2 is used where and when possible.

Some areas will get appropriate blends of #1 and #2. Some places have both available so you can make your own blend. 

Additives are also available that can lower the cloud point - and sometimes get on going that has gelled.

Sometimes warming it back up is all that's needed.  Sometimes new fuel filters are also necessary.

There's lot's more to it, but that's sort of a summary.

• Like 3

On 2/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, midwestdenaliguy said:

I bet that loaner was sitting on the lot, had last been fueled up in October before changeover to Winter blends.

Actually, diesel has a triple whammy going on when cold.  Petro diesel has a cloud point that it will start bonding molecules at roughly +15F.  The cold filter plug point soon follows.   Biodiesel, which seems to be in most diesel nowadays in various percentages, has a cloud point of around +32F.  And then there is also the issue of any moisture in the tank.  Diesel fuel in the tank gets warm when the engine is run because fuel is returned to the tank from the rail on the engine.  when that diesel cools down in the tank when it is shut off, condensation can be a problem.   

That is why whenever the temp is going to be below 32F, treat the fuel and keep the tank close to as full as possible.    if it is going to be in polar vortex territory like we experienced, then mixing #1 diesel at about 20-30% is a good idea along with adding a good anti-gel, anti-icing product.  

My semi truck was out and about all thru the polar vortex stuff last week.  In Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, etc.  Not a single issue with fuel.  Did notice the fuel filter needing replaced by Friday, but I did it while fueling the truck before it became an issue.   I go thru about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year.  I have learned a few things about cold weather and diesel in the last 50 years  of driving and operating equipment.

All that macho glamour of diesel falls away pretty quick when one is sidelined along the road at -20F and having to change a filter all by themselves in that cold.  Even worse if it happens at night.    And that is assuming one is carrying a spare fuel filter and tools to do the job.  A good diesel owner does stuff like that.   I use diesel vehicles when there is no other way to get the job done and avoid diesel vehicles whenever I can get by without them.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I recently had the same issue on my way from Ohio to St.Paul (and eventually, Montana). We don’t have multiple fuel options at home in Ohio like western states do. Before leaving, I topped off my tank in Ohio and added a 16oz bottle of PowerService (white bottle). It wasn’t enough. 

Coming out of Ohio and thru Indiana, temps kept dropping into the negative, and I saw more and more semis on the side of the road and at truck stops. I was heading right into a strong wind, with ambient temps approaching -25F. My  truck didn’t register any codes or warnings, but it started to “shudder” going down the highway, especially when light power was applied or going up small inclines. At the next opportunity, I pulled into a truck stop to top off with fuel, double my dose of white bottle, and add a bit of red bottle 911. Ironically, the truck stop I was at was OUT of every single additive they had on their shelves.

I made it thru to St.Paul just fine, and it started fine early the following morning. We were pulling a light 2-place trailer (with horrible wind resistance) from there on. The truck lightly shuddered a few more times from there to West Yellowstone and back, but nothing like that first time coming into Indiana. I mainly used #2 while out west because the temps were fairly decent; still adding white bottle additive, but did use 50/50 whenever I could on my way back.

I drained the fuel bowl for about 15min after returning home to Ohio, and didn’t see any water in there. I’ve ordered a replacement fuel filter to keep with me, just Incase.

What I learned is that I got lucky. I also will do at least a double dose of the 32oz white bottle of Power Service per tank when/if temps are expected to drop into the stupid low ranges. Aaaaand, that red bottle magic really works when you need it most.

Edited by Icutmetl

• 2 weeks later...

Gelling is quite common with biodiesel and only starting in 2011 did GM consider it OK to use as they added a heater for the fuel. There may be an aftermarket additive and if I lived where biodiesel was the only option I would be looking for it.

4 minutes ago, Wintersun said:

Gelling is quite common with biodiesel and only starting in 2011 did GM consider it OK to use as they added a heater for the fuel. There may be an aftermarket additive and if I lived where biodiesel was the only option I would be looking for it.

GM still recommends avoiding biodiesel in cold temperatures. 

2018 Diesel Supplement Biodiesel section says: 

"At temperatures below 32 °F (0 °C), it is recommended to switch to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel with no biodiesel content, or to blends with biodiesel containing less than 5% by volume.

At these extreme cold temperatures, biodiesel blends higher than 5% by volume may cause fuel filter plugging and system gelling, which can lead to vehicle operability problems."

In warm weather, biodiesel blends need to be 20% or lower. 

• 2 years later...