Long Term Resale Value - RST or Trail Boss?

I have been pricing out an RST with All Star, Z71, Convenience package 2, and the 20 inch rim. The MSRP is pretty close to a similar equipped Trail Boss.

The street price on the RST might be a little lower, but Apples to Apples any thoughts on which one would hold it's value better? I usually keep trucks 3 to 4 years because the road salt is brutal up here in NY.

I just have a gut feeling a used car dealer is going to get a premium for the trail boss version which might bring a better trade value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Best thing you can do is buy what you want. But I would speculate that the TB may be a little bit hotter on the used market. That said, the two trucks sort of appeal to different crowds, and I don’t think there will be a huge difference in the end with either one.

It’s been my experience that the bigger features/ options that really swing the demand and resale value. 6.2 will always do better (although not available on either), 4WD (a given), sunroof, crew cab, etc. Ultimately I don’t consider the 2” lift on the TB to be in quite the same category as it’s easily added to any truck. Try that with some of the other things I listed.

2 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I have been pricing out an RST with All Star, Z71, Convenience package 2, and the 20 inch rim. The MSRP is pretty close to a similar equipped Trail Boss.

The street price on the RST might be a little lower, but Apples to Apples any thoughts on which one would hold it's value better? I usually keep trucks 3 to 4 years because the road salt is brutal up here in NY.

I just have a gut feeling a used car dealer is going to get a premium for the trail boss version which might bring a better trade value.

Personally, I think a Trailboss will have a better resale down the line since there will be less of them available then the more common RST.  Ultimately, I would say buy what you like the most.

I'm torn. I like the looks of the trail boss better, but the practical side of me (mpg, and lower step in height for wife/kids) says the RST might be the way to go. Im not a chrome guy so not much interest in higher up trims.

10 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I'm torn. I like the looks of the trail boss better, but the practical side of me (mpg, and lower step in height for wife/kids) says the RST might be the way to go. Im not a chrome guy so not much interest in higher up trims.

You could always buy side steps :)

11 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

You can always install the GM factory 2" TrailBoss/AT4 lift on your RST down the road.

My TB has steps that were dealer installed.  My wife wouldn't be able to get into it without them.  Honestly I don't think there will be much difference in resale so I wouldn't let that be a determining factor.

Condition will be a much more important factor at resale time.  Buy the truck you prefer and keep it well maintained.  Purchasing a truck and customizing it to your personal likes may negatively impact resale value.  

It seems like the RST is probably going to be a high market trim and have better incentives than the TB ever will. So the TB might have higher resale, but you will have to spend a couple Grand more to get it.

Our local dealer has 40 rst and only 2 TB with almost no markdown for the TB.

RST is more volume and will appeal to a wider range of buyers. If you trade in your truck later ... probably won't matter. But if you sell private party.. the RST will likely sell quicker. 

Kinda like Double Cab vs Crew Cab

1)Domestic half ton pick up

2) Good resale value

^^^Pick one :D

I'm sure there will be some that disagree but from what I've seen the domestic trucks hold their value about as well as the German luxury cars. The only thing that seems to hold its value are Japanese vehicles.

The only domestic trucks that seem to hold their value are the 2500/250 series diesels. 

Edited by Chris walker

44 minutes ago, Chris walker said:

1)Domestic half ton pick up

2) Good resale value

^^^Pick one :D

I'm sure there will be some that disagree but from what I've seen the domestic trucks hold their value about as well as the German luxury cars. The only thing that seems to hold its value are Japanese vehicles.

The only domestic trucks that seem to hold their value are the 2500/250 series diesels. 

Huh? when I look at my dealer's website today, they are asking close to 80% of the price I paid new for my now 3+ year old 2015 truck for the same ones with similar miles to mine. How is that not holding their value? 

But for sure, if you are concerned with trade-in value down the road, keep it in good condition and as close to stock as possible. Mods don't add any value at trade-in.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1