Gorehamj

GM Kills Off A Top-Selling Segment Leader - The Chevy Volt

Volt 16 34 1200.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2-28-2019

Today marks the official end to General Motors' most successful green vehicle, the Chevy Volt. The Volt went out as the current sales leader in the electric vehicle segment produced by GM. In 2018, the Volt outsold the Bolt, and for the past three sales years had stomped its original nemesis, the Nissan Leaf, into the compost pile, outselling it by 2 to 1 at certain points in that span, and handily outselling the Leaf for each of those years. The only other affordable electric vehicle to consistently outsell the Volt over the past couple of years was the Toyota Prius Prime. 

The Chevy Volt wasn't just a success in its own small world. Since its inception, the Volt outsold the EVs made by every German luxury brand, by Ford, by Toyota, by all of the FCA brands, by Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru, and many other important vehicles manufactures - combined. To call the Volt anything other than a smashing success within its segment is an understatement.

If you are a political junkie, you may remember that former President Barack Obama once visited the plant that built the Volt and said that once he was done being President he'd buy one. He has not kept that promise.  

The Volt also broke through its green car status by being a Motor Trend Car of the Year, and an award winner in general vehicle categories by Car and Driver and Motorweek

GM has now discontinued building Volts, a fact that GM-Trucks confirmed with GM's Katie Minter. The 2019 Volt is still on sale until inventory is consumed. That could take a few months, possibly more. If we have any members who own Volts, perhaps they could offer their personal opinions on the vehicle.  

What a shame.  But no surprise from GM.  They kill off good things and invent.. stupid things now a days. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And what is the rational thought behind this insane move? 

Wait, just let the wife read this and she said one word:

IDIOTS!

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Posted (edited)

Those news from GM are slightly confusing.

Didn't they just close plants all over North America because the products didn't sell well?

Also, I thought that the intention was to save money and re-invest in EV's?

Now they have a running horse and take it out of the race?

What am I missing?

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing if you are thinking like I am- the slow eventual death of GM if they continue this course. 

• Haha 1

No surprise indeed.

Most Domestic Sedans are being killed off.

Why? Gas prices are low.... SUV's and Trucks are in high demand. This trend will change.

• Like 1

Isn’t it funny that some of the remaining popular cars out there are rear drive. And recently the ( foreign car) that are being voted most popular are rear drive large cars. Add to that people prefer large pickups and SUVs that are V-8 rear drive. The car manufacturers that are eliminating front drive cars are so called domestic. I don’t see Dodge- Chrysler in a hurry to eliminate rear drive cars. Maybe Ford- GM needs to get their head out their a$$ and look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

over priced electric cars are not for the masses, it's all about making money, not wasting it.  the money is in cheap electric cars  like the chinese made Spark from GM

46 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

over priced electric cars are not for the masses, it's all about making money, not wasting it.  the money is in cheap electric cars  like the chinese made Spark from GM

Which is why Tesla is in trouble.

• Like 1

GM seems to very much be in transition mode right now. 

They are cancelling and closing all kind of stuff, with a promise of an electrified and autonomous future.  Until we see that autonomous electrical tree bear fruit, well, I think we will all be left with more questions than answers. 

Gm never intended the "Volt" to be anything other than a 1-2 model year run?  They were clear on that even before the "Volt" 2.0 was built....

Posted (edited)

If you ask me, it sounds like the volt was just a test vehicle for greater things to come. Electric vehicles are going to explode. There's the Rivian pickup truck, the f150 will be going electric; anyone notice the ecopo Camaro? I've read that the C8 could have a hybrid version, electric motors in front, 5.5 twinturbo v8 for the rear wheels pushing a 1000hp. Only downside is more green house emissions if everyone goes electric, (vs internal combustion).

Edited by M1ck3y

44 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

If you ask me, it sounds like the volt was just a test vehicle for greater things to come. Electric vehicles are going to explode. There's the Rivian pickup truck, the f150 will be going electric; anyone notice the ecopo Camaro? I've read that the C8 could have a hybrid version, electric motors in front, 5.5 twinturbo v8 for the rear wheels pushing a 1000hp. Only downside is more green house emissions if everyone goes electric, (vs internal combustion).

I have one word for ya' all thinking this just has to be the future.                                     

EDSEL  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Electric vehicles will likely grow in popularity....when gas is stupid expensive and electric cars are equally as affordable as an comparable gasoline counterpart. 

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I have one word for ya' all thinking this just has to be the future.                                     

EDSEL  

Yup, products, technology and businesses fail all of the time. I don't pretend to be a fortune teller, I'm looking at the market and what appears to be happening. But since you have that crystal ball, I would really like to know the next winning lotto #!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      11-3-2017
      October was the month that the Chevy Bolt shot past the competition to be the number-one selling electric vehicle in America. With sales of 2,781 units, the Bolt led the pack with the Volt in number three overall with sales of 1,362 units. The Bolt outsold the entirety of Tesla's three models, which totaled just 2,115 units. This is the third straight month of Bolt sales above 2,000 units, and its ninth month of steady sales increases as the launch of the 238-mile affordable EV reaches its full potential. 

The Toyota Prius Prime was in second place for the month and the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid Electric Minivan was in fourth.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      12-12-2016
      For the first time ever, no V8 engines are on the Wards 10 Best Engine list. Wards is all about turbos and hybrids these days. Chevy picked up an award for the Volt's 1.5-liter EREV (extended range electric vehicle) engine. The Volt engine sports a 42 MPG rating when operating as a hybrid. GM's second-generation Volt motor is also 100 pounds lighter than the first generation and the Volt has an all-electric range of 53 miles (about 13 more than the EVangelists tell is all anyone who matters really needs).

Wards says that the Volt engine is "...one of the most innovative and disruptive propulsion systems ever produced." Disruptive is all the rage these days. One thing we like about the Volt and its engine is that it is within striking range of being the top-selling EV in America this year with 21,048 units sold. Remember, iven if you are not a fan of EVs, every EV (and its ZEV credits) GM creates enables that many more V8s for Trucks, Camaros, and Corvettes.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      8-1-2016
      This morning, Chevrolet announced in a press release that its Chevy Volt has surpassed the 100,000 vehicle's sold mark. The upbeat press release sings the praises of the Volt, but are sales of 100K units since 2010 really reason for celebration? That depends on your viewpoint of green cars.

The Volt began sales in 2010. However, production had not been fully worked out until about 14 months later in early 2012. By then, Chevy was capable of producing about 2,000 Volts per month if it chose to do so. Volt sales peaked in August of 2013 at 3,350 units sold. It was the only month that the Volt broke 3,000 units. Sales have plateaued for the Volt. This despite being transitioned to sales not just in the 11 CAR-compliant states that mandate EV sales, but in all states as of March of this year. Adding the other 39 states did not boost sales to previous highs. Chevy has not broken 2,000 units since October of 2015 (July sales numbers were not available at the time of this writing). The Prius presently outsells the Volt by about 5 to 1.

EV advocates look at the Volt differently. First, there are the fanatical EVangelists who will decry that since it uses gasoline, the Volt is not even a green car. Others take a more pragmatic approach and will point to Chevy's argument that "Volt drivers have saved nearly 58 million gallons of fuel." That claim is based on a comparison to the average vehicle's 25 MPG fuel efficiency. Compare the Volt to the 50 MPG+ Prius or Ford Fusion Energi Plug-in and the results of the comparison are very different.

Chevy (Bob Lutz in particular) deserves congratulations for thinking outside the box. EVs that have some sort of on-board gasoline range extender now outsell battery-electric EVs and the market has a clear preference for plug-in hybrids when affordability is considered. With the new, all-electric, 200-mile 2017 Chevy Bolt scheduled to begin production in two months, it will be very interesting to see how the Volt and Bolt do when sold side-by-side.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      12/15/2015
      General Motors has scored two "Top Ten Engines" awards from WardsAuto. The first is a favorite of this writer, the 3.6-liter V6 found in the all-new Chevrolet Camaro. The 3.6-liter, normally aspirated engine has been around a while, but it has improved like a fine wine. Drew Winter, director, Content at WardsAuto said of the engine, “The 3.6 delivers the kind of power (335 hp) and lusty exhaust note you associate with a V-8 for the price of a V-6. Plus, it’s loaded with advanced technology, including fuel-saving cylinder deactivation.” Personally, I like it because it offers great power, torque and fuel economy and does not have a turbocharger. Even better, the specs you see, and the fuel economy numbers posted by EPA, all use regular unleaded as the fuel.

The second engine is the 2016 Volt's new 1.5-liter range extender. I like it because to me, suffering range anxiety in an affordable car while trying to be green seems ridiculous. GM's Volt idea made sense when Lutz came up with it, and it makes a lot more sense now that electricity is more expensive as a fuel than is gasoline. Mr. Winter said of the Volt's "propulsion system", “General Motors has taken what already is the most innovative and disruptive propulsion system in the auto industry and made it lighter, stronger and a lot more fun to drive. In fact, the new Voltec system delivers the impossible: an exciting electric car with zero range anxiety.”

How about that? Two stories in a week about engines and we still have not mentioned the Duramax - Oops!

• By Gorehamj

The second engine is the 2016 Volt's new 1.5-liter range extender. I like it because to me, suffering range anxiety in an affordable car while trying to be green seems ridiculous. GM's Volt idea made sense when Lutz came up with it, and it makes a lot more sense now that electricity is more expensive as a fuel than is gasoline. Mr. Winter said of the Volt's "propulsion system", “General Motors has taken what already is the most innovative and disruptive propulsion system in the auto industry and made it lighter, stronger and a lot more fun to drive. In fact, the new Voltec system delivers the impossible: an exciting electric car with zero range anxiety.”

How about that? Two stories in a week about engines and we still have not mentioned the Duramax - Oops!