If things haven't changed from previous trucks, the rear could be like 2.5-3in taller in the rear than the front depending on the vehicle and what it came equipped with. So only lowering the rear 2 inches means it won't match the front exactly.

Edited by CamGTP

On 4/4/2020 at 6:12 PM, Ryan Valterria said:

I installed the maxtac ”leveling kit” 2” drop shackles on my 2020 Sierra elevation 2wd  crew cab short box. My truck still sits a little high in the back anyone else have this issue?

Mine is within 1/4-1/2" all the way around. Not sure it'll get much closer than that. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2019 trailboss. Debating on going with the rough country spacer that goes on the strut or dropping the rear to get the level look I want. 

for those who went with the rear drop shackles. How do you flip the shim around on the leaf springs. 

can someone give me some steps on how to do it?  

Its not hard to do. You loosen the u bolts that attach the rear end to the leaf springs. Then there is a bolt that goes right thru the middle of the leaf spring pack. Loosen that bolt and spin the shim from the fat part facing forward to it facing the back of the truck. Tighten everything back up and you are done.

I used c clamps to hold the leaf springs together and take the tension off of the bolt going through them. Just chock your wheels and be ready to have to push/pull the axle into place if you have to lift the truck enough to allow the alignment pins to come out of their holes. I used ratchet straps to pull the axle in the direction I needed to to get them back into place. If you can get the center bolt loose without having to clamp the bolt head you're good. 

• 5 weeks later...

IMG_20200531_133651764_HDR.thumb.jpg.4143321f7f80082d5db069bc1200ceff.jpgI installed the Maxtrac shackles today in my 20 Silverado. The drivers side took a little longet bc we did not raise truck enough to get sufficient tension out of the spring. The passenger took longer because we couldn't get the hole to line up on the lower mount to put the bolt theough . I put it in the 2in position bc so many said they still had rake...now it looks like it has reverse rake. Thoughts from the gallery? We didn't flip the shim. I didn't have it in me today

Edited by dtholmanmax

From that picture the back does look lower than the front. Maybe drive it around a few days for the suspension to settle in to see how it looks. You could always raise it back up a little it you need to. I set mine on the 1.5" hole because I wS afraid the back might be lower than I wanted. I like having a little rake.

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who had the vibrations at 30 mph, was it a vibration like an out of balance tire, or more of a rumble in the cab? 

I am experiencing this even though i haven't lowered the rear. I think mine might be pinion angle related as well. It seems as though some trucks came with shims and others didn't.

Wanted to follow up on this to see what kind of vibes y’all were experiencing now that there are more people on this thread.

I have a Denali with the shims, stock height and have this annoying rumble. It could be the torque converter but I think it might be pinion related. I’ve had two loaner trucks with no shims and no rumble (both 8 speeds as well). Seems like gm arbitrarily put shims in some and not in others. In my case I think the stock shims are causing my problem and most likely going to remove them all together but wanted to check before I’ll pulled my rear end apart.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, hotrodz37 said:

Wanted to follow up on this to see what kind of vibes y’all were experiencing now that there are more people on this thread.

I have a Denali with the shims, stock height and have this annoying rumble. It could be the torque converter but I think it might be pinion related. I’ve had two loaner trucks with no shims and no rumble (both 8 speeds as well). Seems like gm arbitrarily put shims in some and not in others. In my case I think the stock shims are causing my problem and most likely going to remove them all together but wanted to check before I’ll pulled my rear end apart.

Thanks!

Mine felt like rumble strips before flipping the shims around around 30-40mph. Only drove a few miles like this so I don't have much more than that. Also had new tires installed by the dealer at 5k because the old one vibrated above 60

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, moonmaan said:

question that i didn't see an answer for. apologies if i missed it.

dropped rear 2 inches. now getting rumble at 30mph. but my truck doesn't have shims. any easy fix for me?

You need to install some shims. Something like 2* or more depending on the angles. Belltech sells them for about $25. They install between the spring pack and the axle.

I finally installed my drop shackles last night and went straight to 2* shims at the same time and had no weird vibrations at any speeds all the way up to the speed limiter or while slowing down.

Edited by dram1983361

3 minutes ago, dram1983361 said:

You need to install some shims. Something like 2* or more depending on the angles. Belltech sells them for about $25. They install between the spring pack and the axle.

I finally installed my drop shackles last night and went straight to 2* shims at the same time and had no weird vibrations at any speeds all the way up to the speed limiter or while slowing down.

cool beans. thanks, man.

Do you guys have any tips for spinning the shim, or any advice on the best way to do it?

From the looks of it you have to jack up the truck, put jack stands on the frame rails, jack up the rear end, unbolt the u-bolts, let the diff come down on the jack a little to separate from the leaf pack, loosen the centering pin and spin the shim and put it back together?

Am I missing anything or am I making this too complicated?

Thanks in advance for any help!