autostop eliminator

5 hours ago, eppieguy said:

I've got mine but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, not too excited abut ripping apart the console and dash.

Where are you in NJ?

If you run into problems let me know. It was harder to get the dash back together than getting it apart.

Just take your time. My other half was amazed that there was no cursing coming from the garage.

I had the A.S.E. first gen and it did eliminate the autostop feature but also would not let me turn the autostop back on if I wanted it. I know it had an issue where it would not let the truck "sleep" and the battery would go dead if you did not drive it every day. One time when I turned the lane assist on the autostop kept turning on/off until I turned the lane assist off. It only did that once and never did it again. I received the updated A.S.E. a few weeks back and installed it, and sent the old A.S.E. back to them. The updated A.S.E. has worked flawlessly and I would recommend it to anyone. I do like using the autostop feature in chicago where the stoplights are 5 minutes long, definitely saves fuel there. Not a good feature where I live in a small town though and its great to not have to hit that stupid button every time I start the truck.

Edited by BeardBros

13 hours ago, FDHog said:

Where are you in NJ?

If you run into problems let me know. It was harder to get the dash back together than getting it apart.

Just take your time. My other half was amazed that there was no cursing coming from the garage.

I’m in Somerville, 

On 6/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, Belo said:

i kind of understand under certain circumstances why someone would want to disable afm, but mostly it's very unnoticeable and what the add doesn't mention is your increased fuel consumption...

now this autostart thing on the other hand has me bonkers. Just not sure it's $80 bonkers though. 

with AFM or DFM one has lifters continually pumping up/or collapsing. On the DFM the mechanics are more complex and a bigger chance for failure.  Most folks cut off AFM/DFM to cut down on all this mechanical wear of on/off lifters etc...On the AFM, I read that GM said the gas savings from AFM was less than a mile per gallon. IF one drives in traffic with traffic lights etc... on a regular basis, the stop/start will/should save one more gas. 

My AFM is off. No stop/start yet but when I do get one, it will be disabled too.  I agree, Just nice to have the option.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, Jessica Lambert said:

I can give the forum members here a coupon code for 10% off. Anyone can now use coupon code GMTRUCKS at checkout to save 10% on the Autostop Eliminator through June 30.  https://www.autostopeliminator.com/store/p12/silverado-sierra-ae004.html

That will make the Autostop Eliminator $71.99. The Range is $189.99. That makes the Autostop Eliminator $118 cheaper.

They are different products. You should choose whatever you think will work best for you, but we do thank you for the consideration. But hey, by asking, you got a coupon code for anyone that was maybe on the fence. So, I'm sure they will thank you!  

Jessica,once installed does it just stop the auto start ?does the truck still goes on 4 cylinders when stopped?

Thanks

12 hours ago, rmkmb said:

Jessica,once installed does it just stop the auto start ?does the truck still goes on 4 cylinders when stopped?

Thanks

It only impacts the Auto Stop-Start. It does not change the cylinder deactivation / AFM.

Edited by Jessica Lambert

Also installed one of the newer units and works as advertised. Good quality product.

One less thing to do after starting the vehicle! 

I just got mine in the mail, forgot about the discount but not a problem since this company has such a good repretation and product.

I am on the road next week up by canada and will install mine one evening in the hotel parking lot.

Tom

I notice there's not too many (none) senior enthusiast posters jumping to stuff this in their $50K toy. Been around too long to trust a fairly new gizmo designed to fool a complex system.in my toy.

Here's my .02 worth of opinion:

Easier to hit the stupid button every now and then than to disable s/s by giving Humpty Dumpty a console-ectomy. Only takes 15 mins to install the gizmo and that's exactly how long it takes to void the electrical warranty and possibly the starter motor and transmission warranty. Once a dealer detects installation of an aftermarket electrical gizmo you're warranty is SOL.

Ever occur that although you can do something, but maybe you shouldn't? Maybe not such a good idea to permanently defeat the system unless you know how it affects other systems in the long term. Not familiar with the s/s operation and the Silvy 8 speed, but plenty of info out there on s/s operation on transverse tranny setups with GM 6, 8 and 9 speeds. Defeat systems gizmos for the Traverse are a quickie 1 minute install/remove under the hood and involve modification of the remote start procedure. But they can be removed without a time consuming revision console-ectomy and thus no longer detectable when brought to the dealer for service, because when detected it is grounds for the dealer voiding the electrical warranty, and maybe other  systems which are flexed on remote restart. A permanent defeat type system does not flex any of the normally cycling s/s components, i.e. split starter solenoid engagement of the flywheel, pressure servo in the tranny, etc.. Might be worth a little more research and guinea pig usage before wiring a non OEM gizmo into a $50K toy that you hope to keep under warranty

Some background info on s/s systems, some GM pubs:

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=8495

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=8493

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=7575

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/9txx/

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109687_dont-start-stop-systems-wear-out-your-cars-starter

My main reason for not sticking one in my Traverse, which lacks a simple defeat switch, concerns long term effects on the tranny. When the motor is stopped so are the pressure generating pump and servos in the tranny designed to apply pressure to the bands during an auto stop cycle. Absent constant pressure results in a delayed restart and possible band slippage upon waking from an autostop cycle. To prevent this a hydraulic servo is recharged while the engine is running and the pressure maintained on the tranny's bands fed during the stop cycle for a seamless start and takeoff.

The question I asked myself is: What will happen to the condition of the servos and hydraulic activators designed for millions of cycles if they remained idle for months, years? Likewise the ability of the forward end of the split solenoid to disengage after years of idle attachment to the rear half. Not good when mechanical/hydraulic automotive components remain idle for a long period.

Can't exactly say years of research went into a gizmo designed for a 2019 GM product. I've decided it's easier to push a button for now and let others act as guinea pigs. Looking forward to users re-posts in a few years.

• Like 1

As long as I can hit the disable button that came with and it works, then I'm fine with that.

Takes about 2 seconds for me to that after I start the truck.

But, I have absolutely nothing against getting that gizmo that totally and completely disables it either.