Bug Deflector/ Hood Protector Questions GMC Sierra

This is my first post on this forum and I figured I better say Hi!

"HI"  Last week I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra 5.3 SLT 4x4 and am really loving it so far! I will be doing some mods to it since I am not a fan of the AFM. The question I have is about aftermarket bug deflectors. Have any of you had any issues using them such as increased wind noise or flapping around? I am trying to make a decision on what to buy. I also do not want to risk damaging the paint as I keep my trucks for at least 10 years unless something terrible happens... 

2693.jpg

• Like 1

I had a clear vinyl applied to the nose of my 2010 Sierra. 8 1/2 years later it still looks great and has saved me from countless chips.  I love it because unless you are looking for it you can't tell it's there. Most tint shops can install one for you.

1 hour ago, 14wntr said:

This is my first post on this forum and I figured I better say Hi!

"HI"  Last week I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra 5.3 SLT 4x4 and am really loving it so far! I will be doing some mods to it since I am not a fan of the AFM. The question I have is about aftermarket bug deflectors. Have any of you had any issues using them such as increased wind noise or flapping around? I am trying to make a decision on what to buy. I also do not want to risk damaging the paint as I keep my trucks for at least 10 years unless something terrible happens... 

2693.jpg

As mentioned AVS Aeroskin, great fit and you can check if they carry your paint code...and Welcome to the site!

E3B6F81C-01E3-4E02-A0B0-00A38AC2C442.jpeg

Edited by SS502

I have the AVS "Hoodflector". It is in between the aeroskin and the original "Bugflector" It's a medium profile and looks great. I got the regular smoke color and it matched my vent shades. I have not noticed any wind noise or rattling or anything like that.

https://lundinternational.com/newproducts/bug+deflectors+and+hood+protectors/hoodflector

• Like 1

I have a Westin Deflector on my 17’. I haven’t noticed any fluttering issues. One issue I and so many have run into is the screws that come with some of these aren’t long enough. 

Get a RANGE if you don’t want to go full tune to get rid of AFM.

12 hours ago, Crazypontiac03 said:

I have a Westin Deflector on my 17’. I haven’t noticed any fluttering issues. One issue I and so many have run into is the screws that come with some of these aren’t long enough. 

Get a RANGE if you don’t want to go full tune to get rid of AFM.

How does it screw down? You had to drill holes in your hood? 

28 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

How does it screw down? You had to drill holes in your hood? 

I think he is talking about the older ones that ran up under the lip of the hood. You would attach them with 4 screws into PRE-DRILLED holes that were already there from the factory. The screws had like a rubber washer and it looked like a self-tapping screw that was very short. It was short because if it was too long it would go through and contact your hood. Here is a picture of the old style where the screw would go in... 

Screw hole.jpg

• Like 1

Ohh okay, come to think of it, the Bugflector on my old '00 Mercury Mountaineer was like that I think. The Hoodflector I have now has that 3M tape running the length of it and sticks to the hood and has two clips that attach to the underside.

• Like 1

I have the AVS Aeroskin on both my 2018 Silverados. No wind noise at all. They stick on with 3M tape. They are not moving after it's stuck. They come color matched or smoke. These are both color matched.

15475933965871971218065605365038.thumb.jpg.15077fd440a15d27422e2459eb1dbe3e.jpg

15480386732424865038920568619390.thumb.jpg.359935b01f03a9ef1dc39bad0e3ec2b4.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I have the AVS Aeroskin on both my 2018 Silverados. No wind noise at all. They stick on with 3M tape. They are not moving after it's stuck. They come color matched or smoke.

15475933965871971218065605365038.thumb.jpg.15077fd440a15d27422e2459eb1dbe3e.jpg

15480386732424865038920568619390.thumb.jpg.359935b01f03a9ef1dc39bad0e3ec2b4.jpg

Man, those look great! The color match is spot on, it took me a second looks to see them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

Man, those look great! The color match is spot on, it took me a second looks to see them.

Yes, they color match really well. The fit is very, very good on both Chevrolet and the GMC (see mine above) and as @dieselfan1 mentioned, they are not gonna move once installed!

18 hours ago, maxco said:

I had a clear vinyl applied to the nose of my 2010 Sierra. 8 1/2 years later it still looks great and has saved me from countless chips.  I love it because unless you are looking for it you can't tell it's there. Most tint shops can install one for you.

This is what I had done to mine as well. I prefer it over a deflector, but some of those pictured above sure do look nice.

I will do the protector on any future purchases as well.

• Like 1