Tuners

Looking for some info on tuners. And maybe a good brand to go with for a 2014 Silverado Ltz. I’ve tried doing some research on them but find vague info on them. Do they come with settings on them or do you tune them yourself? I’ve read something about unlocking something on vehicles? I have also read that you can take off a “speed limiter”, what’s that do? Just prevent the truck cutting out at 99mph? I guess I’m looking to maybe gaining back some mpg’s from putting on aftermarket wheels and tires. I know nothing about tuning shift points and all that. If I could get some detailed info someone that has some knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

I severely recommend finding yourself a local guy that does street tunes. To many variables to waste money on mail order tunes or handheld tuners. A good custom street tune shouldn't cost much more than 400 bucks.

32 minutes ago, jaxcam02 said:

I severely recommend finding yourself a local guy that does street tunes. To many variables to waste money on mail order tunes or handheld tuners. A good custom street tune shouldn't cost much more than 400 bucks.

I agree with this 100%. After spending nearly $700 for an AutoCal and mail order tuning from Black Bear, I'm about to pay a local shop to tune my truck. 

$700 wow that is good money. Drop tunes are half that. Disable afm/DOD. Clean up the shifts and I like to disable the torque management gives much more power and if you aren't heavy footed helps with mpg. You can remore and re calibrate the speed and tire sizes. It is also a code reader and can tune unlimited gm vehicles. Keep your file on a flash drive in the truck and if you have issues or need change every shop or the forum can change it. 

I know, right? There's a local shop that specializes in LS/LT engines and uses HP Tuners that I didn't know about when I made that purchase. I just waited over 3 weeks for a tune that does nothing, and now I'm waiting all over again to MAYBE get my issues resolved.....so I'll just go local and get instant results for less money. Lesson learned.

Everyone has their own preference on how or who tunes their vehicles. I will agree that a local shop that does tunes and some that tune your truck via datalogging like Diablew or Blackbear are a better option than an off the shelf handheld tuner. It all depends on what you're looking for? Do you want to get max power or just better drivability? In the past I've used local tuners that tune on a dyno for my cars so I can get max power. I've personally never used Diablew for a tune but I've heard good things about his tunes. On my current truck and previous truck I used Blackbear and I'm very happy with the results. My last truck I went to one of there tuning events and Justin tuned the truck in person. My dad bought that truck from me and it still runs great today with almost 200k miles on it. My current truck I went with the Autocal option. I picked up a used Autocal off the forum here and only have $545 total in it. I was quoted $1200 from a local tuner mainly because my truck is a 17 6.2 with the 8 speed transmission. That price includes getting my TCM unlocked and HP tuners requires 8 credits for the engine and trans. Believe it or not , after the Blackbear tune I'm getting better MPGs than I did before I added the lift and 35s. Honestly the truck is a completely different truck after the tune.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’ve used all the major hand held tune over the years in my trucks since they were available up to my 2014. I like the way they worked and how easy it was to simply return to stock. I know dyno tuning and custom will ring more out no question. If I was drag racing those trucks that’s the way I would’ve gone. As a daily driver hand held is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AutoCal and Black Bear tune was nice on my truck when I only had an intake. Was it worth $660? I don't think so. I say it's worth the time and effort to find a shop or reputable tuner and have it tuned in person. You get instant (and more than likely better) results that way. 

My current issue is that after installing long tubes and dual exhaust I waited over 3 weeks on a "re-tune" that made no difference. I'm still throwing codes for running rich and they didn't even disable the rear O2 codes like I requested. I've sent in another set of logs and I'm starting the waiting process all over again. I knew I would need another tune after the headers, and that was how I justified the price (the free follow up tunes). Now I feel that it was money wasted and I'm paying $300 for a local and reputable shop to tune it with HP Tuners.

Buy HP Tuners if you wish to learn on the most advanced LS truck computer to date ( that we can calibrate), it won't be easy lol.

It would be tough getting into the game if you hadn't done anything with the prior computers dating back to 1999 where most of the general things carry over.

Word of warning too, the speed limiter is in place for a reason. One for tire rating as they don't want you to exceed that speed rating and two, the driveshaft is not rated above 100mph. Lots of neat video's out there of people exploding stock driveshafts out there.

Really appreciate the info! I watched the goat rope videos, way over my head. 

Ive looked at the diablew website and their prices don’t look to shabby. Anybody have first hand experience with biablew? Does it come with tunes on it already with the option of data logging? Or do you just do data logging? What are somethings it helped with? I’m not looking to make my truck a drag truck. Or even have the desire to get it up to triple digits going down the highway. I changed out wheels and tires, other than that the only other thing I’d do is a borla atak.