Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Limelight

Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

Recommended Posts

Picked up my 2019 Silverado today , already had the front differential  replaced and that did not solve the jingle .Field engineer came to the dealership and drove my truck , heard the noise and confirmed it is the drivers side stub shaft coming in contact with the center pin inside the differential, said GM is currently working on a solution for this problem, as of right now there is no fix for it. Said it was safe to drive it this way!  They will contact me when there is a repair is available. Could possibly be 2 or 3 months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, z71 man said:

Picked up my 2019 Silverado today , already had the front differential  replaced and that did not solve the jingle .Field engineer came to the dealership and drove my truck , heard the noise and confirmed it is the drivers side stub shaft coming in contact with the center pin inside the differential, said GM is currently working on a solution for this problem, as of right now there is no fix for it. Said it was safe to drive it this way!  They will contact me when there is a repair is available. Could possibly be 2 or 3 months

I get that it's a first model year but these trucks should not be let out of the factory like this. It really is inexcusable. Hard to enjoy your new truck when you have a major defect right out of the hole. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bite the bullet and dump it! Chevy screwed me and the rest of you. Today I was buying some beers and about to leave and the Raptor started raising hell beeping and such. There was a car a good 30 feet coming towards me. The system actually works! If it were the Chevy, they would have to be directly behind you before it told you. It reminds me of the old Nissan’s they called Datsun. They got the message years ago because very few bought the crap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, z71 man said:

Picked up my 2019 Silverado today , already had the front differential  replaced and that did not solve the jingle .Field engineer came to the dealership and drove my truck , heard the noise and confirmed it is the drivers side stub shaft coming in contact with the center pin inside the differential, said GM is currently working on a solution for this problem, as of right now there is no fix for it. Said it was safe to drive it this way!  They will contact me when there is a repair is available. Could possibly be 2 or 3 months

Just curious- did they elaborate as to why it goes away in 4wd?  I guess the torque presses the shaft out a bit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magnum74 said:

I get that it's a first model year but these trucks should not be let out of the factory like this. It really is inexcusable. Hard to enjoy your new truck when you have a major defect right out of the hole. 

Unfortunately it happens all the time with all manufacturers. Half of all 3rd gen Tacomas have a howling rear diff that Toyota hasn't done much to address. At this point they basically deny it's an issue. Their front diffs have had vibration issues for years and they haven't done anything to address the issue. Ford has had a garbage 4WD system ever since they went to their IWE front hubs. I know a guy with a 2016 F-150 that's had his 4WD grind up IWE's several times. "Chevy sad" is going to to find out pretty quickly how much Raptors like to eat IWE's.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOKbCeNztNk

 

Edited by HondaHawkGT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I noticed as the weather is getting warmer the sound had gotten louder too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Limelight said:

Just curious- did they elaborate as to why it goes away in 4wd?  I guess the torque presses the shaft out a bit...

No they didn’t. but im one step away from my lemon law claim after Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iWE’s, most fail at 70-100k miles. I take that any-day over what I just went thru. I feel for ya’all, I loved that truck. I made a mistake, self inflicted pain, of buying a early version and a GM project. They are great looking and that 6.2 with the 10 speed using the 3.42 gears was awesome. But the 16k in options was a joke cause none of the shit worked. I hope you guys get the stuff fixed. Chevy lost a customer who buys every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chevy sad said:

iWE’s, most fail at 70-100k miles. I take that any-day over what I just went thru. I feel for ya’all, I loved that truck. I made a mistake, self inflicted pain, of buying a early version and a GM project. They are great looking and that 6.2 with the 10 speed using the 3.42 gears was awesome. But the 16k in options was a joke cause none of the shit worked. I hope you guys get the stuff fixed. Chevy lost a customer who buys every year. 

Haha every 70-100k? Maybe back before Ford went all-in on turbocharged engines and cheapened up the vacuum system that IWE's require to function. The IWE's in the 2015+ F-150's have had major problems that continues on today. I know guys that have had the IWE's in their brand new F-150 fail half a dozen times in less than 2 years. Ford still hasn't done anything about it. Didn't really expect them to, though. I mean, they STILL have cam phaser and timing chain problems after 15+ years of designing DOHC engines....

 

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-reports.64826/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look up the facts, not from forums. Just like here. We all bitch about our trucks. I bet most of the new trucks are better than the early builds or at least I hope so. 

I am sorry guys, just hate that Chevy is not stepping up. I would have been happy with the Silverado, if they actually fixed things. Old farts like me expect stuff to work like it used to be before we hurt everyone’s feelings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please can we not turn this thread into a shitshow?

Keep on topic and let's get to the bottom of this noise and the correct fix.  Looks like we are getting close here.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, your right! Back on topic. I once had F150 that had nearly all the symptoms. It made a rattling noise and vibrated a small bit about 42 mph. In 4x4 mode all was all well quite and smooth. First they rebuilt the transfer case because they said the driveline was  spinning to fast,  then the revered hubs, finally the found the ring and piñon were shot in the front. In your case, I wondering if the front driveline is spinning in 2 wheel drive. It should be. If not, maybe it’s just sitting there rattling. There are solenoids that activate your synchronizing clutches in the transfer case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chevy sad said:

Thanks, your right! Back on topic. I once had F150 that had nearly all the symptoms. It made a rattling noise and vibrated a small bit about 42 mph. In 4x4 mode all was all well quite and smooth. First they rebuilt the transfer case because they said the driveline was  spinning to fast,  then the revered hubs, finally the found the ring and piñon were shot in the front. In your case, I wondering if the front driveline is spinning in 2 wheel drive. It should be. If not, maybe it’s just sitting there rattling. There are solenoids that activate your synchronizing clutches in the transfer case. 

I dunno but if you watched the short video link I posted earlier you can see the play in the drivers side half shaft in and out. I’m 99% certain that’s the noise. For whatever reason in 4wd it must take up that play and make the connection right. 

The passenger side shaft is tight in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the dealer replaced my front differential and the noise is still as loud or louder.  Heading back to the service department again on Monday morning.  Hoping with this new information from this forum they will at least check into it.  Thanks for all that are posting and helping find where the defect is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, lworley said:

Well the dealer replaced my front differential and the noise is still as loud or louder.  Heading back to the service department again on Monday morning.  Hoping with this new information from this forum they will at least check into it.  Thanks for all that are posting and helping find where the defect is.  

Thanks mine is going in today for the diff replacement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.