Towing Pics

On 7/3/2020 at 5:49 PM, ForkliftJeff said:

Love how this truck pulls my little trailer. Much better than my 08 Dakota. No problems up those steep canyon roads. 

34324C5D-AEF6-47AA-A8D4-D380B1F7845B.jpeg

A12518C2-B6D6-4A4E-903E-56DB302D8021.jpeg

Very nice set up, my neighbor to the north.

Gray clouds look very familiar?

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Very nice set up, my neighbor to the north.

Gray clouds look very familiar?

Thanks. It was raining so hard that day. Helped in washing the winter grime off the trailer though. 

Brought our 24’ Travel Trailer home from my dad’s farm.  New truck tows like a champ.  Has the max trailering option.

Levelling kit on truck causes a bit of squat though even with a WD hitch.

May need air bags to compensate for level kit.

1E716721-ABB3-4897-A17D-D103B3ED7991.jpeg

1 hour ago, madconcept said:

Brought our 24’ Travel Trailer home from my dad’s farm.  New truck tows like a champ.  Has the max trailering option.

Levelling kit on truck causes a bit of squat though even with a WD hitch.

May need air bags to compensate for level kit.

1E716721-ABB3-4897-A17D-D103B3ED7991.jpeg

Do you have any adjustment left in your WDH? Maybe one less chain link on your bars would get you level? 

6 hours ago, ForkliftJeff said:

Do you have any adjustment left in your WDH? Maybe one less chain link on your bars would get you level? 

No my torsion bar height seems maxed out.  Tried going up another chain link but it’s too tight to lift it into place.

And yes the jack is up a couple inches above the wood blocks in the pic, looks like it may be touching lol!

The rear sag isn’t too bad.  From fender to tire is 5 1/2” up front and 4” at the back.  Unloaded I’m about 6” front and back, with levelling kit.

At the end of the day if you want to tow with a levelling kit, plan to install air bags I suppose.

Trucks come out of the factory with a natural rake to compensate for loading.

586E7ACC-6AA7-4BB5-8818-D6A4B9DFDFDE.jpeg

Edited by madconcept

47 minutes ago, madconcept said:

No my chains are maxed out.  Tried going up another link but it’s too tight.

And yes the jack is up a couple inches above the wood blocks in the pic.

The rear sag isn’t too bad.  From fender to tire is 5 1/2” up front and 4” at the back.  Unloaded I’m 6” front and back, with levelling kit.

At the end of the day if you want to tow with a levelling kit, plan to install air bags.

Trucks come factory with a natural rake to compensate for loading.

Right on. I’ve had a few friends who were “told” how to setup their WDH but didn’t know there was some adjustment to dial it in perfect. 

12 hours ago, ForkliftJeff said:

Thanks. It was raining so hard that day. Helped in washing the winter grime off the trailer though. 

Yea, know what you mean on both, it had rained the last 6 weekends in the Seattle area before this one.

3 hours ago, madconcept said:

No my chains are maxed out.  Tried going up another link but it’s too tight.

And yes the jack is up a couple inches above the wood blocks in the pic.

The rear sag isn’t too bad.  From fender to tire is 5 1/2” up front and 4” at the back.  Unloaded I’m 6” front and back, with levelling kit.

At the end of the day if you want to tow with a levelling kit, plan to install air bags.

Trucks come factory with a natural rake to compensate for loading.

Try to tilt the WDH head down you should be able to loosen the bolts, add a shim or washer between the head and shank to gain some additional leverage on the WDH spring bars you should be able to get more weight transfer to the front wheels.  

Edited by Greyhound6.2

1 hour ago, Greyhound6.2 said:

Try to tilt the WDH head down you should be able to loosen the bolts, add a shim or washer between the head and shank to gain some additional leverage on the WDH spring bars you should be able to get more weight transfer to the front wheels.  

Thanks.  I just adjusted the tilt by adding another washer.  Don’t think there’s enough room left on the shank to add anymore so I think that’s all I can do.
Hopefully my truck doesn’t drive all squirrelly!

Big/only reason I was able to get this truck because I promised my wife it would handle our TT better than my old truck lol!

I’m hoping I don’t have to go out and get airbags now!

Love how the truck looks unloaded with the level kit though!

1AF1B322-4645-4F2A-9CCD-174D885A8ED4.jpeg

What's interesting about your picture is that your shank seems to be angled up.  Is there a lot of play in your shank when in the receiver?  I had that problem on my 2008 Tundra.  The whole WDH would tilt up because of the loose fit in the receiver.  Then I had to add a lot of washers (head angle) to get the WDH set up properly.  I added a thin shim to the shank to make it tighter in the receiver.  Then I honked down so hard on the WD bars that I bent the receiver on the Tundra.  Oops.  

55 minutes ago, corn18 said:

What's interesting about your picture is that your shank seems to be angled up.  Is there a lot of play in your shank when in the receiver?  I had that problem on my 2008 Tundra.  The whole WDH would tilt up because of the loose fit in the receiver.  Then I had to add a lot of washers (head angle) to get the WDH set up properly.  I added a thin shim to the shank to make it tighter in the receiver.  Then I honked down so hard on the WD bars that I bent the receiver on the Tundra.  Oops.  

Mine does that what kind of shim did you use? 

AD23B88B-D0E3-48EE-83E9-B88A66DC8A37.thumb.jpeg.dd97160a2cde13322743a5f5a4a889b8.jpeg

Not the greatest pic but borrowed my brothers car hauler to move furniture to my new house. Don’t do much towing (none) but she did it like a champ even when loaded right up.

Pretty happy with the sag even with the off road suspension. Didn’t even have the equalizer bars installed since I was pulling through the inner city. 

Edited by killramos

Picked up a new trailer and heading out tomorrow. I have adjusted the saddles for the WD hitch up two holes. Bars have lots of tension but assume it’s the leveling kit on the truck preventing me from getting it level with the trailer. Not the end of the world....

0C47CD55-2E4A-4F93-A65A-363D1415E56A.jpeg

Edited by nick242