Towing Pics

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

You will need to know the balance of the UTV's, they are probably rear-weight biased a bit 60% rear, 40% front most likely, or closer to 55/45. You will then have to determine how to load, probably drive the first one in and leave as close to the axles as you can while still having room for UTV2, reverse the second bike in so that most of it is hanging out to the rear of the axles. You should be about right. The best way to figure it out is tow your setup to a scale, unload the bikes and get some axle weights empty, then load the bikes and re-check, you can move them around a few different ways to see how your load is best distributed. I have a snowmobile trailer with a centre single axle, I have to reverse my UTV on it so I have tongue weight, if I drive it on, it has so little tongue weight I can lift it with one finger. 

Wanted to let you know that you are absolutely correct about the loading of the machines. In the attached photo, the dealership loaded them incorrectly and I couldn't drive over 65mph without major sway. The cool thing is that the truck was compensating for the sway as it was detected and you could feel it apply the brakes & cut back engine power to bring it back under control. I am going to load the trailer either by backing the toys both on or by driving the first one on and backing the second one on to get the best tongue weight. I knew that the trailer probably wasn't going to tow as well as I wanted when the back of the truck only dropped about 3/4" when it was loaded. The trailer itself didn't drop the rear but 1/4" and it weighs 2,350lbs. with an unknown tongue weight. I am thinking of getting the Weigh Safe hitch ball mount to help me get the proper weights distributed. I am eventually still wanting to get the aluminum enclosed trailer, but the deal that I cut on the UTVs made me take the equipment trailer and make a move sooner than I was anticipating. All that said, I averaged 15.5mpg towing empty at speeds of 70-75mph heading down to pick up the cargo and the truck was practically like it didn't even care that the empty trailer was attached. On the way back, I used tow/haul and you could tell that it had a little bit of weight attached to snatch around. Driving back North and actually gaining elevation the whole return trip with the additional estimated weight of approx. 3,200lbs considering the toys were filled with fuel and I had an two additional sets of tires & wheels in the bed of the truck, We averaged 13.1mpg at 65mph. The truck only downshifted a few times on pretty decent hills which impressed me compared to the 8 speed in the other truck. I figure that the total load with passengers and everything else we took was around 6,300lbs.  As easy as the truck handled the load, I believe the enclosed trailer will not be a major issue to tow being that the weight of it and the open equipment trailer are almost identical. The major issue will obviously be the brick effect of the front of the enclosed trailer cutting through the wind. trkatvs1.thumb.jpg.8887c9978597835d7fcfc46a3873fbd4.jpg

• Like 1

^^Nice set up for sure, if you are still a little tongue heavy like that you could try backing the second up right to the ramps, sometimes only a few inches can result in a hundred lbs off the hitch. If not back it on in the same spot you have it and you will be bang on. Your truck looks like it is sitting about perfect so an equalizer hitch probably isn't necessary but will give you peace of mind. My company low beds excavators and stuff around, we are always playing with different machines and axle combinations to make sure we don't get pinched at the scales. 

IMG_0378.JPG

Anyone else get the trailer TPMS system setup yet? Got it working in my travel trailer today. Shows tire temp and pressure. Sorry forgot to take a pic of the trailer hooked up to truck, but it will say for a 3500 lb Trailer the trail boss really seems to squat more than my 16 z71. Weight distribution hitch leveled it back out a bit.8f4b2919a30a5b07e50e41fcafcb1def.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OhioLion said:

Is that the 2800BH? How do you like it? Looked at one a few times but have been hesitant to pull the trigger with my 17 Sierra 5.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the 289QB.  So far so good.  I can’t comment on the 5.3 towing but the Sunset Trail lineup is pretty light considering the size.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

The Bay Area, CA to Seattle, WA.

830 miles one way. Came back, Blanco has 5500 miles now.

Was getting anywhere from 11-15 mpg on average doing 65-72 mph on a "closed course" empty or full. The trailer is a brick.

IMG_1800.jpg

I believe you're not supposed to go over 55 mph in California while towing (more than 2 axel total). ?

30 minutes ago, Unclebud87 said:

Shocks wont make a difference in sag. Its the spring rate on the leaf springs that are soft. I added airbags to my trail boss for that reason.

Yeah that makes sense. Because my F150 had some stock shocks and didn't squat as much. Also just checked the pictures and the difference was about 4inch  picture shows 34 7/8 i think the truck empty was 38 3/4 didn't take a picture of that because I getting eating by mosquitoes

IMG_20190611_210336.jpg

On 2019-06-11 at 10:29 PM, Moend said:

3 inch squat. Might need to add airbags. These rancho shocks are way too soft

The second way you loaded your Bobcat is correct, the first way (bobcat reversed on) you have too much tongue weight which is giving you the heavy squat. Skid steers are ass heavy, this is to counter the weight of your bucket full of dirt or heavy attachments. If you back them on, the machine should sit directly over the axles, with the engine access door maybe sitting 1-2 feet in front of the forward axle. Flip up your ramps onto the beavertail then set your mower down on top of the ramps.