Towing Pics

aside from my boat i also tow a 6x12 v nose enclosed trailer, with the extra head room as well. my truck is 5.3. Felt fine and one trip i went on a winding steep hill with no issue at all. back when i has my 2015 i towed a tracked skid steer and trailer just fine. in some conversations i had with some dealers over the years they told me they have seen a lot of notorious 2500 customers stepping down to a 1500 cause the increase towing abilities and the better day to day driving.

Anyone towing an aluminum enclosed trailer? I'm looking at an EZ Hauler 8.5x20 v nose that has a curb weight of roughly 2,500lbs and I m told that the tongue weight is 12% or 300lbs unloaded. I will be hauling two Can Am UTV's weighing around 3,000lbs combined inside. I'm not sure how the tongue weight will change with the cargo loaded. Both vehicles will be nose to tail since they are 19' long and the extra 2' of v in the front end will be nice to keep them from touching and allow for add on bumpers etc. The truck that I have ordered is the 19' High Country 6.2 Max Tow crew cab 4wd. The truck does have a sunroof which will lower the payload. I will also have 4 adults inside as well as luggage and other necessities adding 800lbs. I am assuming that the truck shouldn't have any issues at all with the 3.42 ratio and the 10 speed in addition to the 6.2 v8. I've only towed these "windsock" trailers  with diesel trucks in the past which of course didn't make any difference whatsoever in the truck's feeling of being worked. I just don't want to be too unimpressed if at all after owning the HD.2018_EZ_Hauler_8x20_7K_Aluminum_Car__Racing_Trailer_DBq1Sa.jpg.
I'm not going to be towing but one or maybe two weeks a month, although the trips will be mostly interstate at fair speeds and for 4-5 hours each way. I commute 150 miles per day with my job and driving an HD truck with the maintenance costs and rougher ride qualities make me lean back to the 1500 trucks. Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated!

I’ll be interested to see how this 6.2l pulls my 7x27 enclosed snowmobile trailer. My Ram I had would struggle to maintain speed on steeper grades at highway speeds (EcoDiesel) and from my experience so far the 6.2l did have any issues with my boat behind it (heavier than my trailer)

A good weight distributing hitch is worth its weight in gold

Here’s a pic of my trailer and old ram

6af42609f5a03e6ce5b5dde3150a1fda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Anyone towing an aluminum enclosed trailer? I'm looking at an EZ Hauler 8.5x20 v nose that has a curb weight of roughly 2,500lbs and I m told that the tongue weight is 12% or 300lbs unloaded. I will be hauling two Can Am UTV's weighing around 3,000lbs combined inside. I'm not sure how the tongue weight will change with the cargo loaded. Both vehicles will be nose to tail since they are 19' long and the extra 2' of v in the front end will be nice to keep them from touching and allow for add on bumpers etc. The truck that I have ordered is the 19' High Country 6.2 Max Tow crew cab 4wd. The truck does have a sunroof which will lower the payload. I will also have 4 adults inside as well as luggage and other necessities adding 800lbs. I am assuming that the truck shouldn't have any issues at all with the 3.42 ratio and the 10 speed in addition to the 6.2 v8. I've only towed these "windsock" trailers  with diesel trucks in the past which of course didn't make any difference whatsoever in the truck's feeling of being worked. I just don't want to be too unimpressed if at all after owning the HD.2018_EZ_Hauler_8x20_7K_Aluminum_Car__Racing_Trailer_DBq1Sa.jpg.
I'm not going to be towing but one or maybe two weeks a month, although the trips will be mostly interstate at fair speeds and for 4-5 hours each way. I commute 150 miles per day with my job and driving an HD truck with the maintenance costs and rougher ride qualities make me lean back to the 1500 trucks. Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated!

Are the axles able to be slid on the trailer to fine tune to load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 5/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, RottDawgler said:

09624422-BABC-400B-8691-25239CA78454.jpeg

Can these trucks be flat towed without removing or disengaging the driveshaft? And if you don't mind sharing, what kind of towbar setup are you using? Thanks.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:16 PM, stujameson said:

Can these trucks be flat towed without removing or disengaging the driveshaft? And if you don't mind sharing, what kind of towbar setup are you using? Thanks.

Hey stujameson,

Yes they can. There's no need to remove the driveshaft. My '19 Silverado is a Z71 which gives me the two speed transfer case you need to flat tow. Having the two speed transfer case with HI & LOW range you will just need to do the following steps to put the transfer case into neutral so all 4 wheels can free wheels. First: Activate the parking brake, then apply the brake and shift the transmission in neutral, then you will need to push the 2H button five times within 10 seconds. You will then notice in the center digital display the 2H change to N. This will then let the truck be flat towed on all 4 wheels down the road. There's a few additional steps that have to be done but nothing out of the ordinary from flat towing my '14 Silverado.

To answer your other question I use the "AVAIL Blue Ox Motorhome Mounted Tow Bar" rated at towing 10,000 lbs. There are two (2 inch or 2 1/2 inch) depending on the size of your receiver.

I also use the Blue Ox Patriot II Breaking System that sits on the floor of the truck in front of the driver's seat and clips to the brake pedal. It's a very slick set-up, the 12V brake controller is wireless back to the Patriot II and has worked flawlessly so far. 

Any other questions feel free.. ?

4BE01A3E-C7B7-4100-A243-0CB115E24A05.jpeg

FA6F21FE-E243-4D57-AD4D-1DFC97F3B7E1.jpeg

• Like 3

I've pulled this trailer about 700 miles so far. Mostly on flat or slightly hilly roads in Texas. The trailer is 32ft and weighs a little over 7000 pounds with a tounge weight of 860. I am using the Equalizer 4 point hitch. This truck has the 6.2l, 10 speed, 3.23 gears.

My big issue pulling this with a half ton is the payload and rear axle rating. I have to basically keep the bed empty to be under the 7,100 GVWR and 3,800 GAWR.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

e8f676d33b6bc4bb49b1ec42b073f058.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎15 at 12:02 PM, voltedge said:

Anyone towing an aluminum enclosed trailer? I'm looking at an EZ Hauler 8.5x20 v nose that has a curb weight of roughly 2,500lbs and I m told that the tongue weight is 12% or 300lbs unloaded. I will be hauling two Can Am UTV's weighing around 3,000lbs combined inside. I'm not sure how the tongue weight will change with the cargo loaded. Both vehicles will be nose to tail since they are 19' long and the extra 2' of v in the front end will be nice to keep them from touching and allow for add on bumpers etc. The truck that I have ordered is the 19' High Country 6.2 Max Tow crew cab 4wd. The truck does have a sunroof which will lower the payload. I will also have 4 adults inside as well as luggage and other necessities adding 800lbs. I am assuming that the truck shouldn't have any issues at all with the 3.42 ratio and the 10 speed in addition to the 6.2 v8. I've only towed these "windsock" trailers  with diesel trucks in the past which of course didn't make any difference whatsoever in the truck's feeling of being worked. I just don't want to be too unimpressed if at all after owning the HD.2018_EZ_Hauler_8x20_7K_Aluminum_Car__Rac.

You will need to know the balance of the UTV's, they are probably rear-weight biased a bit 60% rear, 40% front most likely, or closer to 55/45. You will then have to determine how to load, probably drive the first one in and leave as close to the axles as you can while still having room for UTV2, reverse the second bike in so that most of it is hanging out to the rear of the axles. You should be about right. The best way to figure it out is tow your setup to a scale, unload the bikes and get some axle weights empty, then load the bikes and re-check, you can move them around a few different ways to see how your load is best distributed. I have a snowmobile trailer with a centre single axle, I have to reverse my UTV on it so I have tongue weight, if I drive it on, it has so little tongue weight I can lift it with one finger.