Question after a thought

There are many MPG threads on here and other forums. Some say "If you bought a truck it ain't for MPG's" Of course there are more comments like this but my question is about an often used statement. 

"Your truck's powertrain is still breaking in and It should continue to improve as time goes on." <- or something similar

I'm no rocket surgeon so forgive me for asking. Why is this often used statement used...  and is there anything scientific to back it up?

Even though vehicle mileage per vehicle are said to be off, the several vehicles I’ve owned have them. My MPG doesn’t change new to older. I have two older vehicles the mileage hasn’t changed. One even has a DI motor with 100K miles no change, and no catch can! Most recent Camry no change going on 35K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Jimmyc! said:

There are many MPG threads on here and other forums. Some say "If you bought a truck it ain't for MPG's" Of course there are more comments like this but my question is about an often used statement. 

"Your truck's powertrain is still breaking in and It should continue to improve as time goes on." <- or something similar

I'm no rocket surgeon so forgive me for asking. Why is this often used statement used...  and is there anything scientific to back it up?

I think it was common in the 70’s and 80’s. Someone born before 1984 can correct me if they want. MPG’s became a thing in the late 70’s right? Manufacturing is so much better nowadays. 

One thing I noticed after 10k miles was the V4 mode kicking on more often. Could be a coincidence, or could be part of the computers programming?

I think it was common in the 70’s and 80’s. Someone born before 1984 can correct me if they want. MPG’s became a thing in the late 70’s right? Manufacturing is so much better nowadays. 

One thing I noticed after 10k miles was the V4 mode kicking on more often. Could be a coincidence, or could be part of the computers programming?

It became a thing because of the oil embargo and spike in gas prices. I remember getting a gallon of gas for a quarter, the changed over night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe gas mileage improves with engine break-in due to driver behaviour!  I don't know if there is a mechanical reason.    Once the novelty of a new vehicle wears off we slow down jumping at every opportunity to go for a drive!