Oil Change - Dealership vs DIY

I do everything not covered under warranty, I will diagnose and change basic parts, water pump, alternator, u joints, used to change engines in high school/college when we were running the Carb'd 350's with limited wiring, basically anything unless actual knowledge is required. Like building an engine or trans. I am not the guy for that haha, although I would like to get there one day soon. I have a nice K1500 that is begging for a frame off and a 5.3L/Avalanche front suspension swap. YouTube is an awesome resource for DIY auto repairs, you just have to have the knowledge to diagnose the problem first. 

I’m amused how people bash dealers and service Tecs. They are no less reliable than any other professional. News flash there’re out to make money. There’s lots of things I can do myself. I rather buy a steak than butcher a cow. As far as finding a good one, there’s many tools available to do that. I would love to know how many do it yourselfers go to Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do most everything myself.... because no matter how many places I try and pay to do things I get it back screwed up and have to do it in the end anyway.  Is what it is.  I don't do warranty either... GM rebuilt the rear end in my 2017 HD after the first guy I paid screwed up setting up the pinion bearings.  Now after GM set the rear end up its started howling... I will just buy a new gear set and set the damn contact pattern myself and be done with this nonsense already.

Edited by SierraHD17

As Frank said " I did it my way"

I don't go to Starbucks, never have.

The bashing dealers is from bad experiences. Simple. It happens.

Everybody is different and has an opinion and does what suits them.

I think diyers like me just prefer to roll  that way for a lot of reasons.

I don't enjoy doing my own work as much as I used to. For over 30 years I did my maintenance and repairs outside in the driveway or on the street. I now have a garage so it more tolerable.

My biggest reason I do things myself is I don't want to deal with problems caused by having a so called expert work on our vehicles.

I recently had this happen when new tires were put on the wife's car. Tires and alignments are a must have that done item for me.

IMO every time you let a professional work on your vehicle it opens the door to having a problem.

I will continue to do my own maintenance and repairs as long as I'm able to. 

:)

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 2

Karnut is right.  There are poor workers in every profession and I believe they are the minority,  I once lived by the mantra, "If you want to do it right, do it yourself".  I have gradually discovered (mostly through necessity) that many people are just as skilled as me and often more!  As diver2 suggests there is a time when you may not have a choice but to rely on others!.  Every once in a while I receive a service, mechanical or otherwise, that I would previously do myself.  I recently had the water tank in my house replaced by a company who I learned about by seeing advertising on the side of their van.  I've installed dozens of tanks by myself and was very apprehensive about giving this task to a "kid".  Not only did he do a great job, (quick, tidy) I wouldn't have known the recent changes in requirements.  There are times when I am not happy or impressed with a service performed by an individual.  I simply give the company the opportunity to keep my business by correcting or compensating for their employee's ignorance or poor work ethic.  A good business owner recognizes the value of a satisfied customer and will strive to make amends for any wrongdoings .  

I could tell a story of 5 years of hell with a botched surgery on my wife. If it wasn’t for the internet and self investigation, life would be hell. No profession circles the wagon like doctors. I’ll trust a mechanic before a doctor. At least I can open the hood and check their work.

More than "Tech" ability, I think Dealer Oil changes and other services simply come down to Can you Afford it and if so do you want to Pay their fees?

In some cases it is simply a matter of convenience.

Now days, time is money.

Another thing people always forget are most dealerships are shit to work for... and pay like crap.  You don't get top grade mechanics that are great at their jobs at the dealer.  Why?  They either start their own shop or work for someone else that pays better.  People that have zero mechanical ability which a lot of owners fall into would never know the difference but those of us that do get frustrated with shoddy work..

Dealers don't have trained techs doing oil changes, they have lackies who flunked high school getting paid minimum wage and often don't even change the filter.  One of my captains used to work in a Subie dealer when he was in HS doing all changes, and told me that in his 2 years there, he never changed a single filter; techs are paid on manufacturer-quoted time (which is low), and anything over that comes out of their pocket, so the game is rigged to cut corners.  Scribe your filter and check.  On my '17, the dealer added 8 quarts of oil without ever draining the pan (bought new, which included a few services, only reason I took it back for that).  Simple tasks like an oil change are perhaps the WORST job to farm out; here's an Audi horror story:

https://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-lube-shop-cut-hole-in-audi-s4s-aero-pan-1748394648

I personally find "DIY" insulting; for me there is only "DI" no matter what the task.  The only jobs I'll farm out are those covered by warranty, simply so I have a case when the job gets botched.

.. real world example.. just took truck in to dealer for its scheduled oil change.. not really much choice here due to warranty constraints..I take pride in my vehicles.. both outside and inside.. got home and checked the oil level (something I always do).. and find oil was spilled all across the engine :fume: and it was overfilled as well. I guess I will be checking this before I leave the dealership from now on :sigh:

Dealers don't have trained techs doing oil changes, they have lackies who flunked high school getting paid minimum wage and often don't even change the filter.  One of my captains used to work in a Subie dealer when he was in HS doing all changes, and told me that in his 2 years there, he never changed a single filter; techs are paid on manufacturer-quoted time (which is low), and anything over that comes out of their pocket, so the game is rigged to cut corners.  Scribe your filter and check.  On my '17, the dealer added 8 quarts of oil without ever draining the pan (bought new, which included a few services, only reason I took it back for that).  Simple tasks like an oil change are perhaps the WORST job to farm out; here's an Audi horror story:

https://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-lube-shop-cut-hole-in-audi-s4s-aero-pan-1748394648

I personally find "DIY" insulting; for me there is only "DI" no matter what the task.  The only jobs I'll farm out are those covered by warranty, simply so I have a case when the job gets botched.

That doesn’t make sense. Everything is inventoried, not using filters would be noticed. That would suggest a conspiracy. Ridiculous. The quality of person your suggesting would be unable to be silent. Amusing.

• Like 1

I do it my self.   It is something I enjoy doing.

I change oil for about 6 others here in my small town.  They like the fact that I pick up their vehicle change the oil and bring it back.   It gives me some extra spending money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dukedkt442 said:

Dealers don't have trained techs doing oil changes, they have lackies who flunked high school getting paid minimum wage and often don't even change the filter.  

Sounds like you've had a bad experience with your dealer!  I don't ask to see their high school diplomas but my local dealerships employ pretty impressive technicians.  The shop where I bought my truck has a picture window onto the service bay.  You can watch them all work if you have such trust issues.  When I worked in the trades, and now in retirement,  I take as much pride in the unseen work as I did in what the customer sees.  I find that most workers are like this and are honest and decent human beings.  If you find yourself scribing your oil filter to confirm it was changed  then you may want to find ways to deal with your cerebral filters.  There is always the potential to be scammed, cheated, ripped off, or violated in some manner when purchasing any type of service.  Such incidents provide terrific fodder for internet forums but don't let them make you believe such behaviour is widespread.  99.99% of us have uneventful oil changes providing us with nothing to post on the internet!

6 hours ago, dukedkt442 said:

Dealers don't have trained techs doing oil changes, they have lackies who flunked high school getting paid minimum wage and often don't even change the filter.  

Okay this one I have to agree with. Maybe not the filter part but.....

We have a local dealer who some time ago bought up every dealership in the area and started stealing from the public in every way you can imagine. 10 shops or so. Mainly selling work that wasn't required and pricing that boarder criminal. Hangs his name on everyone like he's flaunting it all. Kind' a is. Only horse in town. 

A new guy comes to town and opens a dealership. GMC/Buick/Caddy. Prices fairly. Does nice work. Even sends his oil changers to training. About a year and the first guy is reorganizing and now every one of them is under new management with a new name. He can't get the stink off his personal name. Yea, Mega dealers...