Hello T1XX owners,

Did anyone put a dipstick in there 8L90e transmission yet? I would like to get a dipstick but am not excited about spending $180 and putting three holes in my new truck.

B&M makes one that works but $180 seems like a lot(also three holes). Has anyone taken one from a Camaro and put it in? They have the same trans but different motor. so it might fit the trans but the bolt location might be different. 

My question again is, has anyone did it yet? What did you buy? How do you like it?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be worried that the tube routing for the Camaro may not work with our engine making mounting the tube impossible. 

The other thought that crosses my mind is why? What's the point to having one? There are stated intervals to change tranny fluid, if you feel you are harder on your truck just step up the service intervals. Unless you have a leak you shouldn't have to check the level of it, and if you did have a leak you'd see it in your driveway. Just kind of seems like an answer looking for the question

My thought process, it didnt come with one so if my tranny blows I bring it to the dealer and they fix under warranty. To the contrary if the same thing happened and I had added a dipstick to it I could easily see them telling me the addition of the dipstick either allowed fluid to leak out or contamination in and my warranty is now void. 

Edited by Jdkno
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok so this weekend i installed a dipstick from a 2016 Camaro. Bolted right in, now the problem is that the fluid is so thin that it is hard to read on the stick. 

I like to check all my fluids when going on a long drive. i don't have a driveway to park it in. it lives on the street where my 1989 F150 leaks. So i wouldn't be able to see if it was leaking or note.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

Ok so this weekend i installed a dipstick from a 2016 Camaro. Bolted right in, now the problem is that the fluid is so thin that it is hard to read on the stick. 

I like to check all my fluids when going on a long drive. i don't have a driveway to park it in. it lives on the street where my 1989 F150 leaks. So i wouldn't be able to see if it was leaking or note.

Got a part number or any photos of the install? Did you end up getting an aftermarket one or the oem camaro one?

52 minutes ago, Zach-91 said:

Got a part number or any photos of the install? Did you end up getting an aftermarket one or the oem camaro one?

I do not have a part number, but i know its a 2016 Camaro 8L90E dipstick. READ COMMENT BELOW

LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8L90-8-Speed-Auto-Transmission-Dipstick-and-Tube-Assembly-fits-camaro/293193840918?hash=item4443b6f916:g:TK4AAOSwux5YUbzR 

@Jdkno I talked to my service department today (my buddy works there) and he said that if something happened GM could possible turn down any work for that vehicle if the tech notes it in the inspection. I might/probably just pull it out and throw it on the shelf until i am out of warranty. 

• Thanks 1

Found some answers in this video. I believe the same setup is on the trucks. Seems that I can use my vacuum pump in the dipstick hole by pulling the plastic plug and then refill with new fluid. 

Going to check the accessibility on my truck sometime soon and then I'll make a decision on if I do it myself.

Probably would only check the level the first time I do it as my vacuum pump has markings on it so I can measure exactly how much is coming out and then just put that much back. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

A bump and could you elaborate on how the install went?

• Like 1

@Texasdeere Ok so everything is installed from the bottom. you will need to remove the heat shield from the trans on the passenger side and remove a little bit of material to have the dipstick tube clear.

you will have to remove one of the bellhousing bolts.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:03 PM, Jdkno said:

I'd be worried that the tube routing for the Camaro may not work with our engine making mounting the tube impossible. 

The other thought that crosses my mind is why? What's the point to having one? There are stated intervals to change tranny fluid, if you feel you are harder on your truck just step up the service intervals. Unless you have a leak you shouldn't have to check the level of it, and if you did have a leak you'd see it in your driveway. Just kind of seems like an answer looking for the question

My thought process, it didnt come with one so if my tranny blows I bring it to the dealer and they fix under warranty. To the contrary if the same thing happened and I had added a dipstick to it I could easily see them telling me the addition of the dipstick either allowed fluid to leak out or contamination in and my warranty is now void. 

So your contribution is FUD?

Fear Uncertainty Doubt

Hundreds of millions of vehicles over nearly a hundred years and all the sudden, like a Revelation; a dipstick will cause a maintenance issue that will get a warranty claim denied? 

:crackup:

Good talk!

• Thanks 1

I think I found it.  I couldn't find anything OEM AC Delco yesterday for a 2016 Camaro or a 8L90

Looks like this guy blueracer1976 makes a lot of these things for other applications too.

AT $80 you would think stainless but likely not.  But they look well made and at around 100+ sold with %100 Positive Feedback is good.

8L90.jpg

Edited by Texasdeere

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My 2017 Canyon with it's 6 speed had barely noticeable shudder, I thought it was the fuel management system.

My new to me 2019 Express with an 8L90e almost makes you fall out of your seat the first to second shift; at moderate throdle, the whole van shakes like driving a washboard gravel road.

If this is a defect, GM should fix it.

If changing the type of fluid resolves the issue, fine.

If, even with Mobil 1's ATF, the problem occurs before the recommended interval, then the fluid replacement was only a temporary fix.

In my opinion, they can keep changing the fluid in my vehicle for ever if they want.

"They sure don't make them like they used to"