Worst day ever

worst-day-ever.thumb.jpg.5df1f7cbc5b05a4f04f8f935099ea45a.jpg

Parked next to a curb in a parking lot and when I was backing out, I managed to grab a hold of the curb with my GM snowflake wheel.

From top to bottom on the picture it's only about the width of my thumb, but damn it it bugs the heck out of me.

Any chance this can be fixed without replacing the wheel? It's a factory GM 20" snowflake wheel. I'm not sure if they have a clear coat on them or not. Any suggestions?

1000 then 2000 wet sand. Then metal polish. It will be a little shinier - but not from 10 feet. Good luck. I think you found your new winter rims.:D

that can be fixed by polishing it. If you don't DIY the dealer has guys that can for a fee ~100-150. The wife took her caddy to dealer for service and it was scratched when she got it back. They denied responsibility and wanted us to pay their guy to polish it. I got my own guy and will never visit that dealer again.

12 hours ago, DenaliX14 said:

set it on fire.....

It does have full coverage insurance...

11 hours ago, 4weight said:

I'd sell that truck for sure.  Put it on Craigslist or Autotrader.  Time for a new one.

I did try to talk the wife into buying a newer truck yesterday but I don't think she's having it. Then again she did let me test drive a 2018 so maybe we're on the right path. :D

12 hours ago, RMR said:

1000 then 2000 wet sand. Then metal polish. It will be a little shinier - but not from 10 feet. Good luck. I think you found your new winter rims.:D

I've seen videos on the YouTube using sand paper to remove the scratches and it looks like a possibility. My concern is not knowing if these wheels have clear coat on them.

I'm assuming they do and if so then while sanding will remove the scratch, it will also remove the clear coat making the wheels much worse than it is now.

11 hours ago, Paintor said:

A replacement wheel can be found from a salvage yard scratch free and cheaper than GM prices. 

That's a good idea and will have to call around on Monday.

I did text the guy who I bought the wheels from early last year, he gets them from new truck pull off when the dealers replace the stock wheels with aftermarket wheels. He doesn't have the 2018 styles like I have anymore but does have the 2019 styles... ;)

13 hours ago, m3n00b said:

Man, you've had an easy life if this is the "worst day ever."

What can I say life is good. ;)

• Like 1

Worst day ever because you scratched a truck rim? I guess you're exaggerating? 

That kinda stuff is irritating but,  it happens.. You'll probably do it again so I'd either learn to fix it DIY or learn to live with it... I like my 18's for this reason, it's almost impossible to curb the rims... I'm worried about the 19's on my Wifes equinox.