A Clear Trend Emerges - GM Will Import Its New Family Vehicles

Gorehamj

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 7:03 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

It's a common theme across the whole industry right now. Even brands like Toyota, that some many people think are "more American made" than the domestic brand vehicles, are investing in production plants in Mexico right now. Most Tacoma's sold today are imported from Mexico. Toyota has been threatening to move Camry production back to Japan because tariffs and other increased expenses of manufacturing in the US have made it cheaper for Toyota to build them in Japan. Honda is a unique exception but the auto industry changes quickly, so who knows how long they stay in the US.

The Japanese automakers are really more at the mercy of the yen/dollar exchange rate than many other factors. Also, at this point Honda is really almost an American company. They're thought of as a much larger company here than they are back home. In Japan, they really don't have that much market share, especially compared to the giant Toyota. Out of the vehicles with the highest US parts content, 6 out of the top 10 are Honda/Acura products. 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Every time you spend a dollar, you cast a vote for the future economy/world you would like to live in. 

Well put! I realize that it is increasingly difficult to buy domestically made products but I do my part wherever I can. Honestly I have been known to buy something that I wouldn't have otherwise bought because it's made in the US or Canada. I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there. More need to do it though. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Likarok said:

Not in the market for any of these  and don't expect I ever will be. Chevy/Gmc trucks til I die! haha

Or you get let down like so many others.