GM Removes Mexican-Built Blazer From Ballpark Display 3.4 Miles From Closing GM Factory

Gorehamj

blazer.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-31-2019

General Motors has decided that displaying Mexican-built crossovers just 3.4 miles from where it is closing a Michigan plant is not a great idea. The promotional display at Comerica Park was set to highlight GM's new vehicles for opening day. The UAW, among others, noted the Blazer is not built in the U.S. GM is closing plants in the U.S. and Canada, and shifting work to lower-cost of labor areas such as China and Mexico in order to keep costs down. 

GM has opted to remove the Blazer and replace it with one of the many crossovers the company does assemble in the U.S. In a statement, GM said in part, "American workers contribute significantly to the success of the Chevy Blazer. The Blazer will pump more than a half-billion dollars into the U.S. manufacturing economy each year, helping support thousands of good-paying U.S. Jobs." Comerica Park is about 3 miles from the GM Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant, which GM is leaving "unallocated."

Related Story: General Motors Tries Two Ways To Dodge Tariff On Chinese-Built Buick Envision Import

Glad to see GM taking heat for this and their OBVIOUS anti north american labor stance. Please don't try and tell us how some percentage is made in the usa when 100% of it should be, GM has no one to blame but themselves for the negative perception on this. Regardless american consumers always have the last word and as of right now that is keep your POS mexican made blazer GM! To say this model is not selling well would be an understatement at the moment.

Time for Mary to go imo, GM needs a car person in charge or someone that at least doesn't look at automobiles like an appliance. She had her spot but it's time to move on from her imo, gm design is just lifeless under her!

Thinking they need to remove the Blazer period! From the Chev line up! 

Why they would drop a top seller like the Volt and build another suv is beyond me. IMO they should be making a true Blazer like the old days to compete with the Bronco that is coming out.

Mary is questionable in my books. Making some dumb decisions.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this on the news is how the management of Comerica Park let GM use that advertising space (put a car there) without cost when the company was going bankrupt.  Then they use this space to advertise a foreign made vehicle - after closing a plant.  Tone deaf much?  Ungrateful much?

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, whypac said:

To me, the Blazer should have been a Colorado-based, body on frame Truck, with Tahoe-esque body.  And of course, built in the USA.

Blazer ZR2 anyone?

Sort of like the Holden Trailblazer? https://www.holden.com.au/cars/trailblazer  Wish they would build a US version of these myself.

GM...like the Federal Govt couldnt afford funding the Baby Boomers retirements.

Why it all went to pot.

This is the most peaceful resurection of the Spanish Empire taking over America’s nuclear arsenal that could ever happen. 1960’s womens rights destroyed the white race.

Only way we can get salvation is to buy prayer mats and start condoning stoning cheating wives....er start learnin Spanish. Only way to ward off the Chinese.GM and Ford are swingin both the Latino and Chinese...god help us if those Latino’s side with China.

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, Likarok said:

Thinking they need to remove the Blazer period! From the Chev line up! 

Why they would drop a top seller like the Volt and build another suv is beyond me. IMO they should be making a true Blazer like the old days to compete with the Bronco that is coming out.

Mary is questionable in my books. Making some dumb decisions.

GM and Ford are both following the marketplace.  The Volt was just too much money for what you get.  GM wanted $10k to $13k more than a well equipped Cruze for the Volt the last time I looked.  To me GM got the idea right.  They simply copied the locomotive technology that trains across North America have been using since end of the 2nd world war.  You simply do not ever drive the wheels directly with fossil fuel.  The gas engine on board is to simply run a generator for the electric motors.

You can't ignore the impact the unions have had on the price per unit in the cost of manufacturing.  Unions today are not benefitting anyone but the union itself.  I never worked in a union shop, and when I got injured at work, I got complete coverage without a single union person having to get involved.  I got retraining when it was decided I could not return to my previous job.  That retraining was paid for, and again, no union rep had be called. After the retraining I only applied for one job, and was hired two weeks later.  I worked at that company for 7 years when it was taken over by a large US company.  We were never approached to become unionized.  The US company got hit hard by the fall in the telecom industry back in 00/01.  They gave me enough to allow me be able to get a job that did not require a resume to apply.  Again, not 1 union helped out.  My point in all this, unions have run their course.  In the US and Canada, unions are leeches on back of factory workers.