Trail Boss vs LT

Trying to get some advice and info on a new truck for my 75 year old dad.  He currently drives a 1999 Silverado 2500HD with 6.0 engine and 4 wheel drive.  Has a little over 200K miles and it's starting to see it's age and not as reliable as it use to be.  He drives it everyday and heads out to the ranch about 2 hours away a lot so want to get him into something new and reliable.  Don't want to be worrying about him being broke down on the side of the road when heading out to the ranch and he's never had a brand new truck.  Has a budget of $35K max and has to be a V8 with 4 wheel drive so the two trucks that I've came across in that price range are a Custom Trail Boss and a LT Texas Edition both in a double cab.  He tows a 15" trailer loaded with a couple of zero turns and other equipment to the ranch when needed so towing is a must.  Backup sensors and rear camera would be real nice for him to help connect the trailer.  I noticed that the TB has a 6 speed transmission and the LT has a 8 speed.  Out of the two options which would you fellas recommend to be the best option for what my dad needs?  Any pros and cons to the TB vs LT?  

Not saying that he would have a hard time getting in and out of a lifted truck but an LT with dueler tires work fine for me when i go "offroad". I do not know what hes doing at the ranch and what type of roads are there.

But @Mandalorian has a good point, a equipped K2 would be nice for him as well.

LT all the way in this case. The equipment level/ interior is MUCH nicer, and it’s a better driving truck dynamically. The tuning is much more responsive and DFM is much better than AFM as far as cylinder deactivation.

The LT’s 8 speed might be a slight wildcard but most are happy with it, and I had plenty of clunkiness out of my old 6 speed too...so it’s a wash in my view as far as transmissions.

The LT should also be better on gas, easier to get in and out of, and I reckon it would tow better as well. 

15 minutes ago, PearlWhiteGT said:

Thanks fellas.  What exactly is the K2?  Does the LT have the back up camera where it shows the alignment of the trailer while hooking up?  Thought I saw that feature on the TB in a video online.   

A K2 would be a 2018.  If reliability is your no1 priority I think a Z71 equipped K2 is the right way to go also.

Edited by zzrsouth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PearlWhiteGT said:

Thanks fellas.  What exactly is the K2?  Does the LT have the back up camera where it shows the alignment of the trailer while hooking up?  Thought I saw that feature on the TB in a video online.   

Hitch guidance is available on the LT and LT Trail Boss, but not the Custom Trail Boss. LT also has an 8” screen instead of 7” on the Custom TB.

As far as reliability, most of the kinks are worked out of the T1s by now, unless you wind up with an early build one.

That said, the old platform K2s are still available as 2019 models, albeit with limited trim selections. He will probably get a little bit more for his money there, although prices on the T1s are now very close to those 2019 K2s. 

23 hours ago, PearlWhiteGT said:

Trying to get some advice and info on a new truck for my 75 year old dad.  He currently drives a 1999 Silverado 2500HD with 6.0 engine and 4 wheel drive.  Has a little over 200K miles and it's starting to see it's age and not as reliable as it use to be.  He drives it everyday and heads out to the ranch about 2 hours away a lot so want to get him into something new and reliable.  Don't want to be worrying about him being broke down on the side of the road when heading out to the ranch and he's never had a brand new truck.  Has a budget of $35K max and has to be a V8 with 4 wheel drive so the two trucks that I've came across in that price range are a Custom Trail Boss and a LT Texas Edition both in a double cab.  He tows a 15" trailer loaded with a couple of zero turns and other equipment to the ranch when needed so towing is a must.  Backup sensors and rear camera would be real nice for him to help connect the trailer.  I noticed that the TB has a 6 speed transmission and the LT has a 8 speed.  Out of the two options which would you fellas recommend to be the best option for what my dad needs?  Any pros and cons to the TB vs LT?  

For a man of your Dad's age stay away from the Trail Boss package in any trim level.

The added raised height will make it harder for him to enter and exit, unless he is perfectly healthy and very active for his age.

Just food for thought in my opinion. Otherwise unless he has a trade in, all you can get for 35k would be a custom trim level.

There may be an LT out there for that price but it will be a basic LT.

12 minutes ago, Windmill Greaser said:

I disagree with Dan 

I have a TB and with the stock step which is flat very easy to get in and out . Even wife likes it with her stilettos 

I appreciate your point of view, but are you 75 years old?

• Like 1

My 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 is pretty high for him to get in and out without steps so maybe the LT is a better option.  Here is the LT I came across.

https://www.applesportchevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Double_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT-Marlin-TX/3375828833     

My Father-in-Law is 6'3 and 76 years old.

It is even hard for him to get up and slide over onto the seat of my "leveled" sierra.

I do not have side steps but can still see where it would be a challenge for him.

10 minutes ago, PearlWhiteGT said:

My 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 is pretty high for him to get in and out without steps so maybe the LT is a better option.  Here is the LT I came across.

https://www.applesportchevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Double_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT-Marlin-TX/3375828833     

That is a great looking LT 4x4 for 33K Mike. 

I suspect a crew cab in the same LT would be a few thousand more.

42 minutes ago, Windmill Greaser said:

I disagree with Dan 

I have a TB and with the stock step which is flat very easy to get in and out . Even wife likes it with her stilettos 

Is your TB 4WD?  OP says his dad needs 4WD to access his farm/homestead.