Road Trip Mods?

Heading on a family road trip in my 2018 Silverado crew cab at the end of July. Anybody out there have ideas/mods to make the interior more convenient? For example, adding a cup holder on the floor for the middle backseat passenger, lining the interior of the center console with a waterproof liner so I can add ice and make it a makeshift cooler...etc.

We usually take the wife's Traverse which allows pretty easy access to small coolers and such during the drive. Trying to find ways to make the Silverado just as convenient. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Do you have a sliding rear window? Put your cooler in the bed if you do and reach through the window.

It's summertime and heat is a concern, so use your remote start/Chevy app wisely so you return to a cooled off vehicle. Once the air has run on high long enough, switch to floor+dash vents. The back seat has its own floor vents.

You're not gonna be driving for extended periods with 3 adults across the back seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a auto shade for the windshield when parked for longer periods of time. But I keep a white “golf” towel to throw over the steering wheel for short stops.

I keep paper napkins in the sun glasses holder since every pair my wife has found that fit in there just rattle anyway. Mostly use them to stick in the bottom of the cup holder to keep the condensation from making a mess.

• Like 1

Id get an inverter so everyone can plug in.

Went on our first long road trip a few weekends ago and it was a life saver.  I got one with 3 110v outlets and 2 usb,  Wife plugged in the laptop and 2 kids plugged in their ipads.  Good to go.  Think I paid like $30 on Amazon

• Like 3

Ceramic window tint, sound deaden the cab trust me when I tell it makes a HUGE difference if done correctly, super quite cab it tends to make some folks sleepy.

You can buy a wired cooler although they are NOT real refrigeration, or a cooler with dry ice. I hate water in the cab.  

• Like 1

In my personal experience, there is nothing more important (besides everything mechanically sound) than to prepare the windshield. Both inside and out.

The way i do it is :

Outside

-Clean very well with dishwasher and rinse

-Decontaminate with white vinegar/water mix, and rinse again

-Dry very well

-2 coats of Wax of your choice

Inside

-Clean very well with dishwasher and rinse

-Apply regular RainX and clean off 

Use blue Shop Towels, theyre great and also they come perfectly clean from the roll

Also a pack of 2 of wet towels to clean the steering wheel, your hands, etc (i dont like the interior of my truck sticky)

• Like 1

I know I’m different. Just me and my wife. I take lots of trips. My trip vehicle is a Camry. I not gonna put trip miles on my truck. Some places I have to use valet. It gets 35-37 mpg. Nobody gonna steal it out of a parking lot. A loaded one cost less than a work truck. And most importantly my wife can get in it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

How the times have changed.  When I was a kid on a road trip with my parents, my brother and I would have a competition on how many out of state license plates or different wildlife we could spot.  My kids played Slug Bug, my point is previous generations had their eyes out the window and took in the scenery and the surroundings. This generation of youngsters with their eyes glued to electronic devices is missing out on a whole wide world out there. If you don't send your young adults to a trade school and are hell bent on them going to college, I highly recommend an optometry school, should be a high demand for corrective vision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My trip vehicle is a Camry. Nobody gonna steal it out of a parking lot.

The Camry is literally on the hot wheels list every year and has been for years...

Don’t get me wrong Camrys are nice I had one for awhile when I was commuting 90+ miles a day. Mileage for the size of car was killer. Just don’t kid yourself thinking it can’t disappear. 

• Like 1

The Camry is literally on the hot wheels list every year and has been for years...

Don’t get me wrong Camrys are nice I had one for awhile when I was commuting 90+ miles a day. Mileage for the size of car was killer. Just don’t kid yourself thinking it can’t disappear. 

Maybe so. I would just get another one. My other vehicles are more personalized and would be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the full center console, replace the DC outlet on the back with a 2 USB outlet.  I'm eventually doing this mod, plus a second one on the left side, similar location.  Or purchase DC to USB adapters for your DC outlets.

image.png.ae923585c0c1e92367b1bfb705371f40.png