Has anyone had their soft Tonneau cover broken into?

Alright fellow truckers here is my current internal truck accessory debate:

Soft vs. Hard Tonneau Cover specifically, Truxedo lopro vs Truxedo Sentry...

Only decision point for me is: do I need the extra security of the hard cover and is worth giving up the extra  $380 and the lifetime warranty of the soft cover (hard cover is only 3 years)

Talking to the local truck accessory store they guy who's run it for 20 years says he's never had anyone come back asking to buy a new tarp because someone cut it and he thinks it's a much better value to get the lopro soft cover...

I've been driving a truck for about 6 years now and I've always had a hard cover, mostly a tonnopro hard fold but, they never hold up, I have to ask for a warranty replacement every year or so because something fails: stitching, seals don't stay stuck or a time or two they just showed up defective (cheap china crap cover basically), it doesn't look great on the truck and I'm sick of having to get new ones sent out...

I rarely have anything of great value in the bed, I keep a few trailer hitches, some tie straps & other odd ball tools in the bed and a time or two per year we make a vacation trip up north with the dogs and I have to load up all of our stuff including some guns and laptops etc in the bed of the truck but, beyond those trips, I rarely have anything of value left unattended in the bed & I suppose I could get an under the cover lockable tool box for about $200 from Buyers Products but, now I am pushing into hard cover $$ territory...

Not interested in folding covers or Undercover classic type covers that have to be removed ahead of time for bed access fyi..

So besides general insight and opinions: have you ever had your cover broken into? Mine looks like a soft cover from the outside and no one has tried over the years..

Thanks!!

i bought my first truck (an 89 chev) in 1997 and immediately put a soft cover on it.  it was the only vehicle i drove for 19 years.  not once was the cover ever damaged or anything ever taken from the back of my truck.

in 2016 i bought my second truck (a 14 silverado) and like my '89 i immediately put a soft cover on it too (truxedo truxport toneau cover).   like my other truck - so far absolutely no issues with damage to the cover or stuff getting stolen out of the box.

• Like 1

I have seen them broken into. But it is rarely for things in the bed. But rather to take the tailgate or tail lights. Sounds stupid to many but turns out tailgates are huge money and high demand. Something like $700-1500. Now the higher end trucks have locking gates but they can still get them. And the tail lights a also few hundred and easy 2 screws to remove.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys... I am having a hard time justifying the hard cover for $889 vs the soft at $499 especially considering the warranty differences...

I'm also considering a cheap under the cover aluminum tool box https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Aluminum-Toolbox-Underbody-Underbed/dp/B077QN96H1/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=truck+bed+lock+box&qid=1562036962&s=gateway&sr=8-22

I figure I can toss this in the bed towards the bulk head and lock it to the tie downs to stash my guns, laptops and other valuables as needed a couple of times a year.. Most of the time I put that kinda of stuff in the back seat but, when I take my dogs with me they basically take up the entire back seat and I typically put them on the floor I can't stash stuff under the seats...

I have a soft roll-up cover and had no major issues with it so far. I have it more for keeping items out of the weather rather than security. I think it may help with security in the sense of 'out of sight, out of mind'. So far, nobody's tried to cut it.
I like the pure versatility of the soft rollups.

For more security, it would be nice to have a soft cover with a grid of small stainless cable woven into the cover, say on a 2 or 3" grid. Pretty hard to cut that with a knife.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental
  • Like 3

I've not had any security concerns over about 4 years of ownership. I'm very happy with my Truxedo LoPro.

I also have an undercover swing case for my towing accessories, which is lockable. but I don't think I've ever locked it. http://www.swingcase.us/chevrolet-truck-toolbox-sc100.htm

Like Nanotech said above, keeping things hidden is key. If somebody wanted to pry up a hard cover, they could do it too.

Its kind of like locking doors, it only keeps out the honest theives. If somebody wants to get in bad enough, does it really matter?

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 2

Someone that would steal out of your bed = low life

Low life = not very bright, crime of opportunity. They see, they take

Soft cover = they can’t see what they are cutting it open for

That’s why it hardly ever happens

More likely to get a convertible top cut open because they can see something inside they want.

• Like 3

Like aseibel said they both can be broken into with about the same amount of effort by a seasoned thief. I have soft roll ups on both my 1/2 & 3/4 tons never had a problem with people taking anything from either one. We travel in the 1/2 ton some been to KC half a dozen times I leave my straps, ect under the rear seat or in the hotel room and roll the cover up when there’s nothing in the bed while cruising around the city and parking in the hotel lots. 3/4 ton the gate don’t lock so if they have a brain and try the handle first they wouldn’t need to cut it anyway. In the winter there’s always $150+ worth of gear sitting right behind the gate. Only thing I do different is if leaving it at the repair shop or somewhere else over night I try to find a spot to back it up to something so they can’t drop the gate.

• Like 1

Just picked up a soft one can lock my tailgate to keep people out if they want it that bad they are gonna risk cutting it they can have it I don't see it being an issue

• Like 2

I’ve had both (2 soft tops and 4 hard tops on 5 trucks). I’ve been in a band forever so for me it’s both security and strength in a heavy snowfall. I always say if what you’re putting in your bed is worth more than the cover, get the nicer cover hahaha. My guitar gear is expensive and weather sensitive. So I always get a hard cover now. Guitarsa always go in the cab, but the racks, Amps and speaker cabinets go in the bed. But what I learned the hard way about soft covers on my 2nd one was that even tho they tend to leak less in the rain, that can collapse more easily under heavy snow than most hard covers. It’s true neither are impenetrable, but the hard covers tend to “look like more work to get into” I’ve been told. Rn I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and so far I love it. Only water getting in is from a high pressure car wash and it can allegedly hold 400lbs. On top. Not that I’d load it that way but if that much snow is ever on it I have a different problem. Hahha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback guys.. Wound up buying a Truxedo Pro X15 it has the vinyl like a lo pro but, then has convertible top type material sewn on top of that.. Paid $490 + tax at the local accessories place, they'll have it in tomorrow... Will post some pics once it's on...

Edited by Imcrazy
  • Like 2

You have to remember too... cutting into a Tonneau cover is going to attract lots of attention. Especially if your tailgate locks. It doesn't look natural trying to steal gear out of a torn hole with the gate up.

Unlikely scenario. If you want the soft one, get the soft one. Personally I would prefer soft, so I can roll it out of the way if I have a massive amount of stuff that would protrude above the bed rails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1