Life of brakes

81k on a 2014, pads and rotors still have plenty of life.  Did a brake fluid flush around 70k and I had to tighten up the parking brake once.

It's the ferro-nitric compounds that allow the brakes to last for a long time.

• Like 1

72K on all pads/rotors on my '16, all rotors warped.  However, I didn't buy the truck until 72k, so I'm guessing the PO used the brakes often.  I've also seen threads here of guys needing pads by 40k.  Brake longevity comes down to driving style for the most part; the more times you touch the brake pedal, the faster they wear.  I replaced the front pads with Raybestos semi-ceramic; they stop awesome and produce almost no dust, but do make a squeal when cold.

Edited by dukedkt442

2017 sierrra. 63k

Pads are probably half or less on the front. Rotors are gone and warped. Rears? Fluid is down a bit in the master. Haven’t flushed her yet. 

Looking for replacements....Chevy brake kit is too much. 

Any opinions on the best stuff out there?

Factory replacement stuff or slotted typed upgrade?

Powerstop makes a nice kit for these trucks with good rotors and pads. Haven't had a problem them in the past.

Otherwise I really like the Ultra Premium coated rotors from Napa and the adapative one pads. I'd check those out for sure. If there isn't a rebate available you can still see if there is a discount when ordering online and picking up in store. Can save 10% sometimes.

50K on a 2015.  The pads are fine, rear rotors are fine, front rotors have a very little pulsation in them.  Will probably replace them soon.

These FNC rotors are actually really good and they don't show surface rust either.

Almost 75k miles, 2017 Sierra 1500 4x4. Pads and rotors still have lots of life left. Might go 140-150k. Never had brakes go near this long on any vehicle I've owned, not even close & I try to be easy on brakes. Truck still stops real fast when I want it to. When it comes time to replace, I'll just put the factory stuff on again. Why mess with a good thing?

Edited by Nanotech Environmental

• 2 weeks later...

typically brakes on these trucks last 75K ish some get more . you will get less depending on braking habits, towing, extra weight etc 

as a tech i would recommend doing the brake fluid 45k miles/ every 3 years unless you are doing heavy towing and things of such then recommend to do it sooner just as other fluids due to the over working of the system. 

I read all of these and am amazed. I have a 2015 Sierra 1500 Denali and earlier this summer I had to replace everything, pads and rotors front and rear at 42k miles.

So, I live in Syracuse, but work from home sometimes travel the Thruway to see customers. The front outside pads were real thin and the back pads were to the rotor. The back of the rotors was rusted craters.

The rear brakes looked OK, on the outside, but the rear inside pads were getting pretty thin and the rotors were rusted bad.

This is my vehicle that stays outside, but I never let it stay dirty and stop at the touchless carwash after any real salty travels.

I NEVER leave my truck dirty or salty. 

One thing I wonder about is the factory 22" rims -they definitely leave the calipers very exposed? 

Funny thing was the truck had been NYS inspected last September and they didn't say that I was close. Never heard the wear indicators, The only reason I took a closer look was because I had just started feeling a very slight pulse and heard a light growl.

I totally love this truck and was just surprised by the brake wear.  

GMC 42KBrakes3.JPG

GMC 42KBrakes.JPG

GMC 42KBrakes2.JPG

Edited by Glava2876