How does a GM buyback work?

Just curious if anyone here has done a GM buyback? How do they determine what value you get back? Is it based off purchase price with rebates or some percentage of the original MSRP? Is there a deduction for mileage?

Do you get your sales tax back even if you don't buy another gm truck? Guess it might vary by State. Mine could be headed that direction, but not sure yet. Just curious what to expect if it does.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Its all done on a case by case basis. GM will analyze the "deal" on your truck and then make a decision from there.  I know most lemon law attorneys go for everything. Payments, down, payment, add ons, any sort of expense you have had pertaining to the truck. Best case is you drop the keys and truck off to the dealer and you get every penny spent back. Almost like you never owned it. But its almost 100% guaranteed this wont happen without an attorney. 

Do yourself a favor and consult with a  lemon law lawyer. GM does NOT have your best interest in mind, and will play games for months.  Plenty of people on here have requested a buy back from GM and been denied. These people all had strong cases witch include multiple repair attempts and have had their vehicle in the shop for 30+ days. The attorneys are no cost out of pocket and typically will have GM pay the attorney fees. 

• Like 3

Well in my case, I'm working progressively through the process. I want to hear what their offer is. I was told in my state they likely could not do a trade assist. It would have to be a buy back or lemon law, both of which cause a salvage title ND auction of the truck essentially. I have the lemon law as a fall back to use in negotiations. In my state the attorney general has an arbitration program, no lawyer needed. You pay $250 which you get back if you win. In my state I get a full refund of everything with lemon law up to one year and 12k miles with no depreciation for mileage. Because I am way past 30 days it should be a slam dunk. But that process could take months so if gm is willing to come close to that it would certainly be worth it to bring this saga to an end.

I had one day to enjoy my truck before this all started. I really do like the truck overall and would probably buy one again. All my issues were caused by a 1/4 inch crack in a piece of plastic. I just want to get in my truck and have it bring me joy and a smile. Right now it is just frustration and regret.

Even though I have become the laughing stock of my office and neighborhood I think I would do it again for a 2020 trail boss with the 10 speed.

Big sticking point would be sales tax. I get it back with lemon law. Tax was almost $4k, so that is a big sticking point if the buyback doesn't get you a refund of taxes paid.

I am in the same boat as you. I do like the truck, just can’t enjoy it with the issues it’s having. Also, having gone through the process with ford i know it’s long and arduous. Gm exec called me today and pretty much told me the warranty and month payment would be given. I also told them about my issues with my radio(non nav 8”) issues and back up camera and how the HD radio camera is 100x better without the darking or black out screen. They said they may be willing to give me that as well. So, looks like they may be playing ball. As annoying as this is, AGAIN, at least there is an inkling more of help from gm than ford. If people think gm customer service is bad. Whoooooofphhh. Ford customer service was absolutely horrendous. Good luck. I hope it all works out for the both of us. Btw, what state are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im in New York. My 16 Silverado was a lemon too. 60 days with no A/C. Gm was great, extended warranty and free oil changes, then ultimately gave me extra off on this 19. So that has been part of my decision to stick with the brand. On the other hand all three of my neighbor's have f150s with zero problems.

I will also say I've been in probably 9 different loaner trucks, all 19 Silverados. Mine was an early build and it seems like quality, fit/finish has gotten way worse further into production. The one I just had was brand new and the front quarter panels had probably 1/2 inch gap all the way down the hood and a huge paint overspray line on the driver door. Another loaner had a roof pop and a DIC and radio that flickered bad.

So getting another Silverado feels like I'd be playing Russian roulette.

8 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Im in New York. My 16 Silverado was a lemon too. 60 days with no A/C. Gm was great, extended warranty and free oil changes, then ultimately gave me extra off on this 19. So that has been part of my decision to stick with the brand. On the other hand all three of my neighbor's have f150s with zero problems.

I will also say I've been in probably 9 different loaner trucks, all 19 Silverados. Mine was an early build and it seems like quality, fit/finish has gotten way worse further into production. The one I just had was brand new and the front quarter panels had probably 1/2 inch gap all the way down the hood and a huge paint overspray line on the driver door. Another loaner had a roof pop and a DIC and radio that flickered bad.

I'm in the same boat.  When I first started having motor knocking issues at 800 miles I was fine with the truck being fixed or swapped.  Now after seeing the true GM colors I want nothing to do with the brand.  No way could I deal with all this BS again on another GM truck. GM's poor service had literally taken 5 years off my lifespan. 

Depending on your state if you go the lemon law route you should be entitled to get back the tax you paid.  If you really want to get out of the truck 100% in your favor go lemon law. I can promise you GM will do what benefits them not you. 

11 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I think i would take my chances with another brand at this point, two buybacks in a row is brutal. What was the piece of plastic that broke that created this mess for you?

I think i would take my chances with another brand at this point, two buybacks in a row is brutal. What was the piece of plastic that broke that created this mess for you?
Crack in the rear window frame causing water damage all over the truck, and then gm trying to caulk it instead of replacing window. See the 600 page rear window water leak thread if you have trouble falling asleep and need something to read.

The definition of insanity is doing something the same way three times and expecting a different result. But I figured I would be just as likely to get a lemon in a Ford or Dodge so might as well stick with the Devil you know than the one you don't.

I cannot say good enough things about Kimmel & Silvermann (Lemonlaw.com).

Just reach out to them via their website and talk with them. It's no pressure on their side - but had I not gotten a lawyer, GM was not going to do anything for me. They will probably try to offer a settlement - but you are square in Lemon Law territory. The lawyer who did my case has a strong track record with going after GM to make things right.

I cannot say good enough things about Kimmel & Silvermann (Lemonlaw.com).

Just reach out to them via their website and talk with them. It's no pressure on their side - but had I not gotten a lawyer, GM was not going to do anything for me. They will probably try to offer a settlement - but you are square in Lemon Law territory. The lawyer who did my case has a strong track record with going after GM to make things right.
Thanks for the tip. The NY attorney general arbitration program is specifically setup so you don't need an attorney, and can be a document only hearing so you don't have to attend and be cross examined by GM. See what the buyback offer is first and go from there.

All this talk has me thinking maybe I should buy a Tundra since Canada doesn't really have any true lemon laws. Then again, I don't want to have to tear the engine down to fix a leaking cam tower seal or rebuild a leaking rear differential or deal with the truck braking itself while on a straight, empty road for no reason...