Speed limit in dash display

Hi all,  I have a 2019 Texas edition, 2wd, love it.  I just was out of town and my rental was a 2020 Suburban, LT.  It had the posted speed limit next to the digital read out of your actual speed.  Just curious if this is only in a 2020 and if anyone has it in their trucks?  It’s a cool feature and I I'm  sure it’s  based on your GPS location but I haven’t had my truck long enough (2 weeks) to know if this was only a 2020 option, only for Tahoe’s or Suburbans?    

Thanks!

Randall  

My 19 LTZ has it as did my 16 Yukon. I thought it was pretty standard in later GM vehicles. Did you scroll through the driver info center (center screen) to see if you can enable it there?  I believe that is where I turned it on. 

59 minutes ago, Rmiles2314 said:

Hi all,  I have a 2019 Texas edition, 2wd, love it.  I just was out of town and my rental was a 2020 Suburban, LT.  It had the posted speed limit next to the digital read out of your actual speed.  Just curious if this is only in a 2020 and if anyone has it in their trucks?  It’s a cool feature and I I'm  sure it’s  based on your GPS location but I haven’t had my truck long enough (2 weeks) to know if this was only a 2020 option, only for Tahoe’s or Suburbans?    

Thanks!

Randall  

Nav.  Its on vehicles with nav radio.  Started in 2015 or 2016 if I recall.  If you have the IOS radio in your truck, you can get the factory nav upgrade.  $450 SD card that installs nav to your truck.   

Edited by newdude

On 9/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, Rmiles2314 said:

Thanks!

Randall  

• 1 year later...

I have a 2021 Tahoe LT with Signature Package. I cannot figure out how to display the speed limit. Any ideas? I do not see any nav. Any way you can do it with google maps or Apple Maps?

Very annoying. I took the feature for granted in my 2015 Sierra and honestly did not even think it was anything but standard on a vehicle that costs $60+. 

15 hours ago, Jeremy Want said:

Any way you can do it with google maps or Apple Maps?

On most roads Apple Maps displays the speed limit in CarPlay.

Check to make sure it is enabled on your phone.

Settings>Maps>Driving>Speed Limit "on". You can also turn on compass.

Of course it displays on the infotainment screen, not the DIC.

Edited by bdallas
edit

There's some incomplete or inaccurate info in this thread.  I'm going to try to clear that up. 

If you have the IOS radio (8" color screen) you can add factory navigation.  I did it through MVi.

However, adding factory navigation won't automatically give you the speed limit on your DIC.  If you have the cluster with 4 actual gauges in the top for fuel, oil pressure, battery, etc then the speed limit cannot be displayed on the screen.  You'd need to get the digital cluster from the LTZ and High Country trucks.  Iirc, WAMS can help you with that.

FYI, telling us it's a Texas Edition does not help us know how to advise you.  Texas Edition is available on a couple trim levels.  So is All Star.  We need to know if it's a LT, RST, Custon, LTZ, etc. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Transient said:

There's some incomplete or inaccurate info in this thread.  I'm going to try to clear that up. 

If you have the IOS radio (8" color screen) you can add factory navigation.  I did it through MVi.

However, adding factory navigation won't automatically give you the speed limit on your DIC.  If you have the cluster with 4 actual gauges in the top for fuel, oil pressure, battery, etc then the speed limit cannot be displayed on the screen.  You'd need to get the digital cluster from the LTZ and High Country trucks.  Iirc, WAMS can help you with that.

Yes, IOS can upgrade only through the aftermarket now.  GM dropped the SD card kit about a year ago.

The speed limit indicator.  I did have the opportunity to install one in an RST that had IOS and Conv II.  The GM kit did allow for the speed limit function to operate.  When I programmed the truck they had me do the radio and the IPC.  You ended up with a white square next to the vehicle speed to indicate posted speed limit. 

Here's a shot of a 2020 Colorado with factory IOT nav. Colorado also uses the 3.0 generation radios IOR/IOS/IOT.  Its quite possible that the aftermarket route doesn't allow this as the IPC isn't reprogrammed like the GM kit made you do.  

IMG_0577.thumb.jpg.0cf514340fe5d5198cdbe1e6397ef390.jpg

Edited by newdude

6 hours ago, newdude said:

Yes, IOS can upgrade only through the aftermarket now.  GM dropped the SD card kit about a year ago.

The speed limit indicator.  I did have the opportunity to install one in an RST that had IOS and Conv II.  The GM kit did allow for the speed limit function to operate.  When I programmed the truck they had me do the radio and the IPC.  You ended up with a white square next to the vehicle speed to indicate posted speed limit. 

Here's a shot of a 2020 Colorado with factory IOT nav. Colorado also uses the 3.0 generation radios IOR/IOS/IOT.  Its quite possible that the aftermarket route doesn't allow this as the IPC isn't reprogrammed like the GM kit made you do.  

IMG_0577.thumb.jpg.0cf514340fe5d5198cdbe1e6397ef390.jpg

Do you have a pic of that cluster with the gauges above the screen shown?  I'm not familiar with the Colorado and if it has 2 different clusters like the Sierra/Silverado.

With that said, I don't have 100% confidence in GM factory navigation, but I think it's better than Android Auto/Apple Carplay.  I had less than satisfactory experience with the latter.  The street I live on has been around for over 50 years (based on age of home).  If I use factory navigation to get me home, and fail to turn it off once I know where I'm at, I'll pull into my street and get an audible notification that I'm no longer driving on a designated road.  This is ironic since it recognizes my address.  My street has a different name from the street I turn off to get onto it. 

11 hours ago, Transient said:

Do you have a pic of that cluster with the gauges above the screen shown?  I'm not familiar with the Colorado and if it has 2 different clusters like the Sierra/Silverado.

Yes that's the Colorado cluster.  They have the same exact DIC display for IOS and IOT that the Silverado does.  Colorado doesn't have a digital cluster like Silverado however, just low level or up level DIC versions with analog gauges.