Going in for first oil change- what to expect and what else to take care of?

Ok guys. I have scheduled my first oil change for this Saturday morning at my local dealer. Oil life is at 20% and I am right around 6200 miles.

Now aside from the oil change, what else should I expect to take care of? This is my first OEM dealer experience. First new car/truck ever purchased.

Will they seed h for all open TSB’s on this particular VIN? Software updates? The only things I can think of mechanically are 1) the feared oil cooler line issue that some people have experienced. Is there a hose update they should check for? 2) the brake life indicators are way off as I have also seen confirmed by many other threads. Is there a solution for this issue? 3) the 8 speed “clunking” topic. I don’t think I saw any TSB’s or fixes for that. Not that I have experienced anything too bad. Just a few hard “clunks” going from reverse to drive

Thanks guys!!! LOVE the truck so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Not sure what else to look for, seems you got it covered.  They will also rotate the tires. At least here at my dealer they do.

Make sure you mark the tires so you can tell "if" they actually rotated them. They failed to do it during one of my free services because they said the tires were worn even and I didn't need it. My wife picked it up, otherwise I would have said, "I don't care, rotate them anyway!"

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Probably do none of what you ask and everything else you never expected!  No joke....

It's why I don't use the dealer for anything but recalls. I don't even use them for most warranty work. I know there are some good mechanics in dealerships. I even know a few. But being good and being allowed to actually be good …….. Oh, I've got stories. :banghead:

That said, you got this covered. 

• Like 2

Best to have a print out with the TSB numbers on them and ask for them to do it. I wouldn't just assume they will take care of them, even though they should. There's a TSB for the brake life monitor, which also includes GM replacing the pads for you. 

There's also a TSB concerning the 8L90 shudder which involves replacing the transmission fluid. 

• Like 2

I’ve been using dealers for 25 years. The only thing I can suggest is know your manual. They’ll always try to up sell. I have a trusted mechanic I use after warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

It's why I don't use the dealer for anything but recalls. I don't even use them for most warranty work. I know there are some good mechanics in dealerships. I even know a few. But being good and being allowed to actually be good …….. Oh, I've got stories. :banghead:

That said, you got this covered. 

I agree the Dealerships can and do have very good mechanics.  It's the communication from the moment you arrive that turns it into a freak show when it comes out the other end and completed.  What?  Really? I never said or asked for that and why was this done?  Yeah..I got stories too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As of today there are 43 "tsb's",  close to a hundred "PI's" ( preliminary info ), 24 "campaigns". Any of which may or may not apply to your specific truck. You say you love the truck. Don't use this forum to look for issues. If you haven't noticed an issue then it's not really an issue. Drive your truck and love it. Don't worry about what might be.

• Like 5