A few months ago I installed a set of Texas Speed and Performance long tube headers and the catted y pipe they offer. Some then

ive noticed the front of the transmission pan leaks a little bit. The bolt heads have trans fluid on them all the time and every now and then it drips onto the exhaust and I can smell it. I believe this is due to the heat from the catalytic converter that is positioned directly below the trans pan. I haven’t noticed any higher trans temperature and the fluid level of the trans hasn’t gotten low so it not a bad leak, just an annoying smell mostly. I’m trying to decide what to do and I thought I’d get y’alls opinion. I was thinking about making a heat shield to go between the cat and the trans pan. or maybe just tightening the bolts on the trans pan, if I remember correctly the torque spec on those is pretty low and the added heat from the cat might be enough to make it leak. Thanks for any input. 

This is a new one even for me. I would pull pan and inspect it. May need new gasket if that one isn't holding up. As small as 1/2" is enough of a air gap to allow no measurable heat soak. Even if it soaked then the amount of heat it needs to expand and contract is so high I have hard time believing it can happen.

If it is close to trans fluid change do that also.
But then look for heat shields that clamp tot he the exhaust pipes. Wrapping is dangerous for pipes. Last option would be heat coat them but cost is higher.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I definitely wouldn’t do a wrap because this truck sees a lot of mud and that would be a nightmare. I was thinking about fabricating a shield out of mild steel that would bolt to the trans crossmember and sit in between. 

I just changed the trans fluid not that long ago so I’d rather not have to change it again prematurely for cost and labor involved. The fluid doesn’t look burnt and trans temps are normal. 

The gap is about 1/4” on a tiny part but most of it there’s more than 1/2”. 

I think im gonna check the torque on the bolts and make sure they are tight enough. 

EA027D9B-F9A0-4C6A-98C9-EA5BFD93AF1A.jpeg

40E508F8-7858-4520-AC1D-31A89E661E75.jpeg

739F8C8C-A95A-458C-A955-59D761738A0C.jpeg

Do you have it tuned?
I say lose bolts. But that exhaust is coloring. Mine only do that at the bends at the header and that is normal. Should not need a shield. Honestly don't know if that would help heat rises and metal shield would warm up also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Definitely worthwhile to ensure the bolts holding the transmission pan on are snug. They don't require much torque though, so unless the pan was removed and not reinstalled correctly, it may not be that. Perhaps the bolts are too tight and the gasket is not seating properly?

It's probably worth dropping the pan to check the condition of the gasket. My bet is that it's starting to melt as it's rubber.  

A heat shield is something easy to try. If I spent that much on an exhaust, I'd have it coated with something like Swain Tech. I had a set of long tubes and catted Y pipe done once. It cost about $300 and the results were awesome. Super durable and it really keeps the heat inside the exhaust. It lowered the ambient air temp around the pipe quite a bit. 

Edited by nominion