Multi-pro Tailgate Flaw

On 10/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, DianaNeal39 said:

Dave,

Could you send a photo, as to how you installed the weather stripping on the top?  I was in my GM dealership today and asked them to discuss my concerns with GM.

Thank you, 

Sorry for the delay, was goose hunting all weekend.  Here are the pics that show the weatherstripping I put in between the 2 tailgate sections.  Rained quite a bit on me this weekend during a 4 hour drive and I'm fairly sure the little water I'm still getting is coming from the space between the larger tailgate and side of the bed, not here.  

Tailgate2.jpg

Tailgate1.jpg

• 11 months later...

@DianaNeal39 I understand your pain. I came across this forum while looking for a solution to keep a ridiculous amount of road dust and too much car wash water out of my 2020 GMC 2500 HD Denali bed with the Multi-Pro Tailgate and Retrax cover. 

You know, it amazes me at the responses from the numb-nuts negatively responding to this original post. I have a lot of frustrations with my GMC 2500 and I look for solutions and occasionally vent my frustrations and the responses to these post are ridiculous. It's the equivalent of me saying "my wife has PMS and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it, can anyone help?" and some retards saying "well, you shouldn't have gotten married in the first place." I'm looking for a solution here so if you don't have a suggestion then don't respond.

I spent almost $90,000 for a truck that doesn't have a tailgate open indicator, automatic rain-sensing wiper, or adjustable foot pedals and the folks at GM need to know they should fix it. Yeah, I could've bought a Ford or Ram, but I want a GMC that has everything I want. 

Now that I'm done with this I'm going over to Amazon to buy the tailgate seal kit. ?

Thanks for reading!  

9 hours ago, beaddy said:

@DianaNeal39 I understand your pain. I came across this forum while looking for a solution to keep a ridiculous amount of road dust and too much car wash water out of my 2020 GMC 2500 HD Denali bed with the Multi-Pro Tailgate and Retrax cover. 

You know, it amazes me at the responses from the numb-nuts negatively responding to this original post. I have a lot of frustrations with my GMC 2500 and I look for solutions and occasionally vent my frustrations and the responses to these post are ridiculous. It's the equivalent of me saying "my wife has PMS and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it, can anyone help?" and some retards saying "well, you shouldn't have gotten married in the first place." I'm looking for a solution here so if you don't have a suggestion then don't respond.

I spent almost $90,000 for a truck that doesn't have a tailgate open indicator, automatic rain-sensing wiper, or adjustable foot pedals and the folks at GM need to know they should fix it. Yeah, I could've bought a Ford or Ram, but I want a GMC that has everything I want. 

Now that I'm done with this I'm going over to Amazon to buy the tailgate seal kit. ?

Thanks for reading!  

That is one of my largest gripes, how they cannot have rain-sensing wipers blows my mind, all my cars have had this for years and I cannot believe GM didn't do this.  Every time I jump into another car or my wife's car when its raining just makes me realize how simple and great feature it is to have.  Definitely miss it.  

• Haha 1

It's a tail gate, not a rear hatch for an SUV.  You purchased a truck, a darn good one at that, but if you wanted a water proof rear area you should have purchased an SUV.  Common sense prevails in this discussion, its a TAIL GATE on a TRUCK, lol.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gangly said:

It's a tail gate, not a rear hatch for an SUV.  You purchased a truck, a darn good one at that, but if you wanted a water proof rear area you should have purchased an SUV.  Common sense prevails in this discussion, its a TAIL GATE on a TRUCK, lol.

Common sense should prevail, but..........

On 10/22/2019 at 1:46 PM, DianaNeal39 said:

I own a 2019 GMC SLT Sierra with a multi-pro tailgate.  The opening between the main tailgate and the interior tailgate allows water, dirt and snow to come through the 3/4 inch crack between the main and interior tailgate.  The very top lip of the tailgate between the two tailgates has a huge opening which continues to the bottom of the interior tailgate.  GM failed install weather stripping or a seal in this area, so water, dirt and snow will seep through easily through the large crack.  I have a Lomar Tonneau cover and when I went through a car wash yesterday, my interior box bed was wet about 2 ft in from the exterior bed.  If you place a flashlight inside your truck bed and have a Tonneau cover you will see why this crack between the two tailgates allows so much water into the truck bed.  If you view the photos attached, I have circled in red the area that a weather stripping seal is needed.  My GM dealership told me, if I wanted a dryer truck bed, I should have ordered a Yukon.  All owners of a 2019 or 2020 GM with a multi-pro tailgate need to express our disappointment with this design and demand that GM fix the design flaw.  

Chev owners don't know how lucky they are not to have a multi-pro tailgate.  I understand chev will be adding the multi-pro tailgate in 2021. -do=add#.url-do=add#.url 119 B · 28 downloads 550453139_Tailgatesealneeded.JPG.b01f46def487f4342ebbe8a9829267d1.JPG  

Tailgate seal - missing area.JPG

Tailgate missing seal.JPG

Solution = GMC Yukon XL.  It has a factory cover with a seal to keep whatever you place in the back dry.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now that I'm done with this I'm going over to Amazon to buy the tailgate seal kit. [emoji13]

Thanks for reading!  

Not exactly. The OP would be more like saying “my wife has PMS, what’s wrong with her?” To which these replies would be “that’s how she’s designed, if you want something different there are options...”

And all of those “flaws” were present when you cut the check.

The point is it’s a competitive market. GM throws everything into a truck, they price themselves out. They went with a $2k tailgate, others have tailgate sensors and power pedals.

They’re balancing the preferences of hundreds of thousands of consumers and you’re in the minority. The average consumer isn’t paying for that stuff (in GMs opinion)

Me for example: tailgate? Turn around and look. Wipers? See rain, turn on. Pedal? Move seat. That’s my personal set of preferences and solutions, not saying it should be everyone’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I guess it is better than your headliner leaking, or rear window leaking, or evaporator core leaking, or oil cooler lines leaking and whatever else leaks on these new GM professional grade vehicles.

Now this is funny. THESE are flaws, sure know mine ain’t perfect but it’s a good truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 12:22 AM, beaddy said:

Thanks for reading!  

Rain-sensing wiper, eh, maybe. 

But you can't see the tailgate in your rear view mirror?

How does the multi pro tailgate with a cover work with rain?  Like hard rain?  Not only do I use it as a truck, but my family likes to travel in it.  I try to keep the luggage as dry as possible, obviously, so am curious about rain.  I understand high pressure car washes, but usually rain doesn’t come in at that angle.

• 5 months later...

I have to agree.... Is it a missed step on GM.... Yes and no... Would it be nice and convenient to have a well designed specific seal we can purchase through GM for those of us who cover our beds and like it dry.... Absolutely... Are they seal it to not at all... It's a truck... It would just be nice to have an option