Multi-pro Tailgate Flaw

I own a 2019 GMC SLT Sierra with a multi-pro tailgate.  The opening between the main tailgate and the interior tailgate allows water, dirt and snow to come through the 3/4 inch crack between the main and interior tailgate.  The very top lip of the tailgate between the two tailgates has a huge opening which continues to the bottom of the interior tailgate.  GM failed install weather stripping or a seal in this area, so water, dirt and snow will seep through easily through the large crack.  I have a Lomar Tonneau cover and when I went through a car wash yesterday, my interior box bed was wet about 2 ft in from the exterior bed.  If you place a flashlight inside your truck bed and have a Tonneau cover you will see why this crack between the two tailgates allows so much water into the truck bed.  If you view the photos attached, I have circled in red the area that a weather stripping seal is needed.  My GM dealership told me, if I wanted a dryer truck bed, I should have ordered a Yukon.  All owners of a 2019 or 2020 GM with a multi-pro tailgate need to express our disappointment with this design and demand that GM fix the design flaw.  

Chev owners don't know how lucky they are not to have a multi-pro tailgate.  I understand chev will be adding the multi-pro tailgate in 2021.-do=add#.url-do=add#.url550453139_Tailgatesealneeded.JPG.b01f46def487f4342ebbe8a9829267d1.JPG  

Tailgate seal - missing area.JPG

Tailgate missing seal.JPG

Not sure who "our" is but I think you are the first to post of water intrusion with the multi pro gate here.  No pickup truck boxes are entirely waterproof to begin with.  Most are open under the bed rails for proper air flow/venting and even the regular tailgates aren't waterproof.   

• Like 1

Of course I understand, but you have to admit that water would not seep into the bed from the bottom, like it does now from the top with a Multi-pro poor design tailgate.  Please admit the multi-pro design is not the best for those of us that add Tonneau covers as we would like to keep items in the truck bed dry.   Go back to the factory and figure out a fix.

Thank you,

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, newdude said:

Not sure who "our" is but I think you are the first to post of water intrusion with the multi pro gate here.  No pickup truck boxes are entirely waterproof to begin with.  Most are open under the bed rails for proper air flow/venting and even the regular tailgates aren't waterproof.   

Agree.  My 2020 Chev gets wet about 2' into the box as well after going through a high pressure wash.  I have the Embark cover.

• Like 1

I don't understand why you think GM is responsible for your bed not staying dry when that is never a design criteria of theirs, at least not from the truck design side.  The bed is designed to be open and get wet.  If you want it dry that would fall on whoever designed your cover for covering up all of the other "cracks" and providing a solution for that.  

42 minutes ago, DianaNeal39 said:

Of course I understand, but you have to admit that water would not seep into the bed from the bottom, like it does now from the top with a Multi-pro poor design tailgate.  Please admit the multi-pro design is not the best for those of us that add Tonneau covers as we would like to keep items in the truck bed dry.   Go back to the factory and figure out a fix. 

Thank you,

GM will be of zero help as well.  Especially since you have an aftermarket tonneau cover.  If you had a GM one they might express some concern, but having an aftermarket cover is ripe for the ol' "its aftermarket so it might not be sealing properly".    

My Colorado would get a bit of water with a GM tonneau, no multi pro gate.  My K2 would get a bit of water spray with a GM tonneau, no multi pro.  Its not a multi pro gate only thing.  Watch for the aftermarket to have a seal kit as the aftermarket makes tailgate seal kits for regular gates as it is. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

You can buy bed or tailgate seal from a few different manufacturers in bulk rolls from 10' to 100' for about $2 to $3 per foot if you really want to completely seal it from water or dust. My GMC dealer offered a tailgate seal which they sell for the gap between the bottom of the bed and bottom of the tailgate when I bought my GMC tonneau cover for my 2019 Sierra Denali with Multi-Pro tailgate, but I refused as I wanted any water that may be present in the bed to drain out there as designed. None of my other trucks (Ford, GMC or Chevy) ever had a tailgate seal and they all got some very minor amount of water in them when I went through a car wash but not otherwise, and it was easily wiped dry with a towel. However my 2005 Tahoe SUV did have a seal around the rear tailgate door and did not let water, dust or even air in it. This is not a design flaw and GM will not be changing it but instead will leave it up the end user to add whatever bed or tailgate seal they prefer, or not, as they and all other truck manufacturers always have for nearly 100 years. 

When I first saw the prototype for this new gate, my first thought wasn't, "wow, what a useful innovation". Instead it was, "great, another crevice to collect dirt, debris, water and rust."

I'm not surprised in the least.

• Like 2

It doesn't work how you want it to so it is a flaw? If GM wanted it to be perfectly sealed, they would have. A flaw is an overlook in the purpose or structure, the tailgate operates as designed. There was 0% of the design attributed to sealing the bed, has been that was with every tailgate from every manufacturer since the tailgate and pick up was invented. You want it sealed, go buy a roll or rubber and do it. Even the normal tailgate when the pressure washer hits from the rear a good amount of water comes in the bed, the gaps on the sides are large. Not sure why everyone deems something a flaw or problem if it doesn't operate the way they think it should (IE the drop down hitting a hitch), it is designed to work as such. The regular tailgates aren't sealed, no reason the mini multi-pro would be too. Should probably rename this thread so as not to mislead people...

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had many trucks in the past and none of them sealed perfectly to keep water out with a tonneau cover. None of them let much water in either. My new AT4 is exactly the same as all of the others. It let in exactly the same amount as my others. I have the gm rev cover on my AT4.

I have the Retrax ProXR and have been working on getting it as waterproof as possible.  Most of the water I have is coming in through that gap between the 2 sections of the tailgate.  I picked up this weatherstripping from Lowes and put some at the very top on the plastic cap between the 2 tailgates.  That stopped a large amount of the water coming back there.  I think I still have some coming in between the larger gate and the bed on the sides - still working on that piece.  I also have a Rok Block tailgate seal, but haven't installed yet - waiting to get the water coming in from the top addressed before I seal up the main exit path for it.     

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-13-ft-x-1-in-Expand-N-Seal-Foam-Window-Weatherstrip/1000460601