Recently bought a 2019 Silverado 1500 LD with the 5.3 and 6 speed. Have been getting a clunking/thud from a dead stop since day one. Checked u bolts as I’ve read loose u bolts have been an issue with these trucks for whatever reason, still same deal. Seems worse from takeoff on an incline. Any input would be appreciated. I have an appointment to have the dealer look at it. Have zero faith in dealers though so here I am. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Edited by christopher12291987

On 11/1/2019 at 11:52 PM, christopher12291987 said:

Recently bought a 2019 Silverado 1500 LD with the 5.3 and 6 speed. Have been getting a clunking/thud from a dead stop since day one. Checked u bolts as I’ve read loose u bolts have been an issue with these trucks for whatever reason, still same deal. Seems worse from takeoff on an incline. Any input would be appreciated. I have an appointment to have the dealer look at it. Have zero faith in dealers though so here I am. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Did you torque the ubolts or just check if they were tight? On my 2015 when I installed a lift, I torqued them to about 70ftlbs and went for a test drive and had a clunk. increased it to 100ftlbs and no more noise. 

Edited by Zach-91

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/5/2019 at 8:18 AM, Zach-91 said:

Did you torque the ubolts or just check if they were tight? On my 2015 when I installed a lift, I torqued them to about 70ftlbs and went for a test drive and had a clunk. increased it to 100ftlbs and no more noise. 

Did you get a thump/clunk from dead stop or are you describing the lead spring noise at low speeds issue a lot of people describe?

On 11/5/2019 at 8:18 AM, Zach-91 said:

4 minutes ago, christopher12291987 said:

Did you get a thump/clunk from dead stop or are you describing the lead spring noise at low speeds issue a lot of people describe?

Only when going over large bumps like speed bumps and pulling in the driveway 

5 minutes ago, Zach-91 said:

Only when going over large bumps like speed bumps and pulling in the driveway 

Yea I have that issue also which I’ve fixed. I’m getting a takeoff clunk from a dead stop. Dealer can’t figure it out and as much information as is out there I can’t find anyone really having this as a common issue. 

8 minutes ago, christopher12291987 said:

Yea I have that issue also which I’ve fixed. I’m getting a takeoff clunk from a dead stop. Dealer can’t figure it out and as much information as is out there I can’t find anyone really having this as a common issue. 

I did have some weird vibration clunk noises on takeoff on my 2019 with drop shackles and it turned out to be the bolts for the drop shackles that has loosened up over time. 

16 hours ago, christopher12291987 said:

Sounds like your explaining slip yoke clunk which i know my 2014 has it like my 2005 had it. Kind of a gm trait so to speak but have not heard much about it being prevalent in the T series but when has gm been proactive with fixing past issues, almost never these days so my guess imo is as good as any here.Maybe a tech here can chime in but gm truck drivelines are notoriously sloppy at times imo for some reason.

Also to add i know some use to have the dealer pull the drive shaft and i believe they use some type of grease on the splines of the input shaft i believe, like i said im no mechanic here but maybe someone can take what i said from here. I kind of just have learned to live with it but i agree it can be very annoying when it clunks after pressing the gas.

Edited by BIGDOGx

Sounds like your explaining slip yoke clunk which i know my 2014 has it like my 2005 had it. Kind of a gm trait so to speak but have not heard much about it being prevalent in the T series but when has gm been proactive with fixing past issues, almost never these days so my guess imo is as good as any here.Maybe a tech here can chime in but gm truck drivelines are notoriously sloppy at times imo for some reason.

Also to add i know some use to have the dealer pull the drive shaft and i believe they use some type of grease on the splines of the input shaft i believe, like i said im no mechanic here but maybe someone can take what i said from here. I kind of just have learned to live with it but i agree it can be very annoying when it clunks after pressing the gas.
This was a major issue with fords a few years back. The grease would dry up making the slip joint bind up sounded alot like a u joint clunk and/or a rear end. They sold grease kits to fix it. Heard guys putting their own grease zerks on them.

Sent from my SM-J337R4 using Tapatalk

I've had this issue since almost new. I've brought it in twice, and the dealership can never "recreate" the sounds. So the lead says, everytime it happens, to call them and log it so at least if there's a failure, they can track it and it'll help with warranty. Currently at 54000 kms

On 2/27/2020 at 11:27 AM, BIGDOGx said:

So I had it at the dealer again and was quoted a document that stated that the noise I’m hearing is the UN baffled fuel tank and that if noise isn’t present after fueling tank to completely full or at almost empty then it’s the fuel tank. Oddly enough that kind of jives, if I fill it completely it goes away.

• 1 year later...