Ticking sound in engine

I recently bought a 2016 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 engine that has a ticking noise in it that sounds just like a lifter or a loose valve. I took it to the dealer and they looked at it and said that there is no problem that all the 5.3 engines since 2015 do this. I was told that it has to do with the fuel system. I can't help but think that there is a lifter, rocker or something else that is making the noise. My question is does anyone else have a 2016 5.3 that sounds like something is loose in the top of the engine and if so what did you find it to be?

Thanks for any input...

I recently bought a 2016 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 engine that has a ticking noise in it that sounds just like a lifter or a loose valve. I took it to the dealer and they looked at it and said that there is no problem that all the 5.3 engines since 2015 do this. I was told that it has to do with the fuel system. I can't help but think that there is a lifter, rocker or something else that is making the noise. My question is does anyone else have a 2016 5.3 that sounds like something is loose in the top of the engine and if so what did you find it to be?
Thanks for any input...

Here is my 18. Has a tick and also has what I believe to be a piston slap on the driver side. Doesn’t burn oil so I’ll drive it until it breaks. Or it may never break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s normal in the 5.3’s. I’ve got a 6.2 that had a slight tick to it and this may or may not help you but it completely went away after I switched to Amsoil 0W20 signature series. I’ve also heard of Redline engine oil doing the same. Both have added higher concentrations of anti wear additives that help reduce wear and tear. You may even just try other higher end oil like moble1 annual protection and if that doesn’t work try Amsoil XL boosted which is about $7.50 a quart. Good luck!

Sent from Above

12 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

It’s normal in the 5.3’s. I’ve got a 6.2 that had a slight tick to it and this may or may not help you but it completely went away after I switched to Amsoil 0W20 signature series. I’ve also heard of Redline engine oil doing the same. Both have added higher concentrations of anti wear additives that help reduce wear and tear. You may even just try other higher end oil like moble1 annual protection and if that doesn’t work try Amsoil XL boosted which is about $7.50 a quart. Good luck!

Sent from Above

Another Amsoil pitch. Jeez

OP almost all of them do it. Nothing to worry about

• Haha 1

Can i make a non amsoil suggestion? Pop the valve covers off, if everything looks ok and theres nothing loose/broken, just drive it. I had a horrible tick develop that I was sure was a lifter on my 6.2 . Took it to the dealer, they told me it was normal (even though I've owned the truck since new and it had 47,000 miles at the time). I pulled the valve covers and everything checked out. A full day of some pretty aggressive driving, and its been fine since. ?‍♂️

Another Amsoil pitch. Jeez

OP almost all of them do it. Nothing to worry about

Pitch? Incase you can’t read or you just troll the word AMSOIL every chance you get, I added using the higher end Mobl1 , Redline as well as other higher end oils that may make a difference. Just because you use cheap budget oils in your vehicles as you made multiple statements in the past as you purchase based on cost, there are people like myself that don’t look at the price first or just meet specs, we actually enjoy using higher end products that exceed lower requirements in order to maintain their vehicles longevity.

Sent from Above

• Like 1

Direct injection fuel systems are definitely louder than normal port fuel injection. The fuel system pressures are much higher and there's a tendency for the injectors and high pressure pump to make some noise.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, flyingfool said:

take off the manifold cover and air intake,  start engine. and take a super long screwdriver and place it on various parts, and place the end of the handle to your ear.  

4 hours ago, davester said:

...or spend the couple bucks and get a mechanics stethoscope.  You'll find it's more effective at locating sounds than using the screwdriver.

I dont think he needs to do either. It sounds fine. 

edit: im an idiot i just realized the video posted wasnt from the OP. A mechanics stethoscope is only a few bucks from the parts store. But i would try running premium fuel for a few tanks first to see if that quiets it down. 

Edited by tyler.frost92

4 hours ago, tyler.frost92 said:

I dont think he needs to do either. It sounds fine. 

edit: im an idiot i just realized the video posted wasnt from the OP. A mechanics stethoscope is only a few bucks from the parts store. But i would try running premium fuel for a few tanks first to see if that quiets it down. 

sure he does, he's bored and looking for something to do.. hahaha

Edited by flyingfool

If you are new to the LT series Gen 5 Direct Injection engines, you are probably hearing the high pressure injection pump. It ticks at about the same rate a lifter tick would sound at idle. It is totally normal, both my LT engines have the same sound 5.3L and 6.2L. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 5:28 PM, Bob2C said:

Here is my 18. Has a tick and also has what I believe to be a piston slap on the driver side. Doesn’t burn oil so I’ll drive it until it breaks. Or it may never break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2017 Suburban does that.

I was told that they all do that after 2015 by the dealer - sure enough all the Suburban rentals ive had do it as well....not sure what it is....some say its the electric power steering......some say its engine....some say its an elf with a hammer....

• Thanks 1

I have a 2016 Burb with a 5.3 and 101k miles, it makes the same sound as the video posted. Worried me enough to pull the belt and run it, definitely internal since it remained but hard to say for sure...I like the high pressure pump idea better than my paranoid lifter tick diagnosis ?

Time will tell, worst case it’ll be an excuse to upgrade the valvetrain down the road. ?