Anyone not getting the brake booster recall done?

So I got a letter today from GM. I need to read it over again I'm at work right now, but I'm pretty sure it said, "if your truck has never exhibited the symptoms of increased brake pedal effort, dont get the recall done."

I've never had the issue. And from what I understand, the recall is simply a bandaid fix and actually not a good idea because they're just programming the bcm to give you less vacuum?

• Like 1

So I got a letter today from GM. I need to read it over again I'm at work right now, but I'm pretty sure it said, "if your truck has never exhibited the symptoms of increased brake pedal effort, dont get the recall done."

I've never had the issue. And from what I understand, the recall is simply a bandaid fix and actually not a good idea because they're just programming the bcm to give you less vacuum?

I’ve read a bit recently having got the recall notice as well. Seems like the reprogramming just uses the ABS as a backup in case of the decreased vacuum scenario. I’ve held off on getting it done, when I go for my next oil change I’m going to ask them about it.

The odd thing to me is I revived a notice in September saying do not do anything unless you had the described symptoms. Then I received an official recall notice a few weeks later saying address immediately. I just received another notice yesterday, marked Nov 19, saying don’t bring it in unless symptoms are present. And also included a refund form to fill out in case you already paid for any service. Now I’m a bit confused..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a bandaid fix however it is a catch 22. They saved face and offered a resolve in the matter of safety. You don't get it then file claim or have accident then it is possible they can say it is on you. I would get the new pump and the recall. Then know you are gold.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I appear to have the original vacuum pump on my engine and so far it's fine. I have tried hard braking situations and the brake is a bit harder to press but nothing where I can't control it. I even just for the hell of it removed the vacuum tube going to the brake booster and it was very hard to push the pedal down but I could still stop the truck with only a small increase in distance. 

I didn't reprogram the ABS system yet nor did I have the pump replaced yet. I am really considering doing it ahead of time just before the extended warranty coverage for the pump expires on it next year but fear I might cause a problem with it since the factory one is on it and it's been just fine.

1 hour ago, royalkangaroo said:

I’ve read a bit recently having got the recall notice as well. Seems like the reprogramming just uses the ABS as a backup in case of the decreased vacuum scenario. I’ve held off on getting it done, when I go for my next oil change I’m going to ask them about it.

The odd thing to me is I revived a notice in September saying do not do anything unless you had the described symptoms. Then I received an official recall notice a few weeks later saying address immediately. I just received another notice yesterday, marked Nov 19, saying don’t bring it in unless symptoms are present. And also included a refund form to fill out in case you already paid for any service. Now I’m a bit confused..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes this is the one I got in the mail.

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

It is a bandaid fix however it is a catch 22. They saved face and offered a resolve in the matter of safety. You don't get it then file claim or have accident then it is possible they can say it is on you. I would get the new pump and the recall. Then know you are gold.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The recall includes a new pump? I thought all the recall was was a programming thing?

So I'm assuming the unaffected newer trucks (2018's) already had the revised pump from the factory?
Possibly, mine is a '18 and doesn't show up on the VIN recall checker nor have I received a letter

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My 2014 Silverado and my 2015 Sierra have not had any braking issues yet. I have avoided having the recall done on them as it is just a band-aid fix rather than a pump redesign and replacement. I will contact them if I have any issues with the vacuum pump. Much as I avoided the seatbelt recall as they just take a knife and butcher your seat's grommet.