Ugly Interior Knobs

Instead of plastidip, why not scuff them up with a 3m pad or sandpaper and paint them black with spray paint? I have used the Krylon Fusion on the center caps of my wheels on my last truck and it held up 5+ years of road use, washes etc. Should be plenty durable for the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, hotrodz37 said:

Instead of plastidip, why not scuff them up with a 3m pad or sandpaper and paint them black with spray paint? I have used the Krylon Fusion on the center caps of my wheels on my last truck and it held up 5+ years of road use, washes etc. Should be plenty durable for the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thought, thanks

• Like 1

I too hate the knobs. Not because they are chrome but because I paid 70,000 for a truck and got plastic knobs? WTF..... Plastic looks and IS so cheap......

• Like 2

I hate them either way and I’m glad I don’t have them...but wait...they aren’t actually even real aluminum? They almost had me fooled.

I don’t really think paint is gonna look good. It’ll go from cheap looking fake aluminum to cheap looking, undetailed black. They do need some contrast in the sea of black plastic they reside in. If you’re gonna go through the effort of taking them off to do all that, bite the bullet and buy the Chevy knobs or leave them be. 

• Like 1

I too hate the knobs. Not because they are chrome but because I paid 70,000 for a truck and got plastic knobs? WTF..... Plastic looks and IS so cheap......

If you paid that much for any other vehicle they’d still be plastic. Just seems like a very petty thing to complain about.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, FiatDale said:

If you paid that much for any other vehicle they’d still be plastic. Just seems like a very petty thing to complain about.

Petty? LOL.. Yes I know they will all be plastic but my 2014 did not look so "cheap", neither did my 2011. These are disgustingly cheap looking. They look like they came off my kids play set from Toys R Us.  I'll want what I want. Sorry for not being more like you. Wait, no I am not.

Edited by Taz56

1 hour ago, FiatDale said:

I agree.  I can also understand that the colour of the buttons/lights/trim on the dash of your vehicle can be less than optimal for your personal (subjective) tastes. Blaming this on the price of your vehicle is a bit of a head scratcher.  I find that focusing on the big picture keeps me from fixating on the trivial stuff.   

8 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I agree.  I can also understand that the colour of the buttons/lights/trim on the dash of your vehicle can be less than optimal for your personal (subjective) tastes. Blaming this on the price of your vehicle is a bit of a head scratcher.  I find that focusing on the big picture keeps me from fixating on the trivial stuff.   

Everyone is entitled to an opinion... That is yours. 

No need to take shots at other people's opinions just because they differ from yours.

Edited by Taz56

I don’t think it’s so much that they are made of plastic, but by trying so hard to make them look like machined aluminum, they skipped the grippy rubber coating you’d find even on an economy car of 10 years ago. To me, this makes them look and feel cheap, even if the faux aluminum treatment actually costs more to make than the rubber dials of the Chevy. This ain’t the first thread about them either. I think it was a design misstep, and a very typical GM one, at that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately you’re probably looking at way more than $250 to swap all of the knobs out. You can’t buy just a knob, you have to buy whatever module they’re attached to. So, new headlight / mode select switch, radio, ac control. If I had to guess, you’re at least double that if not more.

5 hours ago, FiatDale said:

Unfortunately you’re probably looking at way more than $250 to swap all of the knobs out. You can’t buy just a knob, you have to buy whatever module they’re attached to. So, new headlight / mode select switch, radio, ac control. If I had to guess, you’re at least double that if not more.

I might be wrong but I think you can buy the trim rings only. Was googling some aftermarket ones the other day

4 minutes ago, mistaare said:

I could only find aluminum ones for ‘14-18. If you get a chance could you post a link?

That was my problem too... can’t find 2020’s yet... but was just letting him know that I think the $250 is for the Chevy rings only