Can't figure out my 4l60e issue

Hey everyone, I'm having trouble with my trans. 4l60e .. Out of the blue one day it would engage after start up for about 3 mins. Then it would completely fail .. No movement in any gear... Turn it off for a 5 min crank and it repeated.. fixed that problem... Filter and seal was bad and not allowing it to seal off and couldn't transfer enough fluid...  After it was fixed it worked fine.. i had to use 4wd a week later and manually sifted to 1st and there was nothing it just reved no movement or noises .. Tried 2nd -3rd same results.. it works fine in drive pulls hard no strange noises or funny feelings..shifts through all gears fine .. Any idea why it won't engage manually?

Thanks-B

Yea perfect in drive anything lower and its completely gone... reverse is good... I used reverse couple days ago to remove a tree that fell in the road and i didn't notice any problems.. it was in 4 low tho .. but as for just normal backing out the drive way it works fine 

I'm not really up on transmission problems, but I would suggest checking that the shift cable to the transmission is still working (as in, it is still pushing/pulling the lever on the transmission as it is shifted).

And perhaps read TCM codes (need a more advanced code reader to do this).