Towing with electric?

• 9 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 12:34 PM, LDM said:

This right here.  The infrastructure for electric cars isn't there and it will cost billions to make it capable of handling the load required.  Not to mention where is all this energy going to come from?  Solar and wind?  Those can't even supply what we now need, let alone what we will need when 90+% of the vehicles on the road are electric.  Right now electricity is cheap in many areas but once everyone has to start paying for all that infrastructure and power plants, the costs will skyrocket.  If people think $4-5 gas is expensive, wait until you are paying $1+ for a kWh of electricity for all your power needs at home and for your electric car.  Those electric cars will cost more to buy and more to operate than anyone in this country is going to be willing to pay.

You talk like we've got an unlimited supply of oil, and we're doing this just because some people want change.  We've got a few years left to figure it out, but we probably shouldn't kick the can down the road for too much longer...  World Oil Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)  

Edited by Dmax3
grammar

On 1/23/2020 at 12:22 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Cold climates can reduce a batteries ability by up to 90%. Take your phone out and leave it on the deck and see if it hasn't died in an hour. It's -30c here for a few months, I get mad enough at my phone, I don't need to be kicking my truck because I can only get 100 miles on a charge. Not saving the environment anyway, you're just reducing fuel, and supplementing it with electricity that is primarily generated through burning of fuels. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  

We don't really have a choice.  These need to be developed and will take a few iterations to perfect. 

Edited by Dmax3

I’ve been around for many change claims. Coming ice age to warming now just climate change. Well yes the climate does change. I remember just 20 years we’ll be out of oil, that was 40 years ago. Then came fracking. Some say 100 years. When you get my age, 66 you learn they know nothing. Follow the money. Never count out technology, it can’t be rushed. Nuclear is the best example. Jane Fonda killed that one, imagine that. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dmax3 said:

You talk like we've got an unlimited supply of oil, and we're doing this just because some people want change.  We've got a few years left to figure it out, but we probably shouldn't kick the can down the road for too much longer...  World Oil Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)  

The same "professional sources" that have lied to us about EVERYTHING certainly aren't telling us the truth about fossil fuels.  They also claim we have a "climate crises" that requires all individuals to give up freedoms, property rights, while the elite still continue to purchase ocean front homes.  The same "professional sources" have flip-flopped more times than one can count and remember in regards to global warming/climate change/death rate statistics and have manipulated data for quite possibly centuries.  All whilst ignoring the fact that we're actually headed for global cooling and a subsequent mini-ice age as sorts.

Keep drinking their kool-aide and you're bound to end up like the followers of Jim Jones.

Was waiting for TFL to do it, and they did.  Ike Gauntlet in the Rivian:

I like that they filmed the trip to the Ike to indicate range hit just to get to the test.  And boy, it took a hit.  Also.  EVs don't get power loss at elevation like ICE, so if this was even a loop test on fairly normal expressways instead of the Ike, the test should be repeatable at 900ft and 9000ft.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 10:47 AM, Dmax3 said:

According to these same sources we should have run out of oil by now.  Hasn't happened and isn't going to anytime soon.  I'll stick with my current gas powered truck over useless electric vehicles than can't do what most people need them to.

5 hours ago, LDM said:

According to these same sources we should have run out of oil by now.  Hasn't happened and isn't going to anytime soon.  I'll stick with my current gas powered truck over useless electric vehicles than can't do what most people need them to.

With the 11" of snow we got today there's no way any electric snow blower would have been able to run for 3 hours.  The stupid a-holes who do product reviews for the electric snow blowers try to spin having to stop work to recharge batteries as some sort of joyous occasion.  My arse it is!

Edited by BlaineBug

3 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I use battery powered weed eaters, hedge trimmer’s, leaf blower. Same brands, same batteries. I have several batteries and chargers. Shouldn’t be a problem adding a snowblower.

Same, I have never had any success with 2 or 4 stroke residential grade leaf blowers or weed wackers, and never wanted to pay commercial grade pricing!  I went electric on these.  The Harbor Freight weed wacker only uses a half battery but I had to buy 3 batteries for my Milwaukee leaf blower, and that's not for actually blowing leaves, that's just for grass clippings!  Residential only, no commercial work, just my home.  I do have to agree with you though considering that you live in Texas, you will certainly absolutely encounter little issue with a battery powered snow blower!

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

Same, I have never had any success with 2 or 4 stroke residential grade leaf blowers or weed wackers, and never wanted to pay commercial grade pricing!  I went electric on these.  The Harbor Freight weed wacker only uses a half battery but I had to buy 3 batteries for my Milwaukee leaf blower, and that's not for actually blowing leaves, that's just for grass clippings!  Residential only, no commercial work, just my home.  I do have to agree with you though considering that you live in Texas, you will certainly absolutely encounter little issue with a battery powered snow blower!

I spent 40 years listening to those screaming two stokes. I started using battery powered around the house 20 years ago. I do have a plug in blower for heavy work. When my latest riding mower wears out if battery power isn’t too expensive I may get one. I’ve seen battery power snow blowers, no need for one here.

4 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

With the 11" of snow we got today there's no way any electric snow blower would have been able to run for 3 hours.  The stupid a-holes who do product reviews for the electric snow blowers try to spin having to stop work to recharge batteries as some sort of joyous occasion.  My arse it is!

Agreed.  I spent an hour and half in the morning clearing my driveway and then another 45 minutes later in the day.  I've had this same snow blower for over 15 years and aside from putting gas in it and changing the oil, it starts first pull every time.  No battery is going to last 15 years, especially when some years I don't even have to use it because we don't really get any snow.  There are certain devices that work great with batteries, like my black and decker cordless drills, weed eater, and reciprocating saw.  But when it comes to something like a truck that actually gets used for towing and work, batteries are just about useless to power something like that.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:47 AM, Dmax3 said:

You talk like we've got an unlimited supply of oil, and we're doing this just because some people want change.  

We do have an unlimited supply.  Communists, Fellow Travelers and Useful Idiots are actively pushing this nonsense.  Any serious student of history can expose these farces.

• Thanks 1