Thinking about trading my 17 for a 20

The 6.2 with DFM and the 10 speed have been really good as compared to my 2016. The truck has nice lines and many tech features. The Quality coming out of the Fort Wayne and Mexico plants is not the best that it has been. I have owned many GM products and by far this truck has been to my dealer the most of any by far. TSBs, Recalls and some defective quality control have been the reasons for returning. My dealership has taken care of every problem in a fast and convenient way. But I do enjoy the truck very much. I would only get the 6.2 and 10 speed. I would forget the sliding glass window for now. The 2020s seem to be having some of the same problems as the 2019s. You should find a vehicle that you want, inspect it inside and out and note any quality issues, ensure all software and hardware recalls are completed, test drive the darn thing, ensure all PDIs have been completed, if all ok, buy it. The 2021 model year will probably see a interior change if you think the present interior is tiresome.

Well, I may be a bit biased but if I were you I would wait until you hear that GM has the brake issue and rear window leaks sorted before you dive into a new truck.  There's several threads about the issues and I can tell you that they are not very fun at all.  I'm paying for a truck I can't even use...  Just my two cents but I also know that I'm not alone.  I love the new Silverado's but some of the issues that are now cropping up are really a big deal...
ARE YA READY KIDS?!
Aye aye, captain!

I CAN'T HEAAAAR YOU!
Aye aye, captain!

OOOOOOOOOOOH
WHO DRIVES A 'RADO WITHOUT ANY BRA-KING

PY-RO-JO-DGE-UH!

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

In the same boat, have a 2017 Silverado 5.3 with 97,xxx miles (currently at dealer for warranty AFM lifter issues) and am thinking of moving to a 2020. But these crazy issues I constantly read here really make me want to hold off or go to a leftover 2500.

I have bought 6 new GM trucks in the last 20 years and its the first time I am not looking forward to a new truck.

At least the last generation 2500 would have a 6.0 with no DFM, no stop start, real cable emergency brake, a real transmission dipstick, you know, the stuff that worked fine as it was.

The penalty would be the mileage, but if you can have a reliable truck that can go 100k with no issues it may be worth it.

• Like 3

I bought a ‘19 Custom TB recently with ‘20s on the lot.

My truck does not rattle. It does not tick or knock ever.

The transmission is normally very smooth but there are certain situations it’s a little clunky. It’s better than the F150s I’ve owned and honestly these clunky trannies are really because they have to tow 10,000 lbs, or go to the grocery with 0lbs. They’re not perfect. They’re heavy duty for a very wide range of duties.

No check engine lights.

When the engine is cold, if I run less than 93 gas, is has a little bit of hesitation, but it’s the tune. It’s not a real problem. They tune it lean when cold for economy and the DI makes it worse. When I’m out of warranty I will tune it out maybe.

It feels really darn solid. No driveline shudder like with my Fords.

Overall it’s one of the best initial quality vehicles I’ve owned, and I’ve owned probably 25+ or so. Mostly Honda and Ford.

I recommend the truck. They’re the best option right now.

Oh, and this is my first GM ever. I’m no fanboy. I buy the best at the time and I think these GM trucks are the best.

• Like 2

If you’re out here looking for evidence to pin against a 2020, you’re going to find a lot of it. 

If you’re looking for evidence to talk you into a 2020, you’ll find a lot of that, too. 

Go drive one. I wanted a 2018 leftover until I sat in one, then sat in a 2019. It was a done deal the moment I got behind the wheel of the 2019. 

Does my 2019 have some small issues? Sure. Did my 2007? Yep. Overall, the 2019 is a way better truck in every way. 

• Like 3

I have a 2019 lt z71, drive train couldn't be any happier. But I believe these trucks are cheaply made on the inside, fit and finish isn't that great.

Now I have been experiencing some suspension noise, sounds like ball joint but still unable to pin point it. Been back and forth at the dealership for about 2 months. I would say this issue is an anomaly

Other than that just small quirks that are not a deal breaker:

1.Weird backup camera. Too bright at night very grainy and pixelated sometimes I wish I can turn it off.

2. Loose rear bumper - no biggie wasn't tighten properly at the factory

3. Covers over the seat belts opening are loose and make a buzzing noise. Fixed those with rubber bands

4. Wobbly ride could be there Z71 package or me used to the ride of my 13 F-150

Won't go wrong with a new gen '19........from my previous post..... one thing is certain, come 2021 a '19 Silverado LD (or '17) will look exactly like a 5 year old '16 Silverado but a new gen '19 Silverado will look like a brand new '21 Silverado.

Check the VIN for a leading "1", check the door sticker for post 3/19 production which has the RPO code MQE tranny prefilled with Mobil1 HP,  RPO code SU8 GM axle and you maximize getting a good one. Over 6K miles and no troubles or real complaints affecting ride or performance.........been to the dealer once for installation of a Nav and again for recall software updates........never for repair or replace.

Traded a cherry '16 for a near identically equipped '19 with black wheels and larger tires and glad I did.

• Like 1

Very pleased with my 19 AT4 6.2/10. Have had it for 7 months and 9700 miles. No rattles no leaks. Very happy. Have owned multiple trucks of each generation since 91 and this is up there with the best to me. Good luck. Just make sure to check out multiple vehicles on the lot. Just because they have the same build as each other does not mean they are all built equally. 

LOVE my 2020 AT4 with 6.2L and 10 Speed. Knock on wood, haven't had any of the issues you're reading in this thread. Remember though, forums like this is where people go to complain about things on these trucks..... doesn't mean they all have these issues.... there's always a bad lemon in a bunch

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2016 LTZ with the 5.3/6 speed and a 2019 LTZ with the 6.2/10 speed.  I bought the 2019 because I tow a travel trailer and the 5.3 just didn't have enough grunt when it came to pulling long hills.  Otherwise, I would have just made due with the 2016.  At 19k miles there's no real justification for a 2020 other than "I want one".  I'm keeping the 2016 and repositioning it at my Arizona winter house.  I have a much lighter travel trailer for my Jeep Wrangler there that it can tow with no problem.  It's a nice truck and I see no reason to get rid of it when I can repurpose it.  So I'd keep the 2017 for as long as it does what it needs to.