Thinking about trading my 17 for a 20

My experience coming from a 2016 to a 2019 

Pros 

Motor- Absolutely love the 6.2 liter motor.  like the extra hp and cannot notice fuel mileage difference from the 5.3 motor.

Transmission-  10 speed transmission  is way better than my HP tuned truck with 8-speed transmission.

Interior size-  I notice the interior cab size seem more spacious than previous model.

Fuel Management System- 2019 is way less noticeable than the 2016 model.  You barely notice the deactivation on new system.

Mirrors-  Better rear view vision from previous truck like the new location of them plus the blind spot is a plus also.

Bluetooth-  It seems to sync better than the old.  The old system would lose connection and have to re sync.

Wireless Phone Charging-  The new one seems to charge much faster than the old.

Transfer Case-  Most recent during the bad weather changed from 2wd to 4wd while on the traveling switched much better than before.

Tailgate-  Like the new multi pro tailgate. I like the remote down and how it functions.

So far with 9500 miles on the truck I have not experienced and mechanical failures or recalls for the following.

Rear window leak

Vibration or Shake

Electronic issues

Transmission problems

Just my .2 cents hope this helps

On 1/10/2020 at 6:03 AM, Thomcat said:

Won't go wrong with a new gen '19........from my previous post..... one thing is certain, come 2021 a '19 Silverado LD (or '17) will look exactly like a 5 year old '16 Silverado but a new gen '19 Silverado will look like a brand new '21 Silverado.

Check the VIN for a leading "1", check the door sticker for post 3/19 production which has the RPO code MQE tranny prefilled with Mobil1 HP,  RPO code SU8 GM axle and you maximize getting a good one. Over 6K miles and no troubles or real complaints affecting ride or performance.........been to the dealer once for installation of a Nav and again for recall software updates........never for repair or replace.

Traded a cherry '16 for a near identically equipped '19 with black wheels and larger tires and glad I did.

very good point and I also thought about 19 old gen truck looking really dated in year or so and knowing the 19 will still be current in a few years....mine was a 5/19 build and been solid so far...little clunky when cold but smooth and tight still, 7k miles and have no issues.....the brakes are one of things I like best about it, very strong.....coming from 05 Toyota anything is better tho…...cant forget that these forums are very small % of owners....

I purposely waited to buy a 19 last summer....1 because I knew I could get a better price and 2 being a new model figured a later build would be better if any issues arose from it being a new model (no secret lot new models have issues)….so far both scenarios have panned out as good deciscision, but truck is still pretty new so well see

I am in the same boat. 17 GMC Sierra with 8 speed tranny. Have just under 26k miles. Bought it used with just under 14k mikes July 18. Looking at a 2020 6.2 SLT List $62490 priced at just under 48k plus ttl. My only thing is 6.2 vs 5.3 gas consumption and using premium fuel. Don’t pull so is 6.2 overkill?

9 hours ago, J_Miester3 said:

I am in the same boat. 17 GMC Sierra with 8 speed tranny. Have just under 26k miles. Bought it used with just under 14k mikes July 18. Looking at a 2020 6.2 SLT List $62490 priced at just under 48k plus ttl. My only thing is 6.2 vs 5.3 gas consumption and using premium fuel. Don’t pull so is 6.2 overkill?

Yes, the 6.2 is overkill if your truck is just a daily driver.  I have a travel trailer.  That was my rationalization for getting a 6.2 with the Max Trailering package.

I only use mine for a daily driver at the moment and have the 5.3. If I could do it all over again I would hands down get the 6.2. That being said, it adds a bit of cost because you have to get 4 wheel drive to get the 6.2. If you were already going to get a 4x4 then it only adds $2495 but in my case I got a 2wd, so the jump to a 6.2 and 4x4 would have been a little over $5k difference for me. IMO the 6.2 and 10 speed is well worth the difference and I will probably swap mine out in a year or two for that combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

I'd say wait until 2021 MYs hit the lots because of the mid-cycle refresh. 

After GM released the 2021 Realtree Silverado the other day, it’s safe to bet we’re not going to see much of a refresh on the 2021’s. 

2022 looks like the next refresh. Probably with more of the new SUV interior options. 

16 minutes ago, econometrics said:

After GM released the 2021 Realtree Silverado the other day, it’s safe to bet we’re not going to see much of a refresh on the 2021’s. 

2022 looks like the next refresh. Probably with more of the new SUV interior options. 

Also I think the 2022 model year is when we are supposed to see an electric Silverado, so a refresh at that point would make sense. 

Along with that we are supposed to see independent rear suspension, but maybe that comes sooner. 

10 hours ago, J_Miester3 said:

Absolutely not... yes you have to put premium in it for the 6.2 but in my opinion this engine is a beast and worth any added $ for the premium. My 6.2 AT4 is the best truck I’ve ever owned. I’m getting about 15 MPG so far but only have 3,000 miles on it.

Buying a $60K truck and worried about economy of 5.3 vs 6.2? Are you sure this is right for you? Maybe do what I did and buy a Custom TB with a 6.2 and don’t worry about it.
  • Like 1

Went from a 17 5.3 8 speed to a 19 6.2 and 10 speed. Truck had 9009 miles on it and no issues. I loved the 17 and honestly I just wanted the 6.2. I think it tows better and and drives better never looking for a gear. Quality is not an issue on either truck for me. I also looked it over from every aspect before I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk