Thinking about trading my 17 for a 20

I have a 17 LTZ with 19k on the odometer. It has been a good truck. I don’t have the “chevyshake”, but the 6 speed tranny shifts a little hard, especially if it downshifts on the interstate when I aggressively speed up. It’s a big clunk and feels like it’s going to throw you out the front window. 

I want a Trail boss with the 6.2. Crew cab and leather is really all I care about. I have the fold up front console now, would like to have the same set up again.

A few questions I have if any of you have the time.

Overall how are you enjoying the 19-20. Any major concerning issues?

If any of you had a 14-18 how do they compare?

I have been trying to research this, but does the 6.2 have AFM?

How’s the 10 speed transmission?

Anyone know if the Trail Boss can be equipped with leather and the bench seat with foldable console?

Appreciate any information anyone can pass along. Thanks.

Edited by CamaroVetteGuy

I just traded my 14 Sierra for a 19 Denali and wish I had kept the 14. Overall build quality seemed better. The 8 speed tranny in my truck is subpar and there are so many interior rattles for a truck with 500 miles on it it’s laughable. I might be the minority on this one though.

That being said, the 6.2 and 10 speed is a great combo and i think you’ll be happy with it no doubt. I am actually thinking about trading mine in for a Trail Boss or AT4.

I think when you get leather it automatically adds the bucket seats and console but not positive. From what I’ve seen you can get the cloth and have the dealer install leather for about $1000. So you can get the bench and have them add it after the fact.

Good luck in your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I may be a bit biased but if I were you I would wait until you hear that GM has the brake issue and rear window leaks sorted before you dive into a new truck.  There's several threads about the issues and I can tell you that they are not very fun at all.  I'm paying for a truck I can't even use...  Just my two cents but I also know that I'm not alone.  I love the new Silverado's but some of the issues that are now cropping up are really a big deal...

• Like 3

My 19 6.2 / 10 speed drives a million times better than my 16 5.3 / 6 speed, in every way. They have DFM which is the updated version of the AFM you have in your 17. It is much less intrusive and less noticeable. Dynamically, the truck is just about perfect and the powertrain is the best around...the main thing that sold me coming from the clunky 6 speed.

Exterior wise, I love it. Substantially bigger and more agressive looking. 

The overall style and functionality of the interior is fine, and improved from the K2, but not by a huge margin. And I agree with @hotrodz37, build quality could be way better. It’s a rattle trap, and some pieces don’t seem to fit together very well at all. 

If it weren’t for so many people having rear window leaks (and the horrible repair solution GM applies), I would recommend these trucks in a heartbeat. But right now I’d wait on the sideline a little bit.

3 hours ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

I don’t have the “chevyshake”, but the 6 speed tranny shifts a little hard, especially if it downshifts on the interstate when I aggressively speed up. It’s a big clunk and feels like it’s going to throw you out the front window. 

It's a truck, it's supposed to ride like a truck,  that's what makes them fun.

Are you able to easily duplicate that shifting clunk?  If so, I'd suggest taking a GM Tech/tranny expert with you on a quick drive to show them.  Assuming it is still all under warranty. 

check all  the carpets and behind rear seat for signs of mosture before buying. my 2020 denali is leaking front and rear, big rain all carpets soaked front and rear, at dealer for a few days, rear window resealed no word yet on front leaks

Edited by DaveHC

Had lots of minor issues in my 19 Trail boss, expected for first MY but still inconvenient to be without a truck for days on end. So far I’ve had issues with rattles and a cracked taillight that dealer won’t fix (which I suspect came from

fixing the paint defect - see below). Paint defect (driver side door had to be repainted and blended in), non functioning rear door lock button didn’t work they did fix under warranty. Going back this week because the rear window leaks also on mine. Also have some weird whirring/whining noises coming from the front when driving but haven’t mentioned it yet. All these relatively minor issues wouldn’t be such a problem if it wasn’t for the shitty Chevy Dealer experience. Coming from Audi’s where you are treated like a human being, free loaners, etc It’s night/day difference... I likely wouldn’t buy another GM product but if you’re set on it I would wait another MY or two for them to work out their stuff.

edit: oh and completely forgot, during the (hot) summer I had an issue where there would be an unbearable stench in the car for first 10min after startup - which dealer said is “normal” and advised to turn AC off 5 mins before shutting off the car (like really are you kidding me, never had smelly AC, even not on my 72 suburban, ever) 

Edited by tinbad
  • Like 1