Because if you have a hitch in the receiver and you drop the gate with the inner gate down, it will hit and damage the inner gate.

• 10 months later...

Not sure if anyone has had this issue since the thread started in 2020.  I have this EXACT issue on my 2020 Denali.  Upper tailgate works, lower works with remote and button on the center console, but the button on the tailgate doesn't.  I replaced the button and still nothing.  I believe my truck thinks the upper gate is open which wont allow the lower to operate but I have no way of confirming.  

****UPDATE:  I had a broken wire above my spare tire, no idea how it happened but it all works now.

Edited by 603Denali
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 8:29 AM, 603Denali said:

Not sure if anyone has had this issue since the thread started in 2020.  I have this EXACT issue on my 2020 Denali.  Upper tailgate works, lower works with remote and button on the center console, but the button on the tailgate doesn't.  I replaced the button and still nothing.  I believe my truck thinks the upper gate is open which wont allow the lower to operate but I have no way of confirming.  

This is certainly not what we like to hear, 603Denali.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: 603Denali/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

There is a design in the tailgate to not have one door open if the other door (can't remember which) is already open so that, as someone mentioned, it does not get damaged by a hitch. I don't have my new truck with me today or I'd confirm but I think you press the button and hold for 5 seconds (the taillights will flash twice) to turn this feature on or off.

You can't drop the main gate if the inner gate is open. This is by design so it doesn't hit a hitch if you have one in place. The button press lock supposedly only works on refresh 22 trucks. Someone said they had a 23 and tried this and it doesn't work and the dealer knew nothing of it being a feature.

My '22 is a refresh. The 5 second push and hold definitely turns this feature on and off (for me). Not sure about the '23.

My dealer has limited knowledge on these things as well. I got my info from GM Customer Service.