3 hours ago, newdude said:

Lots of constraints for 2021 production at least to start off the first few months.  GM is doing a "focused order" system on them to get popular option trucks on the ground.  CGN spray on liner is a constrainted item as well so your dealer is correct in telling you such.  

2021 model year is going to make some weird optioned trucks for a bit.  

Yep, that's the way my dealer explained as well - numerous options constrained for some trims and configurations. Guess that means some possibility of the Multipro and spray-in coming available again for DCs at some point? I don't know how long such constraints tend to last, do you?

At any rate, I really wanted truck now, and I was somewhat flexible (DC diesel w/ X31 in Cayenne were my must haves), so for the moment, pretty happy if my truck shows up as expected, albeit without the Multipro and spray-in. I will be one of the quirky 21s, i guess. ?

1 hour ago, James Euler said:

Yep, that's the way my dealer explained as well - numerous options constrained for some trims and configurations. Guess that means some possibility of the Multipro and spray-in coming available again for DCs at some point? I don't know how long such constraints tend to last, do you?

At any rate, I really wanted truck now, and I was somewhat flexible (DC diesel w/ X31 in Cayenne were my must haves), so for the moment, pretty happy if my truck shows up as expected, albeit without the Multipro and spray-in. I will be one of the quirky 21s, i guess. ?

On average its 6-8 weeks but can go more or less.  

On 10/24/2020 at 10:28 PM, James Euler said:

I jumped in last month and placed an order for a 21 Double Cab, motivated to move now because it seemed the choices for Double Cab trims and options were getting fewer every day.

I picked an SLE, the only other available trim besides the Elevation if I wanted a Double Cab, and loaded it up, including Multipro Tailgate and spray-in bed liner.

Dealer called me yesterday and told me order was "not accepted" by GM. Seems they've got too many trucks to build, and not enough parts and supplier support. So they are *not* offering the Multipro or the spray-in bed liner on Double Cabs. They are saving those options for the Crew Cab upper trim levels.

I realize the bed liner is no big deal - i can get that added from a dozen different sources. The Multipro, I'm just out of luck. But what I am really surprised at is that the Double Cab is so apparently unpopular.

So who loves the Double Cab? To my eye, it is easily the best looking config - all the proportions are spot on. And you can get a full-size bed! And what I really like is that it is an individual setup, kinda like a two-door sports car: you get a Double Cab when it's a truck just for you and your gear (and sometimes your plus one). And isn't that really what the pickup truck is all about? The iconic lone cowboy? A man and his truck (and maybe a dog)? I've always thought that, but that is apparently the minority opinion.

Enlighten me.

`19 DC SLT here, you're preaching to the choir brother. Been trying to educate the masses around here for a while now but the sad truth is, most people are uninformed. Plenty of people who never give it a second thought, don't really even know they have the option. Seems like GM is ready to totally do away with DC's entirely for this very reason. The simple truth is trucks are far too fashionably popular nowadays and the average consumer isn't worried about a foot and a half here or a foot and a half there, they simply want the status symbol. Nothing more utilitarian being built these days vehicle wise than a 4wd half ton DC with a removable camper shell. Literally the best of all worlds.

If you don't have 4 grown adults in your vehicle a majority of the time, there is zero rationale for not owning a double cab. 

If you don't have 4 grown adults in your vehicle a majority of the time, there is zero rationale for not owning a double cab. 

I used to agree with you but, then I had a baby and those rear facing car seats don’t fit in a double cab unless your passenger wants to ride with their knees on the dash! To me 6 ft beds are almost as useless as 5 ft beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

`19 DC SLT here, you're preaching to the choir brother. Been trying to educate the masses around here for a while now but the sad truth is, most people are uninformed. Plenty of people who never give it a second thought, don't really even know they have the option. Seems like GM is ready to totally do away with DC's entirely for this very reason. The simple truth is trucks are far too fashionably popular nowadays and the average consumer isn't worried about a foot and a half here or a foot and a half there, they simply want the status symbol. Nothing more utilitarian being built these days vehicle wise than a 4wd half ton DC with a removable camper shell. Literally the best of all worlds.

Well said.

3 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

I used to agree with you but, then I had a baby and those rear facing car seats don’t fit in a double cab unless your passenger wants to ride with their knees on the dash! To me 6 ft beds are almost as useless as 5 ft beds.

Those baby seats are a whole 'nother thing, for sure. That's when I gave up my beloved Silverado DC, some twenty years ago. But I'm soon to cure that loss.

Two important things that fit nicely in a 6 (and a half!) foot bed, but not in a 5 foot bed: me, lying down, and any of my bicycles, standing up. And there's scads of stuff that fits much better: stack of 8' studs, sheet goods (you've got a solid 8 feet with the tailgate down), more boxes of anything (tile, flooring, etc).

But that's my world. I'm sure you're digging your Z71 CC.

1 hour ago, James Euler said:

Those baby seats are a whole 'nother thing, for sure. That's when I gave up my beloved Silverado DC, some twenty years ago. But I'm soon to cure that loss.

Two important things that fit nicely in a 6 (and a half!) foot bed, but not in a 5 foot bed: me, lying down, and any of my bicycles, standing up. And there's scads of stuff that fits much better: stack of 8' studs, sheet goods (you've got a solid 8 feet with the tailgate down), more boxes of anything (tile, flooring, etc).

I'm with you on the 6 ft bed being a little more practical for building materials and other stuff but, still need to tie stuff down dependent on weather etc since you gotta leave the tailgate down. IF I had a bigger garage, I would have got a crew cab with a 6' bed but, I hate parking my rig outside!

Edited by Imcrazy

2 hours ago, James Euler said:

You can always get a CC with the standard bed. Best of both worlds. ??‍♂️

7 hours ago, spizike9 said:

You can always get a CC with the standard bed. Best of both worlds. ??‍♂️

Agree! I’d get a crew cab with an 8ft bed if possible. I use every bit of room in my truck. My back seats are folded up holding misc small gear in the wedge, the floor in the rear seat area is stacked with tools. And almost every bit of my 6.5ft bed is full of tools. 
The longer wheelbase also quite noticeably helps with stability on the highway. 
Shorter trucks definitely help with maneuverability, especially with a trailer. A long truck like mine needs plenty of room to turn a trailer around. I’ve seen a lot of guys who do service or sales of RVs or commercial trailers use regular cab short bed trucks or no bed, just hitch plate over the shortest wheelbase possible in order to help maneuver trailers.

Looking at dealer lots, it does seem like GM and other manufacturers are trying to push consumers into either Double Cab/STD bed or Crew Cab/short bed.

18 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Had a car seat in mine plenty of times. Seems pretty easy to buy a different type of seat. 

And the difference between a standard/regular box and a short box is the difference in fitting surfboards, fishing poles, dirt bikes, motorcycles, and most importantly yourself, in the back of your truck. Now if you simply use your truck as a mall crawler and grocery getter no doubt, the extra space in the cab is going to be more beneficial, but for everyone else, that 16" of space is the difference between having too short a bed and something that is basically a custom fit. 

And that is not even touching on the proportions of the truck and how a short box looks goofy AF and how a standard/regular box was the reason that trucks became so popular in the first place. But ill leave that one alone as the natives on here get a little butthurt when you go down that road. 

The simple truth is, if you are driving a CCSB you would be infinitely better off with a full size SUV and you are a poser only driving a truck for the "status." But again, I digress. 

Edited by superhighsierra

4 hours ago, Sqrls said:

Agree! I’d get a crew cab with an 8ft bed if possible. I use every bit of room in my truck. My back seats are folded up holding misc small gear in the wedge, the floor in the rear seat area is stacked with tools. And almost every bit of my 6.5ft bed is full of tools. 
The longer wheelbase also quite noticeably helps with stability on the highway. 
Shorter trucks definitely help with maneuverability, especially with a trailer. A long truck like mine needs plenty of room to turn a trailer around. I’ve seen a lot of guys who do service or sales of RVs or commercial trailers use regular cab short bed trucks or no bed, just hitch plate over the shortest wheelbase possible in order to help maneuver trailers.

Looking at dealer lots, it does seem like GM and other manufacturers are trying to push consumers into either Double Cab/STD bed or Crew Cab/short bed.

It's possible, but you'll need to get a 25/3500 you can get a crew with an 8' bed. 

GM currently does not build a reg cab with a 6.5ft box (at least not for US/Can)

Crew-short was designed to fit in the same space as the ext cab 6.5ft box. 

When the crew-short was introduced, it was exactly the same wheelbase as the ext-cab std bed.

Many garages can fit a crew-short, but not a crew-std.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lt1z said:

I love my DC AT4. Prob wouldn’t have found one on a lot though. I ordered it optioned with what I wanted.

I was really wanting that setup, but was too slow off the mark. Now (2021), they don’t even offer DC AT4. I’m kinda jealous.

5 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

The simple truth is, if you are driving a CCSB you would be infinitely better off with a full size SUV and you are a poser only driving a truck for the "status." But again, I digress. 

If that full size SUV could do what I need it to for farm work I would probably have one.  Until that happens, I along with the other farmers around here will take our “poser” trucks and go haul a ton of feed in our useless 5’8” box with the tailgate closed and room to spare for all of the other junk that has already been thrown in.

226C2400-4811-4918-9620-E16E9668BFBF.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JReiser said:

If that full size SUV could do what I need it to for farm work I would probably have one.  Until that happens, I along with the other farmers around here will take our “poser” trucks and go haul a ton of feed in our useless 5’8” box with the tailgate closed and room to spare for all of the other junk that has already been thrown in.

226C2400-4811-4918-9620-E16E9668BFBF.jpeg

Congrats on being the one guy who actually uses his CCSB as a truck on here.  

• Like 1