Ok. So today after lunch, a few co-workers wanted me to demo the multi-pro tailgate to them. I figured why not, as it's not the first time I have been asked to do this and it certainly won't be the last.

Anyways, we get to my truck i press the top button and the inner gate opens; cool. I close the inner gate and proceed to press the down button. Nothing happens, no click sound. Hmm... I try a few times and nothing. So i try the inner gate again and it opens fine. I couldn't get the lower gate opened for the life of me no matter how many times i tried pressing the button. There was no clicking sound, nothing. Out of embarrassment, i tell them oh well, it's a first generation system, they haven't ironed out all the kinks. Today after work, i try it again just by myself and of course it opened without issue. 

This got me thinking. What if i actually had to put something in the bed or take something out of the bed and the lower gate wouldn't open. That would be a real wtf moment for me. Anyone run into this? Is there a mechanical open for when the electric open is not working or any general workaround? 

By design, the main tailgate is not supposed to release/open if the inner gate is already open. Sounds like that wasn’t your issue, but you may want to double check the order of operations. If you want both gates open, you have to open the main gate first, then the inner gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first looked at my truck, that happened to me in front of the salesman. I should have ran right then and there. But it ended up being a faulty latch on the top gate. It might seem closed but the computer will sense that it’s not and won’t allow the main gate to open.

I had this happen to me in the first few weeks of owning it and during cold weather.   I ended up having to slam the inner gate a little harder and then everything worked.  I then proceeded to open and close the inner gate several times to try and maybe free the new latches up a bit. It seemed to help kinda happened once more.  So then I sprayed all latches with graphite lube and it hasn't failed me since. Even in freezing temps works every time. 

16 hours ago, bamorris2 said:

By design, the main tailgate is not supposed to release/open if the inner gate is already open. Sounds like that wasn’t your issue, but you may want to double check the order of operations. If you want both gates open, you have to open the main gate first, then the inner gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I closed the inner gate before trying to open the lower gate but you might be on to something. When i got back into the truck, there was a warning that said "inner gate was open" even though i had already slammed it shut. Had to get out, open it and re-close it. Maybe the detection switch was stuck or sth. Granted, i don't use the bed a lot but would prefer it to be operational when i need it. 

4 hours ago, Dougie86 said:

I had this happen to me in the first few weeks of owning it and during cold weather.   I ended up having to slam the inner gate a little harder and then everything worked.  I then proceeded to open and close the inner gate several times to try and maybe free the new latches up a bit. It seemed to help kinda happened once more.  So then I sprayed all latches with graphite lube and it hasn't failed me since. Even in freezing temps works every time. 

7 hours ago, Vasa1 said:

When I first looked at my truck, that happened to me in front of the salesman. I should have ran right then and there. But it ended up being a faulty latch on the top gate. It might seem closed but the computer will sense that it’s not and won’t allow the main gate to open.

Thanks. This seems to be the overall theme i'm getting, that the inner gate latch is acting up which is preventing the lower gate from opening. I have owned the truck for a little under a year but I don't use the bed a lot which is maybe why this happened. I'll try the graphite lube. 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:19 PM, truck_newbie said:

I closed the inner gate before trying to open the lower gate but you might be on to something. When i got back into the truck, there was a warning that said "inner gate was open" even though i had already slammed it shut. Had to get out, open it and re-close it. Maybe the detection switch was stuck or sth. Granted, i don't use the bed a lot but would prefer it to be operational when i need it. 

Sounds like either the latch or the sensor is out of adjustment.

• 1 year later...

i have the multi pro tailgate now......my question is when you press the top button it just releases the top gate (have to pull it down by hand) but doesnt drop it down like main gate correct?.....if the main gate is down then it will release the top gate all way down (gravity).....but for just the top gate its not suppose to release all way down correct?......it does seem tight and its brand new so but wasnt sure.....

by the way i love this tailgate.....it has alot of versatility for construction.....my only gripe is when you use the top gate down and use step like a bed extender its not quite 8ft.....its a hair under......they could have made that so on std bed when you use the top portion and step as a stop for material to equal 8ft.... or 8'1' so you can haul 2x4, drywall, or plywood......today i had to return 1 sheet of drywall and it was like an 1inch short.....

the Ram gate is useless for construction.....GMC if they would lower the seam 2" to give you a much better platform when you lower the top portion only and also be able to haul 8ft material using the top gate and step as a backstop to make material runs

• 3 months later...

I'm heading to the dealer for this issue this morning. My inner gate opens with the button on the gate but the lower doesn't. My gate however will drop when I use my keyfob though. I'm thinking the button is faulty on mine but we'll see.

**Update**

Dealer ordered a new button assembly. 

Edited by 20Denali21

Haven't had any issues with the gate on my 2019. A friend had a 2020 Sierra and had issues with his gate coming down while driving. Did it a few times and did some damage when it hit the trailer jack he was towing. Dealer couldn't duplicate. He had some other problems with the infotainment system. He now drives a 2021 Ram.

• 11 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 11:55 PM, bamorris2 said:

By design?  By design that design seems flawed to me.  Case and point.  I loaded my quad in.  I couldn't quite close the main tailgate because the muffler on the back.  So I tried closing it with the inner down.  It closed perfectly.  But then I couldn't open the main gate anymore.  And since I couldn't close the innergate, I was stuck.  Why would it matter if the innergate is open?  And why isn't their an override.  The gates let me do something I clearly would have had a major problem trying to solve.

Without airlifting the quad out.  I had to get a bottle jack under the quad to slide the quad forward enough so I could close the innergate and then open the main gate.

Edited by looknow12