The Biggest MultiPro Tailgate Questions Answered

Zane

2019_MultiProTailgate_2.jpg

Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
3/5/2018

With the debut of GMC's all new and very fancy MultiPro Tailgate last week in Detroit questions have been floated regarding various aspects of the design and how available the tailgate will truly be. So, we reached out to GMC directly and have some answers for you. 

Here we are in no particular order:

Will the MultiPro be available on any trim level other than SLT and Denali?
YES. Although only the SLT and Denali trim levels were mentioned last week, we can confirm the MultiPro tailgate will be available on the SLE trim level as well. 

Can I open the MultiPro with the keyfob?
YES. Just the tailgate as a whole, however. There's no option to open the inner section unless you do it with the button on the gate. 

Will the MultiPro prevent itself from opening into mounted ball hitch?
NO. This is the biggest issue we can see with the MultiPro going forward. The inner gate is fully susceptible to damage from a mounted trailer hitch. GMC does mention that a warning sticker will be present to remind owners not to do just this. Owners will have to remember going forward that if they leave a ball hitch mounted, the MultiPro WILL HIT IT. 

Will GMC offer a manual (cheaper) version of the MultiPro later on?
UNDETERMINED. GMC wouldn't answer our questions about a cheaper, manual version of the MultiPro in the future. We think it would be a great idea and GMC punting the question means the option is in play for the future. 

Will Chevrolet ever get the MultiPro?
LIKELY. Although no-one from Chevy is talking, we expect the Silverado to get the MultiPro (or a Chevy-named version) at some point in the near future, perhaps in model year two (2020)

2019_MultiProTailgate_1.jpg

• Like 1

This is one stupid feature. Come on...a tailgate feature that can't be used while a hitch is in the truck? I predict quite a bit of tailgate bodyshopwork. Someone will make some sort of adhesive guard or something. It looks ridiculous too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Why can’t it auto close like the standard gate? I bet they will add that feature during mid cycle refresh. Plus you really have to bend over to close the step when fully deployed. 

It needs power assist! (that you could override manually of course. Like a power hatch on Tahoe & Suburban)

Coming in 2022....

Edited by 2009GMC

""

Will the MultiPro prevent itself from opening into mounted ball hitch?
NO. This is the biggest issue we can see with the MultiPro going forward. The inner gate is fully susceptible to damage from a mounted trailer hitch. GMC does mention that a warning sticker will be present to remind owners not to do just this. Owners will have to remember going forward that if they leave a ball hitch mounted, the MultiPro WILL HIT IT. 

""

How freakin' STOOPID!  For all the engineering that went into the tailgate, it seems no one was thinking about what it was actually going to be attached to. I keep my ball hitch mounted all the time as I tow a trailer a few times a week. I can't believe there isn't some type of failsafe for this. While I myself could probably remember to not open the tailgate with the ball installed, I'm sure my wife or kids would not. 

There will be MANY of these fancy tailgates with ball dents in them.  They should just manufacture the dent into them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Probably because the people this tailgate is aimed at won't be the type doing any towing or even own a hitch, hence why it comes on the Denali...

Will be funny to see the first few threads about damage, was funny reading the Platinum guys who damaged their tailgates by opening them accidentally and the garage door or something else damaging it as it fell.

Auto locking tailgates should be it, it doesn't need power opening/closing, just another situation where it can be messed up or mess something up. Hit the wrong button like the release when backed in to a spot with another truck or something close behind (or wall or building) and bam...

Tyler

• Like 1

So another feature that can't be used with a hitch on the truck?  Just like the backup alert (whatever it's called) on my dually that beeps at me because I have a hitch, who would have thought that someone who owns a truck would have a hitch on it?  Certainly not the people that design these things lol.  I wonder if this nonsense will be carried over to the HDs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vmaxer said:

Can you get the SLT without this tailgate?

It sounded like it might be an option on SLT, standard on Denali. Also an option on SLE. 

Years ago I would have thought this was a gimmick like the Ford step system introduced years ago.  I now have a Rubbermaid two-step product ready for use just inside my tailgate!  If this new feature can't be used with a hitch attached, so what?  I'm surprised people don't call GM "STOOPID" for trailers blocking the back-up camera's view.  

• Haha 1

Generally I don't leave the hitch in. Put it in when I need it and take it out when I'm done. If you have ever hit your shins on one, you'll get that habit in a hurry.

• Haha 1

Personally it would be a deal breaker for me if it was a standard feature. I would not buy the truck. I agree with 2speed it's STOOPID. Replacing that tailgate if you need to will cost a bundle. 

• Like 1