I jumped in last month and placed an order for a 21 Double Cab, motivated to move now because it seemed the choices for Double Cab trims and options were getting fewer every day.

I picked an SLE, the only other available trim besides the Elevation if I wanted a Double Cab, and loaded it up, including Multipro Tailgate and spray-in bed liner.

Dealer called me yesterday and told me order was "not accepted" by GM. Seems they've got too many trucks to build, and not enough parts and supplier support. So they are *not* offering the Multipro or the spray-in bed liner on Double Cabs. They are saving those options for the Crew Cab upper trim levels.

I realize the bed liner is no big deal - i can get that added from a dozen different sources. The Multipro, I'm just out of luck. But what I am really surprised at is that the Double Cab is so apparently unpopular.

So who loves the Double Cab? To my eye, it is easily the best looking config - all the proportions are spot on. And you can get a full-size bed! And what I really like is that it is an individual setup, kinda like a two-door sports car: you get a Double Cab when it's a truck just for you and your gear (and sometimes your plus one). And isn't that really what the pickup truck is all about? The iconic lone cowboy? A man and his truck (and maybe a dog)? I've always thought that, but that is apparently the minority opinion.

Enlighten me.

• Like 1

I jumped in last month and placed an order for a 21 Double Cab, motivated to move now because it seemed the choices for Double Cab trims and options were getting fewer every day.

I picked an SLE, the only other available trim besides the Elevation if I wanted a Double Cab, and loaded it up, including Multipro Tailgate and spray-in bed liner.

Dealer called me yesterday and told me order was "not accepted" by GM. Seems they've got too many trucks to build, and not enough parts and supplier support. So they are *not* offering the Multipro or the spray-in bed liner on Double Cabs. They are saving those options for the Crew Cab upper trim levels.

I realize the bed liner is no big deal - i can get that added from a dozen different sources. The Multipro, I'm just out of luck. But what I am really surprised at is that the Double Cab is so apparently unpopular.

So who loves the Double Cab? To my eye, it is easily the best looking config - all the proportions are spot on. And you can get a full-size bed! And what I really like is that it is an individual setup, kinda like a two-door sports car: you get a Double Cab when it's a truck just for you and your gear (and sometimes your plus one). And isn't that really what the pickup truck is all about? The iconic lone cowboy? A man and his truck (and maybe a dog)? I've always thought that, but that is apparently the minority opinion.

Enlighten me.

I was and am a fan of the extended cab. With the exception of my 14 GMC and an Avalanche that’s all I bought. I needed a little more than a reg cab. They just looked better. Silly me never thought of a pickup as a family vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the double cab. It is just me, the wife, and the dog and usually just me and the dog. Even when we have had someone else with us there is enough room. I would say it's not something I'd want to road trip with 4 tallish people in, but I think there is plenty of room, it is much more comfortable than my 2018 chevy colorado crew cab.

-Dave
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation PBM

I loved my 09 DC. It still had the suicide style rear doors. You could get anything in the back seat/floor of that truck it seemed like. I traded it for a 14 DC with regular rear doors. 1st time I tried putting a large (clothes basket) item in the back seat I was regretting that purchase. When Jr came along a few years later. I traded up to a crew cab 16. Much better room than a DC for his car seat and front passenger space.

For 2021 model:

Base sierra is the only trim that doesn't have MultiPro either standard or available.  (optional on SLE/Elevation, std on SLT/AT4/Denali)

Spray-in is available or standard on all trims.

12 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Didn't we get enough of this cab size fighting earlier in the year? 

Honestly did not mean to start that debate up.

Main point of my post was that GM was eliminating trims and options available for the double cab, in favor of the the Crew. That surprises and disappoints me, but it's obviously market driven. I concede the greater popularity of the Crew; just sad I can't get all the goodies on a DC. Peace.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redwngr said:

For 2021 model:

Base sierra is the only trim that doesn't have MultiPro either standard or available.  (optional on SLE/Elevation, std on SLT/AT4/Denali)

Spray-in is available or standard on all trims.

Point of my post is that, according to my dealer, MultiPro and spray-in are *not* currently available on the DC. I know that the Configurator lets you build a DC that way, but for now, that's not reality. And that makes me a little sad.

7 hours ago, James Euler said:

Honestly did not mean to start that debate up.

Main point of my post was that GM was eliminating trims and options available for the double cab, in favor of the the Crew. That surprises and disappoints me, but it's obviously market driven. I concede the greater popularity of the Crew; just sad I can't get all the goodies on a DC. Peace.

Yeah, I understand and agree. GM doesn't seem to like to give people options. You have to buy the truck the way they want it configured, not the way you do.

It seems that the price difference between double cabs and crew cabs is getting less and less all the time. I’d never buy a double cab again, any bed shorter than 8ft is a pain to transport sheet goods with so might as well have the bigger cab. I also have a kid and a dog so it’s good to have the cab space. With that said if no kids or dogs and I could save $1000 I’d still consider a DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of constraints for 2021 production at least to start off the first few months.  GM is doing a "focused order" system on them to get popular option trucks on the ground.  CGN spray on liner is a constrainted item as well so your dealer is correct in telling you such.  

2021 model year is going to make some weird optioned trucks for a bit.