Does anyone have actual information on gas mileage differences when driving a 2020 RST with  a 6.2L with the max towing package and without?

The dealer says a couple of miles per gallon difference. 

Live in Colorado and tow a 6000 pound loaded camper up to Eisenhower tunnel. 

Debating if I need the package or not.

A couple MPG to go from 3.23s to 3.42s? No, I don’t think so. 

This was my best long trip, at or around 80mph for most of it. If you can keep it at 70 instead, 22 MPG is doable.

CB93CA0E-412D-4E70-AB7C-3482F131C9B5.thumb.jpeg.4ecbc5bed0c0066ef2d91138a5abb691.jpeg

I would definitely recommend the max trailering package, but for less obvious reasons. To me, it rides the best out of the 3 suspension packages you can get on that truck. Much less bouncy and more planted than the Z71, and a little firmer and sportier than the base level suspension. The other two suspensions also squat quite a bit more when towing.

To me it would be a no brainer in your situation, especially towing at elevation. Fuel economy difference is negligible at best, and if that’s the main concern, get the Duramax instead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DuRsT said:

I wanted this package but no one around me had a truck so equipped.  

I would have to assume it isn't just a shock change, it has different leaf springs as well, correct? 

Yes, the leaf springs are a different part number, in addition to different shocks and the rest of the goodies.

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Yes, the leaf springs are a different part number, in addition to different shocks and the rest of the goodies.

Are the axels stronger too or are they the same?

What are all the differences of the max tow?

gearing

mirrors

leafs

shocks

are the things I know are different but im

sure there are others as well. 

16 minutes ago, spizike9 said:

Are the axels stronger too or are they the same?

What are all the differences of the max tow?

gearing

mirrors

leafs

shocks

are the things I know are different but im

sure there are others as well. 

All of the 6.2 trucks have the 9.76” rear end, but the 5.3 trucks with the max trailering package do get the 9.76” locking rear diff over the standard 9.5”. Also includes:

-220 amp alternator

-”enhanced cooling”...a part of which comes from vents cut into the lower bumper valence (circled in pic below, 2.7T trucks also get this for the intercooler)...

3607CD2C-35BA-4A6A-B494-0CAD166F7586.thumb.jpeg.aeeffd99aba858d28f6875150c75e1df.jpeg

-Trailer brake controller (often comes in other packages too though).

Trailering mirrors are a separate option and not part of the package. Weren’t even available last year when I bought mine, of course.

• Like 1

Previous gen trucks Max Tow was the only way to get the tow mirrors, which has caused some confusion with this generation -- especially as they were not available at all on 2019 1500. 

If I was going to regularly run the Eisenhower pulling a 6000lb camper I'm pretty sure I'd opt for the NHT or the 3.0L which has an exhaust brake.

And trailer mirrors. 

TFL guys have a 'gaunlet' video running a similar size trailer with a 3.0 equipped truck running up and down that run.

Edited by redwngr

On 2/9/2020 at 1:13 PM, Co Greg said:

Does anyone have actual information on gas mileage differences when driving a 2020 RST with  a 6.2L with the max towing package and without?

The dealer says a couple of miles per gallon difference. 

Live in Colorado and tow a 6000 pound loaded camper up to Eisenhower tunnel. 

Debating if I need the package or not.

It comes with a lot more than just steeper gearing, get it.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with all the positive comments,  I was very surprised by the ride, I drove 2 hours to drive a max tow that was in stock, really impressed best ride of all the options I feel,  enough to buy one,