2018 Silverado 5.3 Liter Oil Capacity

There are better filters than OEM and they don't cost that much more.

Always buy better.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Buy smart, as with any filter, check to make sure your oil pressure is in good standing.

Sent from Above

21 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

My 6.2 takes 8 quarts, I add 1/4 extra just for good measure lol.

2c060f69b6875395b856904302e6492e.jpg662fb075cda0e2c8e9f9599f7a8847b5.plist

Notice the excellent flow just at idle, woohoo Amsoil oil and filter allows much better flow than the Wix XP ever did and tons better than the oem too. .

Sent from Above

Course you add 1/4 extra...course you do!  Just when I thought I had heard and seen it all?  

On 2/16/2020 at 6:55 AM, Mike Mag said:

the 8th digit from the left is C.  (From the right is J)  In response to the earlier replies, the engine is definitely the 5.3 V8

Just to get back to the OPs question, 

After you put 6 quarts in, are you starting it, letting it cycle(filling oil filter) then checking it again? 

On 2/16/2020 at 6:55 AM, Mike Mag said:

the 8th digit from the left is C.  (From the right is J)  In response to the earlier replies, the engine is definitely the 5.3 V8

VIN's read left to right, so a C would designate a 5.3, an H would be a V-6 (4.3) and a J would be a 6.2.

Just to get back to the OPs question, 

After you put 6 quarts in, are you starting it, letting it cycle(filling oil filter) then checking it again? 

It’s an old thread, sure OP has figured it out by now.

Sent from Above

On 2/17/2020 at 3:01 PM, TXGREEK said:

My 6.2 takes 8 quarts, I add 1/4 extra just for good measure lol.

2c060f69b6875395b856904302e6492e.jpg662fb075cda0e2c8e9f9599f7a8847b5.plist

Notice the excellent flow just at idle, woohoo Amsoil oil and filter allows much better flow than the Wix XP ever did and tons better than the oem too. .

Sent from Above

umm, not that Amsoil isn't good, but I have never seen a vehicle with an oil flow meter?  The gauge is oil pressure, which is determined by the resistance to flow.  If changing to the Amsoil oil/filter shows higher pressure on the gauge that means it is more difficult to flow (more likely higher filtration/restriction in the filter itself), though it could also be higher from the old/previous oil thinning over time.

Edited by kojimep

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 10:35 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Absolute: Filter Rating meaning 99.9% of the particles larger than a specified micron rating will be trapped on or within the filter. (Good luck getting that number and it is way larger than you think, like 35 to 45 micron) 

Nominal: Filter Rating indicating the approximate size particle, the majority of which will not pass through the filter.

A WIX 10255 (NAPA 100255) has a nominal rating of 21 Micron.

Traps 20 micron at a 95.0% efficiency which means 5% of all particles are larger than 20 micron. (See Absolute rating above)

Traps 6 micron at a 50% efficiency.  

An AC-Delco PF63E has a nominal rating of 25 Micron. 

4 micro is a difference of 0.00015748 inches!

Nothing wrong with the AC-Delco filter. 

Just picked up CASE of these excellent filters!

• Thanks 1

umm, not that Amsoil isn't good, but I have never seen a vehicle with an oil flow meter?  The gauge is oil pressure, which is determined by the resistance to flow.  If changing to the Amsoil oil/filter shows higher pressure on the gauge that means it is more difficult to flow (more likely higher filtration/restriction in the filter itself), though it could also be higher from the old/previous oil thinning over time.

That’s a negative, it’s exactly where it needs to be, previous Oem filters were low at 25 psi and highest at 42psi which shouldn’t have that much difference in psi. I’ve always had great luck with the Amsoil oil filter. Pure 100% Synthetic Signature Series 0W20 stays consistent throughout and where the oem and Wix all kept low oil pressure and wouldn’t get to the point it needed to this Amsoil is perfect. Keeps it steady at 36psi and raises max to 42psi which is awesome. I feel it in its performance too, much more happier with the Amsoil filter.

Amsoil oil filter has been the only filter that stays consistent, without going from 20-35 psi difference. My engine runs much better with it.

Sent from Above

Just picked up CASE of these excellent filters!

I’ve heard that the OEM filters are made with blend material which is what’s minimally required to filter synthetic oils. Only thing I don’t like about these OEM filters is that they’re completely made out of cardboard and don’t use metal backing at all, they use plastic in place of metal. To each their own, if it works for you then that’s great!

Sent from Above

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve heard that the OEM filters are made with blend material which is what’s minimally required to filter synthetic oils. Only thing I don’t like about these OEM filters is that they’re completely made out of cardboard and don’t use metal backing at all, they use plastic in place of metal. To each their own, if it works for you then that’s great!

Sent from Above

Ya heard wrong. Go over to BITOG and look up the filter guide. Have a look at the inside of the PF63. 

• Like 1

Ya heard wrong. Go over to BITOG and look up the filter guide. Have a look at the inside of the PF63. 

Now wait a darn minute! You telling me that not everything you see on YouTube is real, just fake news??!! So the GM oil filter is not made out of cardboard with plastic backing mesh?

Sent from Above

No thanks Grumpy, I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about the cardboard like filtration tearing and coming apart. I’ll stick with my full synthetic filtration and stainless screen backing, so much more heavier duty of a build. I’d be all over the GM OEM filter if it wasn’t for the above I’ve mentioned in addition to the thinner filter housing. I did also hear they used to make a performance filter that was built with synthetic filtration and heavy duty stainless backing, just haven’t heard anything about them or if they’re even available

Sent from Above

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

No thanks Grumpy, I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about the cardboard like filtration tearing and coming apart. I’ll stick with my full synthetic filtration and stainless screen backing, so much more heavier duty of a build. I’d be all over the GM OEM filter if it wasn’t for the above I’ve mentioned in addition to the thinner filter housing. I did also hear they used to make a performance filter that was built with synthetic filtration and heavy duty stainless backing, just haven’t heard anything about them or if they’re even available

Sent from Above

The performance filter is a UPF63R.  It is what GM puts on the Corvette.  A beefed up version of the PF63E.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1