2018 Silverado 5.3 Liter Oil Capacity

I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this question has already been covered. I change the oil myself on my 2018 Silverado 5.3 liter. The manual says it should hold 8 quarts but it only holds 6 quarts. I researched and found out the 2019 holds only 6 quarts. I bought my truck new at the end of the model year. Is it possible it has the 2019 motor? 

5.3L / 6.2L hold 8 qts

4.3L (V6) holds 6 qts.  You sure you got a 5.3L???

Btw, oil filler cap on 4.3L will say 5W-30 oil whereas the 5.3L and 6.2L will say 0W-20.

https://techlink.mynetworkcontent.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/05-TechLink-engine-oil-capacities-A-2016-2018.pdf

https://techlink.mynetworkcontent.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/TechLink-engine-oil-capacities-A-2019-2020.pdf

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:56 PM, Mike Mag said:

I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this question has already been covered. I change the oil myself on my 2018 Silverado 5.3 liter. The manual says it should hold 8 quarts but it only holds 6 quarts. I researched and found out the 2019 holds only 6 quarts. I bought my truck new at the end of the model year. Is it possible it has the 2019 motor? 

Welcome to the site.

Never mind the welcome wagon, seems that is what they do to make you feel at home....

What is the 8th digit of your VIN?

Like others have said, the previous gen L83 is really very similar to the T1 5.3, the main difference being autostart (shuts the engine off and on in traffic) and the ability to disable and engage a finer number of cylinders than just V4 or V8. Other than that, they are very much the same, and both should hold 8 quarts.

I can't quote which TSB, but there was one that said 8.5 quarts as stated in the manual for K2 5.3s is a bit too high, but won't hurt anything. 8 quarts for a refill is just fine.

I did 8.5 for the time I had my 2014 5.3, and saw no ill effect. I've had my 2017 even longer and only have done 8 quart fills, and that's been fine as well.

If you're reading full at 6 quarts, you have something other than a 5.3.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk