2019 6.2 bad engine.....

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the 6.2? My sister 2019 of 6 months and 12,000 miles drinks oil! 20oz every 500 miles...

she is only 19 so they won’t give her a rental when she takes it in for service either and it’s absolutely Ridiculous that she spent all this money on an ltz but they do nothing for her! 

I came here in hopes that someone knows of an issue with 6.2’s? 

also if anyone knows how we could ask gm to put us in a different vehicle? That would very helpful! This is the second vehicle from Chevy that has had motor issues off the line! The first was a 2015 Malibu that’s now on the 4th engine at only 80k..... we honestly just don’t want to have a brand new truck with a used engine at only 12 k... that’s a little absurd don’t you think? 

E329FD99-F3E6-46EE-8E73-D22705BBACC8.jpeg

23 hours ago, Cody1256 said:

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the 6.2? My sister 2019 of 6 months and 12,000 miles drinks oil! 20oz every 500 miles...

she is only 19 so they won’t give her a rental when she takes it in for service either and it’s absolutely Ridiculous that she spent all this money on an ltz but they do nothing for her! 

I came here in hopes that someone knows of an issue with 6.2’s? 

also if anyone knows how we could ask gm to put us in a different vehicle? That would very helpful! This is the second vehicle from Chevy that has had motor issues off the line! The first was a 2015 Malibu that’s now on the 4th engine at only 80k..... we honestly just don’t want to have a brand new truck with a used engine at only 12 k... that’s a little absurd don’t you think? 

E329FD99-F3E6-46EE-8E73-D22705BBACC8.jpeg

Well direct injection engines are without a doubt going to gobble down some oil but imo 20oz every 500 miles is definitely excessive imo. Maybe some here with canisters on their 6.2's can chime in to see how much they have collected in that amount of mileage.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

Well direct injection engines are without a doubt going to gobble down some oil but imo 20oz every 500 miles is definitely excessive imo. Maybe some here with canisters on their 6.2's can chime in to see how much they have collected in that amount of mileage.

I don’t have a can, but I have 23k on my 2019 6.2L and haven’t had any meaningful consumption between changes (every 5k miles or so) and have never had to add any. I’d be going nuts if mine used 20 oz in five THOUSAND miles at this point in its life! Your sister definitely had some bad luck. I wonder if a lemon law could help you out. I think they vary state by state. Don’t know the details, but it might be worth a look. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

GM service department should run an oil consumption test. SOP. If it is outside of GMs consumption parameters, GM will repair. IF they cannot fix it in the given time, then you have wiggle room on another ride from GM. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Stex said:

GM service department should run an oil consumption test. SOP. If it is outside of GMs consumption parameters, GM will repair. IF they cannot fix it in the given time, then you have wiggle room on another ride from GM. 

They are running the test. And it’s still losing oil. I kinda hope that they hear us out and transfer vehicles. To me having a replaced engine in a brand new truck is basically not a new truck. It’s like buying a headache. 

They won't just give her a new truck. The cost to put a new engine in is far cheaper than giving her a new truck.

The fact of the matter is, is that they don't care about what you think as far as your opinion on it being a "new" truck. 

You guys have your two options already. Either let them carry on with the testing and have them rebuild/replace the engine. (which seems very likely with that amount of oil consumption) Or just trade the truck in and get something else.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, relevante said:

I don’t have a can, but I have 23k on my 2019 6.2L and haven’t had any meaningful consumption between changes (every 5k miles or so) and have never had to add any. I’d be going nuts if mine used 20 oz in five THOUSAND miles at this point in its life! Your sister definitely had some bad luck. I wonder if a lemon law could help you out. I think they vary state by state. Don’t know the details, but it might be worth a look. Good luck.

Same here. 21k and never had to add oil.

20 oz loss every 500 miles is way to much. My 6.2 does not lose any noticeable amounts. Once they complete the test, the engine will probably be changed. Depending on the dealer, you really will not know the difference. Take a good look at the vehicle with the service writer before they change the engine to make sure any damage is repaired under warranty or free. If they decide to change the engine, keep all the paperwork and get familiar with your state's lemon laws to ensure you know how to proceed if the vehicle stays at the dealership for a extended amount of time.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Update* 

Took the truck to the dealer. They have been doing 500 mile consumption tests. 

after 2000 miles still no verdict has been reached.  

I decided To speak to a gm relations representative. He advised us to get a second opinion from another dealer. And upon speaking to two other dealers. We would have to redo the tests from scratch. however these dealers stated that over 2000 miles is excessive in This diagnosis process. 

today we will be taking the truck in for another consumption test and asking about possible resolutions in a more upfront and stern tone.   

I feel better after talking to multiple dealers and the gm rep. As they  assured me that documenting our experience and issues would help in a buyback Or lemon law situation.

issues so far-

no rental coverage when truck needs warranty work. She is not 21 however she was allowed to test drive the 65,000 truck... but can not use the 20,000 cruise as a rental. Was also told they would not reimburse her for enterprise. Even though it’s stated in the lease that gm would. 

we were denied access to oil consumption records and work orders. They simply said we won’t give you those you do not need them

finally the gm requirement for oil consumption in her specific truck is 2000 miles at 500 intervals. No more then 1 quart (.95) to be exact.
This dealership not only told us 1500 miles but then extended it and  said they want to do another 1500 to 3000. (this is unnecessary as I have checked the dipstick before we go in and it has most definitely lost more than  1 quart in the 2000 miles we have taken it in.) 

i Was advised to continue with the dealers requests and to open a claim against the dealer through the representative to start negotiating on a potential buy back of the vehicle. 

with any luck we might only lose 1-3 thousand dollars (including the Borla exhaust and wrap) in a buy back scenario or possible trade in for a reduced price on another vehicle.

I’ll keep you all updated. 

Why are you here!?  This is a Chevy forum .. you know that right!!!
It's a troubleshooting forum, most people, in this section at least, are having problems with their vehicles and can be considering other options.

I have a 2019 Sierra, I have different problems every week, if I had to do it over again, I would have bought something else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mikedfw said:

It's a troubleshooting forum, most people, in this section at least, are having problems with their vehicles and can be considering other options.

I have a 2019 Sierra, I have different problems every week, if I had to do it over again, I would have bought something else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

All manufacturers have some kind of issues with their vehicles NONE are perfect.. sierras and silverados are good trucks. In this case I agree she has one of the defective ones and it sucks . I traded in my 2016 LT with 75k miles with not a single issue.. I’m sorry you are having problems with your 2019.. once they work out the bugs under warranty everything will be fine.. GMC Sierra is a beautiful truck I almost bought one but went with the trail boss instead because GMC dealer by me was playing games 

• Like 2