A different kind of tonneau question

I launch and retrieve a boat by myself often.  I am hoping that I will be able to get in the truck bed after securing the boat when taking out and clambering over the side so I don’t get my feet wet in colder weather.  

I also want to put a tonneau cover on.  Are the rails on them strong enough that I won’t damage them climbing over the side or are some of them too flimsy to risk this?

I am not looking to stand on the cover.  It will be retracted so I can stand in the bed. 

I am asking if I can damage the rails on something like a Retrax or Bakflip as I climb over the side. 

Climbing over them? Probably not if you’re careful. But I would say if I flat out stepped on my Bak X4 rails, they would get tweaked or the clamps would shift. Have not confirmed, too fat to attempt that stunt. I just go in the water.

I ended up getting another Solid Fold 2.0 with the new Silverado...not the most waterproof but the benefits outweigh the negatives..the best part about it is that is sits on top of the bed rails so nothing is bolted onto the sides of the bed...I have stood on the sides of the bed without any damage. The kids will sit and stand and sit on it...But with my 240 lbs I would not stand in the middle

Trying to help.

Been boating for years.

Launch and retrieve a 20 foot walk through by myself.

I back trailer close to the dock when retrieving. Step from dock to bumper. Stand on trailer tongue to hook winch rope.

Never get my feet wet.

Launch by backing close to dock. Hook a dock rope to trailer. Back down far enough for boat to float off trailer.

Grab rope from trailer while standing on the dock and tie boat to dock.

Never get my feet wet.

Park truck.

My boat has 3 sets of guide-ons. It will load in windy conditions with ease.

spacer.png

:)

• Like 1

Unfortunately the ramps I use have no dock to step onto.  While I can stand on the tongue to hook up I can’t get around the back end of the truck without stepping in the water. So I go in the water. In the summer that is no big deal as I just wear sandals.  In colder weather I change into a pair of rubber boots to go in the water.  I was thinking that with the Denali I am about to buy if I put the right tonneau cover on it I can step in the bed after hooking up and climb over the side. 

Since I haven’t actually seen the rail system on these covers I don’t know how robust or flimsy they are. 

On 3/17/2020 at 9:55 PM, zelmo said:

I am not looking to stand on the cover.  It will be retracted so I can stand in the bed. 

I am asking if I can damage the rails on something like a Retrax or Bakflip as I climb over the side. 

I have a tonnopro soft cover. The rails on it could handle an average male climbing over them, using reasonable discretion, as they sit mostly inside the box rail. I can stand on the box side if I need to. I'd be more concerned about scuffing the paint on the box side IMO.