285/65/18 Cooper Discoverer XLT's on a bone stock Silverado

I understand there are lots of tire threads on here as I have been through most of them on this forum, I am simply looking for anybody who might be running 285/65/18 Cooper Discoverer XLT's on a non leveled completely stock 14-18 Silverado? 

The tire size is only slightly bigger than what would be on the 285/45/22 option Chevy offers in these years so I am just looking to see if there is anyone out there who can confirm this setup would work. 

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

While it's not the same size that you're asking about, I'm running 275/70/18 Cooper XLT's on a stock '18 4wd.  I think it looks great.  Here's a pic from the dealership website before I bought it.

580423285_b11eb7808bca4c4fa167ad7cdfa36da4_002-Cropped.jpg.ed751f9431ad59fa353f3e3a422a7461.jpg

53 minutes ago, belchfire said:

While it's not the same size that you're asking about, I'm running 275/70/18 Cooper XLT's on a stock '18 4wd.  I think it looks great.  Here's a pic from the dealership website before I bought it.

580423285_b11eb7808bca4c4fa167ad7cdfa36da4_002-Cropped.jpg.ed751f9431ad59fa353f3e3a422a7461.jpg

Really appreciate the feedback, no level or lift on the front end? No rubbing at full lock? And lastly, how do you like the tires? How do they handle on the highway? 

They are slightly larger than the tire size you're asking about, so you should be fine. Can't say that I've tested them to full lock (I bought it this way), but I haven't noticed any interference and there are no tell-tale rub marks under the fenders. They are surprisingly quiet for an all terrain tire.  They ride good to me, but I've only had it for a couple of weeks and 6-700 miles so far. I'm looking at the Rough Country speedometer calibrator though, because my speedo is about 3 mph slow.  I don't know your expectations, but for me, these tires look good, ride good and appear to get fair mileage. Right now, I'm at 21.Xmpg for 50 and 400 mile avgs. I'm happy all the way around.

Edited by belchfire

53 minutes ago, Michael Alexis said:

Really appreciate the feedback, no level or lift on the front end? No rubbing at full lock? And lastly, how do you like the tires? How do they handle on the highway? 

I have the same tires, but in the 4S version which is P rated. Not the XLT which is load E, like you are looking at.

I love the tires, great ride, great traction in snow, quiet on the road. I highly recommend. Load E will be slightly different than my ride, but I'm confident you will like the tires.

10 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I have the same tires, but in the 4S version which is P rated. Not the XLT which is load E, like you are looking at.

I love the tires, great ride, great traction in snow, quiet on the road. I highly recommend. Load E will be slightly different than my ride, but I'm confident you will like the tires.

Great looking truck! Just to confirm are you running 275/70/18 or 285/65/18? And did you have to level the front end to make them fit?

Also, great to hear Cooper is still making a quality tire, had a couple pairs of the old AT3's on my 2007 Silverado, great tire! 

12 minutes ago, Michael Alexis said:

Great looking truck! Just to confirm are you running 275/70/18 or 285/65/18? And did you have to level the front end to make them fit?

Also, great to hear Cooper is still making a quality tire, had a couple pairs of the old AT3's on my 2007 Silverado, great tire! 

sorry, I didn't specify, I'm running OEM size which is 265/65/18.

I did add Timbrens on the front for snow plowing, but other than that stock suspension. So my front end is maybe 1/2" higher than stock.

2 minutes ago, aseibel said:

sorry, I didn't specify, I'm running OEM size which is 265/65/18.

I did add Timbrens on the front for snow plowing, but other than that stock suspension. So my front end is maybe 1/2" higher than stock.

Roger that, thank you for the input 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 8:59 AM, belchfire said:

They are slightly larger than the tire size you're asking about, so you should be fine. Can't say that I've tested them to full lock (I bought it this way), but I haven't noticed any interference and there are no tell-tale rub marks under the fenders. They are surprisingly quiet for an all terrain tire.  They ride good to me, but I've only had it for a couple of weeks and 6-700 miles so far. I'm looking at the Rough Country speedometer calibrator though, because my speedo is about 3 mph slow.  I don't know your expectations, but for me, these tires look good, ride good and appear to get fair mileage. Right now, I'm at 21.Xmpg for 50 and 400 mile avgs. I'm happy all the way around.

Any update on the tire itself or any possible rubbing? 

No rubbing; I've driven it about 1000 miles so far.  However, mine are mostly highway miles, so I'm not really putting them to the test.  Nice tires; quiet, smooth ride, good stance and just a good looking tire.  

Incidentally, I just calibrated my speedometer and HOLY BUTTER, Batman!  This thing drives SO MUCH better now!   In addition to the accuracy of the speedometer, it also moved the shift points.  No more struggling to stay at 60 mph any more.  My fuel mileage has gone up too, but I suspect that's only in the number, because it's registering more miles now than before.  Truth be told, the jury is still out on the fuel mileage until I get some more miles on it; I only updated it this weekend.  The speedometer calibrator from Rough Country is well worth the cost!

Edited by belchfire