Guys arguing online is like pissing up a rope! I appreciate the info. I think the Duramax is just going to be too much $$$. I’m down to a Titan or this 2.7. I’m a teacher who has a school with an auto tech program so the kids change my oil(I always double check). T y all! 

Plenty of owners have been happy with their 2.7 and its a great little engine, especially for city driving.  From what little I have gathered from other peoples posts, long distance hwy driving mpg hasn't been as good as expected, but still decent.  City driving is where is usually shines over the other available engine options.  I don't know what real world ratings are for the 2.7 engine.  If you are ever going to put any weight in the bed of your truck, or if you expect prolonged trips with a large family, the 2.7 might be under-powered for for your needs and deliver a less than expected MPG.  Otherwise, get the 2.7 and enjoy, it's a great/stout small liter motor that's capable of good results.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

I love my 2.7. It makes good power down low, pulls my small trailer when needed and does well on gas considering it’s a full size truck. I really love driving the truck, I have had it since September. Boosted engines are always just more fun to drive lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I bought my 2019 new back in October. I now have 16K miles on it. Didn’t know if I had made a mistake by not going with the 5.3.

After the time I have spent with it, I have towed a 3400 lb car on a uhaul auto transport. Needless to say, the 2.7 was more than capable. I averaged 13-14 on a 3 hour trip driving 60-70 mph on tow/haul mode on the interstate. I can get 22 mpg @ 70-80 mph when driving without a payload. If I keep it at 60-65, I can push 24. City driving I can get 20-21 depending on traffic. Uber puts my truck though a mixture of hwy/cty/idling; when I Uber, I’ll get 17-19 due to longer idling periods.

All in all, I don’t have any regrets. It meets my needs and I don’t have to pay the premiums for the V8 or a baby Duramax. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got my 2.7 last week. I love it so far. 

I was really torn between this one and the diesel. 

I watched about four hours of YouTube videos. Honestly 95% of all the comments about the small engine on the professional reviews were really well. Literally the only knock people can say about the truck is number one the sound, and number two was towing above 7000 pounds.

for me, I really didn’t care about either of those. Of course I want to be able to tow when I need to, and I did take comfort in the fact that when I watched the towing test online. When this truck is equipped with the proper weight it is permitted to carry, it was actually a top performer towing wise. It made it up the mountain in the same time the 3.5 Ford eco-boost did in the Ike  gauntlet challenge.

I got 21 miles a gallon combined driving in my first tank using manual calculation methods.

Since my truck will mainly be a commuter vehicle, I really wanted which ever option would be the best long-term financially for me. I really think that for myself and probably most people that option is the four banger.

forgot to mention I’m crew cab, 4wd with factory 20s on truck.n

Edited by Dinozero
  • Like 1

What amazes me is the rpm at 75 mph is only like 1500-1600 with this 8-speed, and the torque means it never downshifts on a grade. Only 2000 miles so far for me and new to the site, but the engine sound is the only thing weird coming from several 5.3's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Finn said:

I’m starting the buying process now. It’s down to price. Lol. Always is right?

Should be able to get a good deal right now. A lot of buyers are holding off thinking about being employed.

Let us know what you get!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, Brian Finn said:

So as I research the 2.7 the transmission shudder issue seems to pop up... it appears that there was a fluid change and it helped some but not others... smh. 

The shudder issues were with the 2019 earlier versions of the 8 speed trans.  In March of 2019, they replaced the fluid used to avoid it absorbing too much moisture.

In my 2019 Colorado, I had a build date of October 2018, and had the horrible shudder, among other issues, however, the new fluid fixed most of it.  If you have a truck with a build date after March, 2019 (which you likely do getting a new 2020), then you're good.

I got a 2020 2.7L with the 8 speed last month and the trans is night and day from my Colorado, which got traded in.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:43 PM, steve841 said:

Not to mention most reviews of the 2.7 aren't very flattering.  

Did you read one review and it happened to be one of the poor ones and just associate that with all reviews? Most of the reviews I have been seeing have been positive, very positive. For every bad review there are 4 or 5 positive ones. Even most of the mpg themed reviews, unless they are running 75+ in boost that is the only time I am seeing poor mpg, are positive it seems. The power of the motor gets the most recognition. Not bad in the Silverado, but it will shine in the Colorado and deem the 2.8 diesel irrelevant. The 3.0 is nice, but unless towing regularly lighter weights or just concerned with mpg on long highway jaunts it will still be the least picked kid in gym class. Then you have to weigh in all the other costs associated with that motor (trim level, engine option cost, financing, insurance, maintenance, fuel costs, etc) and it really becomes hard to justify unless long term well past 100k miles. 

Tyler