Wiper blade replacement options?

I've searched past threads (linked below) to see what other owners have done when changing out the OEM blades, but didn't find anything recent so thought I'd start a thread to ask....

Don't drive my truck all that much (primarily and infrequently used to tow enclosed trailer) so the OEM blades have been fine unchanged since purchase in 2016.  Last time out, it rained and they started really chattering.  While I know I can polish the windshield for some improvement, the blades are likely due anyway after four years.

I've had good luck on other vehicles with Bosch and higher end Trico blades.  Very little snow here in NC, mainly rain when I use them.  Anybody got more recent experience on blades specific to our truck?

Searched threads

------------------------------

no-HD blade thread

wiper chatter 

I just put a pair of Bosch OE icon, I think is what they were, on my 15.  Not a perfect fit, but they are tight and didn't come off running full blast on a road trip we just took in a blinding rainstorm.  The passenger side fit well, but the tabs didn't fit the drivers side arm the same.  I may take them back and look for something different.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bosch Icon.  I'm tired of the cheapy Goodyears or whatever they have at Costco only good for 6 months at the most.  Up here at altitude, UV and dry takes it toll quickly. 

• Thanks 1

I've been very happy with the OEM direct replacement ACDelco. I have got one bad wiper. Hard spot in the rubber. GM warranty gave me another free even at 2 years old. No adapter required so the fit right and work right. I get four to five years of northern Illinois weather service. 

Yes I am a glass cleaning fanatic ?.  I also drive 25-30K a year. Wipers were never intended to clean of ice, tree debris or dried bugs and bird crap. Keep the glass clean and wipers serviced and they just work when needed. Use Rain-X or Meguiar's liquid hybrid ceramic and you won't use those wipers often. Cleaning takes seconds.   

Wiper Tech def better than years ago ... I usually scrape the dead bugs off my windshield with a single edge razor like every week - amazing how bug inner parts stuff is like super glue on glass - could use it to re-glue the rear view mirror on +- lol

10 hours ago, Cosmic Charlie said:

Wiper Tech def better than years ago ... I usually scrape the dead bugs off my windshield with a single edge razor like every week - amazing how bug inner parts stuff is like super glue on glass - could use it to re-glue the rear view mirror on +- lol

I rode motorcycles for decades and found out that bug wings are like litter razor blades to fork seals and allot harder to replace. Worse on wiper blades. It's a softer rubber. 

Kid you not, this Meguiar's liquid hybrid ceramic is something. In the cool of the morning a COLD damp microfiber and they slide off. Darn near jump off the truck. Paint, glass, plastic, rubber.... 

I drive an hour near sundown. Wife likes to watch the sunsets and photograph them. Next morning it was Bounce sheets and a couple hours cleaning all forward surfaces and re-waxing. Takes me under five minutes with a bucket of cold water and microfiber to wipe down the entire truck now. 90 SECONDS to do the forward surfaces alone. Looks freshly washed every day in minutes. 

Got caught in that squall line that past though our area a few days ago that has a thousand utility trucks up here. Several  inches of water in minutes driven by 80 mph winds. Didn't even  run the wipers until I slowed low enough (blocking traffic) that the wind wasn't doing the wipers job.  

First time I used it I followed instructions and.....meh. Then I applied it after a good wash and clay but like a regular liquid wax and BOOM!! 

But any decent blade needs a clean surface to work well and last awhile. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, dave_clt said:

Don't drive my truck all that much (primarily and infrequently used to tow enclosed trailer) so the OEM blades have been fine unchanged since purchase in 2016. 

It's funny you mention that because I was just thinking about this on my way home in the rain today.  I bought my 2018 new 27 months ago and I'm still using the OEM blades.  Half a dozen times a year I'll wipe them down using a window cleaner (without alcohol or ammonia) but that's it.  I never thought I'd say this but when they do go I might just buy another set.  Generally I have to buy new blades every 1-1.5 years so even if they're typical GM over-priced if I only have to swap them every 3 years it might be worth it.

Edited by theJman