What is the 6.2 engine getting in MPG

26 minutes ago, kpanza said:

Averaging 12.9mpg over first 1850 miles.  SLT Crewcab w Max Tow.  Mostly city, but a couple longer highway trips thrown in.  Averaged about 18 on last trip 200 mile trip to mountains and back.  But in town, it struggles to get more than 12-13mpg (like others, includes lots of idling with a/c on, eating lunch inside some days, etc).  Best scenario I ever got was about 24mpg with cruise control set at 67mph, all highway (flat more or less) for about a 30 mile highway jaunt...

Can't believe that the 3.42 gears knock it down dramatically, but I sure as heck am not seeing this 18-20mpg a bunch of other guys claim!  I sure wish I did though!  My 2010 Silverado 6.2 (max tow with 3.73 and 6 speed) averaged 13.9 over it's 36,000 mile lease with me, so I was hoping this one would do a bit better in same driving conditions.

Doesn’t entirely make sense but it does sound like the 3.42s kill economy (along with obvious; city driving, idling and speed.) 

Since you and I are getting the exact same numbers, and nowhere near some of these other guys...not many other explanations.

This truck is a major pig compared to my 2016 5.3. The weight reduction and additional transmission gears do nothing since the new body style is so huge in comparison.

29 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Doesn’t entirely make sense but it does sound like the 3.42s kill economy (along with obvious; city driving, idling and speed.) 

Since you and I are getting the exact same numbers, and nowhere near some of these other guys...not many other explanations.

This truck is a major pig compared to my 2016 5.3. The weight reduction and additional transmission gears do nothing since the new body style is so huge in comparison.

I agree, it is just bigger in every way than my 2010.  With a 4 year old and the wife in the car most days, I am not hot rodding it...I'm actually TRYING to eke out a bit more MPG most days, but it doesn't seem to matter...so far is just stuck in the 12-13 range.  And this is on 91 (highest we can get in So Cal), not 87 octane...it does have the optional All Terrain tires on it, not All Seasons, but that is not gonna explain difference either. 

One thing I am wondering about is the Stop/Start system - I don't expect it to make a HUGE difference, but how long does yours shut off for at a light/stop, etc?  Because mine only shuts off for about 15-30 seconds max?  It doesn't stay off ANYWHERE near as long as our Pacifica minivan does?  That van will stay off for 1-2 minutes depending on how hot it is, a/c on, etc?  But my truck, in exact same conditions, driving style, etc, it will start back up super quickly...like I said, I've timed it and it's off for no more than 35 seconds at the longest? 

6 minutes ago, kpanza said:

I agree, it is just bigger in every way than my 2010.  With a 4 year old and the wife in the car most days, I am not hot rodding it...I'm actually TRYING to eke out a bit more MPG most days, but it doesn't seem to matter...so far is just stuck in the 12-13 range.  And this is on 91 (highest we can get in So Cal), not 87 octane...it does have the optional All Terrain tires on it, not All Seasons, but that is not gonna explain difference either. 

One thing I am wondering about is the Stop/Start system - I don't expect it to make a HUGE difference, but how long does yours shut off for at a light/stop, etc?  Because mine only shuts off for about 15-30 seconds max?  It doesn't stay off ANYWHERE near as long as our Pacifica minivan does?  That van will stay off for 1-2 minutes depending on how hot it is, a/c on, etc?  But my truck, in exact same conditions, driving style, etc, it will start back up super quickly...like I said, I've timed it and it's off for no more than 35 seconds at the longest? 

Yeah, I think right now it’s just too hot everywhere. If I forget to disable the feature it usually only shuts down for 15-30 seconds tops before the A/C starts blowing warm and needs to kick back on. One of the reasons I disable it...more harm than good for such a short shutdown interval.

In the fall or spring, ambient temps in the 40s or 50s, she’ll hit the shutdown time limit at long lights. Which I believe is around 2 minutes or so.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think right now it’s just too hot everywhere. If I forget to disable the feature it usually only shuts down for 15-30 seconds tops before the A/C starts blowing warm and needs to kick back on. One of the reasons I disable it...more harm than good for such a short shutdown interval.

In the fall or spring, ambient temps in the 40s or 50s, she’ll hit the shutdown time limit at long lights. Which I believe is around 2 minutes or so.
Mine rarely shuts off right now, too hot. Spring and fall it's far more noticeable. I wonder too if DFM is lessened when this hot too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Interesting...I'm guessing our beach weather is nowhere near as hot/humid as WI is this time of year, but I don't remember it staying off very long back in March either when I first got the truck.  a/c is set to 72, our average daytime temps lately are high 70s, low 80s...

Well, I didn't buy the 6.2 for mpg, but it would be nice if it could at least beat the 10 year old truck with its lower gears and 4 fewer trans gears!

18 minutes ago, kpanza said:

Interesting...I'm guessing our beach weather is nowhere near as hot/humid as WI is this time of year, but I don't remember it staying off very long back in March either when I first got the truck.  a/c is set to 72, our average daytime temps lately are high 70s, low 80s...

Well, I didn't buy the 6.2 for mpg, but it would be nice if it could at least beat the 10 year old truck with its lower gears and 4 fewer trans gears!

A lot of what the climate control does is based off the solar sensor on the dash rather than the temperature. I’m assuming since So Cal has plenty of sun, that might be placing extra demand on the A/C system beyond just temperature or humidity.

I’ve noticed on days that are not really hot but very sunny, my A/C runs too much for the temperature I set it at. Usually 70-72. I don’t think the programming for the climate control is optimal.

Just an observation, not really much we can do about it. Maybe tinted windows would help a bit but that’s not legal here.

2020 AT4 with the 6.2, OEM performance exhaust and CAI upgrade. Riding on 33" Nitto TG's

I'm averaging 15.4 at 6500 miles. I do step on it a bit I guess but there are a lot of highway miles on there. I usually put in on cruise at 74. 

Surprised to see the 18-20 averages... although I did pass my almost twin truck the other day, he was doing 60 at best, couldn't believe I saw the 6.2 badge on the side. I don't think my truck will even allow me to do less than the speed limit, ?

Edited by BassNBrew
  • Haha 1

I rented a 2020 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L for a work trip. Mostly highway miles from middle TN to northwest AR. I only put 87 in it, and drove it for almost 1200 miles.

Best single tank of gas: 20.1 mpg

Overall trip: 19.8 mpg

2 hours ago, Chebby said:

I rented a 2020 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L for a work trip. Mostly highway miles from middle TN to northwest AR. I only put 87 in it, and drove it for almost 1200 miles.

Best single tank of gas: 20.1 mpg

Overall trip: 19.8 mpg

And the engine didn't blow up using 87? You dont say! what a shocker! lol J/K ....some folks on here insist the 6.2 needs 91 which is 100% false. Maybe if your towing 9k pounds up a hill in 90* degree weather the 91 helps but for 95% of driving the 87 does just fine. 

I have driven on 87 and 91 and feel zero difference and MPG is also no difference. 

• Like 1

Did a round trip from STL to lake of the Ozarks over the weekend got 19.6 mpg with the cruise set to 75 mph most of the way there, filled up (1/2 tank) with ethanol free 91 octane and got 21.8 mpg on the way back with the cruise set to 80 most of the way.   

Mine has the 6.2, max tow package and otherwise stock. 

Edited by Greyhound6.2

I believe it. I fill up whenever I am in Mexico.. gotta love the Pemex gasoline, no ethanol bullshit in it like California's. I get about 5 mpg better.

I have gotten 28 mpg out of my truck that way, going 65 mph on a very flat surface.

2020 Denali w6.2 and stock 22” wheels. 18.6 on my last highway trip. And usually around 15 in the city. No where near what I expected. The mpg has been the only thing I’ve been disappointed in with this truck.